Habitation certificate

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by irnbru, Aug 26, 2013.

1. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

So today we found out we don't actually have an up to date habitation certificate. We thought the previous owners said they had it done and with all the paperwork we never checked. Now we have and its 16 month old.

How often should it be done. Is it like an MOT? We will get it done soon but do we get fined or anything if we happen to get stopped beforehand?

Thx

2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

There is no legal requirement for a hab check so you won't get fined.

• Like Like x 1
  3. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I would add that having a regular habitation check can help when you come to sell your m/h.

However most of the jobs are quite simple and could be DIY but it's particularly worth keeping a check on damp ingress.

4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

It may also be a condition of your insurance (like ours) that gas installations are checked at least annually.

• Like Like x 1
  5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Nothing terrible. Fixed penalty offence so just £100 and 3 points. That's if you get caught and anyway you can take the Motorhome Awareness Course instead of the points and come away with a clean licence.

• Like Like x 10
  6. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Ignore Brian, hes forgotten to take his pill :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Hab service is not manadatory but it may affect any converters warranty on the conversion, not mechanical

Peter

• Like Like x 4
  7. SharonL

SharonL Read Only Funster

Thanks for posting this, my sister bought a new motorhome and has mentioned Habitation Checks to me but I forgot all about it when we bought our new-to-us-RV :Doh: so it was question I never even thought to ask about.

Good to know :thumb:

8. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

There isn't a hard and fast rule about annual habitation checks but if you want the manufacturer to honour any warranty work then it must be done or it will be invalidated. Once the warranty period has expired then you can please yourself if or when you have one done. You need to ask yourself if you want to risk driving a sponge on wheels around through neglect. We have a local body repair shop and I've seen the results of complacency and the cost to put them right, it's an eye opener.

• Like Like x 1
  9. voyagerstan

voyagerstan Read Only Funster

its just another way the caravan industry has devised to take some hard earned cash off you :hardhat: stan

• Like Like x 2
  10. robi49

robi49 Read Only Funster

Hab Test

Biggest worry is dampness and gas leaks (silent Killer)

I got a loan of a damp meter from a caravan retailer friend but my van is a dethleffs so it does not do damp according to a dealer.

Any way the 3 points and fine that Brian mentioned does not apply in Irn-Bru land as it is a dissolved issue:Rofl1:

robi.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SharonL

Sound advice, this explains why my sister buying a brand new MH had the Habitation Check in hand, our RV is 14 years old and (seems) to be in good shape from what we've been able to see so far but that's from layman's eyes.

If you could recommend anyone locally who could conduct a HC for us, would be grateful to know :thumb: I see you're in Lancashire, so am I.

Thanks

12. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

If it's got a timber frame ( not sure if it has, but most do ) then there is the potential for water ingress.

Ours got damp in the back due to the original owner backing into something and cracking the damp course. The sealing method was ridiculous, back bumper/panel glued down to habitation floor so crack that glue seal and "floor, here comes water". All so they didn't have to show a bead of sealant between the bumper and rear wall.

This rot was under and behind the toilet, very difficult to get at.

I removed the floor under the toilet with my fingernails.

It certainly has the fillet of sealant now !!

Yes, habitation checks are essential, where by dealer or DIY.

13. rangitira

rangitira Funster

We use the plumber that services our Boiler, he pressurises the gas system and leaves it hooked up to this thingee that looks like a Brickees Spirit Level with a Ladder Gauge on the front, for an Hour, to check for any leakage.
    The rest is fairly basic checking for leaks .damp etc etc. I check ours over at least once a week in Winter. and in Summer after heavy Rain in all the usual places, lockers, under windows around vents etc
    You'll soon get into it, and after a while can easily spot anything unusual.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SharonL

Thanks for the tips re plumber services :thumb: if they have a thingee that works well that I dont understand, that sounds good to me :Smile:. My fella lives in the RV so I think constant use helps to keep the place aired and damp at bay but we haven't had anything formally checked out yet, sounds like a sensible step :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  15. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

Hi Sharon L, you can contact Rossendale Mobile Caravan Services who are NCC approved on 01706 222414 mobile 07935 762822, a guy called Kevin and someone quite close to you is Emmbee Motorhomes at Bury 0161 797 2988. I have used Todds, Baldwins and Leisure Tech at Clitheroe who also carry out habitation checks. Any coach built bodywork that is glued and screwed together is prone to damp and water ingress no matter who has manufactured it. Van conversions can suffer as well because of all the roof lights and side windows but not from floor delamination unless it has been lined with timber. There will be other members on here who could also recommend companies that carry out habitation and damp checks. As a back up I have my own damp meter which is similar if not the same as the ones that dealers use, it cost just short of £150 but I'm not qualified or authorised to issue damp certificates.
    Just because a coach built motorhome might be brand new doesn't always exclude it from water ingress.

16. Merle

Merle Funster

It's all well and good having the hab checks done BUT many of the dealers do not have a qualified gas technician and so merely complete a visual test on the appliances plus I have it on very good authority that some of the 'larger' groups charge and awful lot extra to service the fridge. Just make absolutely sure you are getting what you expect to be for your money

• Like Like x 1
  17. stevensson10

stevensson10

habitation

its not illegal or law or anything. but have it done to be on the safe side.it is your life that could be at risk.also prospective buyers may want to see the certificate if you ever want to sell it. I have mine done every year and its booked in again for next Wednesday.the cost £150. but money well spent regards steve

18. rangitira

rangitira Funster

£150:Sad: Our Fella did the Gas for £40, in my backyard ,and, explained what he was doing every step of the way:thumb:

19. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

We have just been quoted £170 but since the MH isn't going to be used this winter we have decided just to wait until spring and have it carried out approx. same time as MOT.

Thanks for all the replies and input.

Sandra

20. voyagerstan

voyagerstan Read Only Funster

get an inflation check first . :Blush: stan

• Like Like x 1