Habitation check quote

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by suntorfan, Feb 13, 2010.

1. suntorfan

suntorfan Read Only Funster

Hi, just been quoted £170.00 + VAT for annual habitation check (first one) Compass 115 Avantgarde - medium size.

Have been looking at old posts on this generally but wondered if anyone had just had one and what was size of the bill? Would be grateful for any answers - many thanks!:Eek!:

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

For example my prices:

SERVICE CHARGES
    Motorhome Habitation service £135.00 + vat
    Mechanical service £145.00 + vat
    Single axle caravans £160.00 + vat
    Double axle caravans £180.00 + vat

All plus parts and materials

Peter

3. errpaul

errpaul Funster

That's exactly what we've just been quoted and my reaction was the same as yours :Eeek:
    Apparently it takes 4 hours for the habitaion check. I don't actually know what this involves, as we have just been sent a letter from the dealer as it is nearly a year since we bought the van now.
    Can anyone enlighten me as to what the usual habitaion check involves?

4. keith

keith Funster

Before you commit contact Mark at C.L.S. he will even call on you if it's on his way.

He's a member on here, I seem to recall he will be cheaper than the quote you have been given. PM him I think his 'handle' is C.L.S.

5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Excellent suggestion, Mark covers the Midlands mainly. Just Google Central Leisure Services

Peter

6. madbluemad

madbluemad

Its not that the habitation check is of any use, because its not, its imo a waste of money.

The problem that people have is that the warranty will be invalidated unless it is carried out.

There is a Habitation Check List posted on the forum. Do a search and you will see the sought of nonsense that you are paying good money for.

Jim
    :Smile:

7. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

8. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

There is Dave Newell who advertises on this site::Smile:

Quote from Dave Newells website: (Site Sponsor)

"The work takes around three hours to complete and includes a full electrical system check including 12 and 240 Volt systems, a full damp test and visual inspection, tyre inspection for date type and condition, gas system inspection including regulator age and operation, hoses age and condition and gas tightness. A flue gas analysis is carried out on items such as gas fired space and water heaters. I can also now check Axle weights up to 2000kg per axle. Habitation Service £123.38 inc Vat"

http://www.davenewell.co.uk/

9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Dave's got a lovely dog called Dexter too! :Smile:

You need to check what the conditions of your warranty are and/or the contract you took out with your dealer. It may be that you HAVE to take it back to them for the habitation service to stay within the terms of the warranty, however you should NOT have to take it to them for the base vehicle service and so long as you take it to a place that is VAT registered and uses genuine parts for your base vehicle your warranty with the manufacturer should remain intact. For example, we've just had our Rimor base vehicle service done (Ford) at a local garage and including the damp check (not a full habitation as we don't have to have one annually), it cost £149.00 inc VAT.

10. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Got to disagree there - the habitation checks that we used to have on our Burstner caravan included services on the boiler - heating system - gas system - brakes etc etc and if we had the service / habitation done then any problems we had were always sorted FOC ( we did have one or two minor ones) also if anything happens to the van and you have good service records then the insurance will always pay top price because the condition can be proven in the event of a claim. When we sold it the price we got was well over book price as it was in mint condition with a full record we certainly got more than our money back for the care and maintainance we put into it.

11. mikeange

mikeange Read Only Funster

Hi
    Just had 2nd habitation service done at Marquis, Poole, Dorset....cost £99-00 (services done for warantee.. 3rd year now)
    Had my 2nd service on Bolero 680fb 2008.....£279.84 at fiat / swift agent poole... Essanjay Ltd.Poole.
    regards mike

12. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

Can I add that Dave does a great job (watch out for the soppy dog :Smile:) There's also a great site across the road http://www.severngorgepark.co.uk/

13. wp1234

wp1234

Due for my Fiat service and habitation check at Slaters North Wales £400 for both incl VAt . Not the cheapest for sure but it’s the most convenient geographically for me.
    Owned a boat for years and never even heard of a b***dy habitation check, IMHO the it’s a warranty rip off that new MOHO owners are all more or less forced to accept .

14. ips

ips Read Only Funster

I too have had boats for years and this hab check is new to me too as i said in my post on same matter last week it sounds like money making thing to me

15. duetto owner

duetto owner Read Only Funster

we have been quoted £425 for our first 0ne year service on a ford transit duetto includes both vehicle and habitation service, feel tied to it as its the first service and the guarentee will cover any faults hopefully.

whats you opinion of this.

16. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster

Service

You don't have to have it serviced with the dealer There probably are cheaper options avail to you but you do need to do your homework For example I have always had my vans serviced at my local garage with warrenty still intact!!

17. billkce

billkce Funster

SMC - 77 Motors in Newark just quoted me £95 for a service :BigGrin:, £145 for habitation & £54 for the MOT.:thumb:

Seems good value to me for my Dakota.:Laughing:

18. woodyold

woodyold Read Only Funster

If youve got a marquis motorhome dealers near you theyre doing hab service for £99 inclusive of vat .:Wink:

19. suntorfan

suntorfan Read Only Funster

Hi there, sending you a PM (haven't done this before so hope you get it!!):Eeek:

20. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Only other comment I would make is that if you buy a new or used Motorhome from me, you get FIVE years free habitation sevices in with the price:thumb:

Peter