Habitation Battery overheating (1 Viewer)

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hello, Can any kind person tell me why ? I have brought van home from storage after fitting new engine battery old one was dead :xangry: so I am on ehu to boost up the hab batteries with the onboard sargent unit, I have 2 x 110 amp ones which are about 3 years old and when I went into the van after about 18 hours on hook up there was a terrible pong from under the seat where the hab batts are located, one battery was cool and the other one was very hot to the touch so I have switched everything off and am waiting for things to cool down before I do anything. :xshout:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
remove and get the battery replaced. ask for compo for wasting your time and leccy as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No one has mentioned the most dangerous aspect of all this ..
PLEASE BE AWARE THE GAS GIVEN OFF IS EXTREMELY VOLATILE.. IT IS HYDROGEN !!!!

By now yours will be pretty much clear, but for anyone who gets the pong of rotten eggs please make sure the area is WELL ventilated and for goodness sake do not switch on or off anything IN the van. Disconnect the EHU lead from the opposite end to the van

I have seen the sides of building being taken out

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yet Zeppelins proved difficult to blow up for a VERY long time despite being full of it :xlaugh:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
It sounds like a massive overcharge but why just one??

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It sounds like a massive overcharge but why just one??
One knackered cell will drop the battery voltage even with two in parallel low enough to cause the charger to work at full output, most of that output will be converted to heat by the shorted cell thus depriving the other cells and the healthy battery from getting enough to cause a rise

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Last time i saw an exploded battery it was on a car.

The whole top cover had blown off causing some serious denting on the bonnet and one side had blown out.
acid everywhere.

This had happened as the driver turned the key to start the engine.....must have put a severe load on an already faulty battery.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
When we had a similar problem we blamed the dog for a while,does the gas rise or fall?should we ventilate top or bottom."I don't mean the dog"________Martin:sick:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Rises.. There is a bit of a hint in there .. they filled Zeps and dirigibles with the stuff :xwink:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
..........does the gas rise or fall?should we ventilate top or bottom."I don't mean the dog"________Martin:sick:

It will most definitely FALL..

Hydrogen is a colourless, odorless, tasteless gas.. lighter than air.. small amounts can be given off during normal charging.. what you smell is Hydrogen Sulphide..

Hydrogen sulfide is the chemical compound with the formula H2S.
It is a colorless gas with the characteristic foul odor of rotten eggs; it is heavier than air, very poisonous, corrosive, flammable, and explosive.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Don't attempt to disconnect the faulty battery until the motorhome has been well aired, as there's a high chance you'll get a spark.
Disconnect the EHU, then leave all windows and doors open.

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
I had a similar situation last year.
First thing I noticed was the panel showing about 3 amps charge going to the hab batteries when it should have dropped to zero.
On investigation I found one of the two hab batteries a little warm.
I turned off the charger and next day disconnected the faulty battery. Later when funds became available I replaced both on the assumption the the other probably wasn't far behind the first as both were originals fitted in 2005.

An interesting aside is that the failed battery was a second battery supplied by the dealer as the vehicle was originally fitted with only one by Rapido. It was also the furthest away one which leads me to think that there is something to the recommendation that multiple batteries should connected as show below
Parallel Battery Connection.gif

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I had a similar situation last year.
First thing I noticed was the panel showing about 3 amps charge going to the hab batteries when it should have dropped to zero.
On investigation I found one of the two hab batteries a little warm.
I turned off the charger and next day disconnected the faulty battery. Later when funds became available I replaced both on the assumption the the other probably wasn't far behind the first as both were originals fitted in 2005.

An interesting aside is that the failed battery was a second battery supplied by the dealer as the vehicle was originally fitted with only one by Rapido. It was also the furthest away one which leads me to think that there is something to the recommendation that multiple batteries should connected as show belowView attachment 50675

Wouldn't that give you 36v

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No, 12v.
You would have to connect the batteries in series ( + to minus on the next one and + to minus again )
All the -ves are joined as are all the +ves so 12v output

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
No, 12v.
You would have to connect the batteries in series ( + to minus on the next one and + to minus again )
All the -ves are joined as are all the +ves so 12v output

Ok.. I'm a novice so will read with interest.. why is there any difference between the set up suggested here and connecting all the batteries in parallel and then connecting to the system?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Some people use cable that is really too thin to carry the current without a voltage drop.. So on anything bar a very short run you end up with an imbalance and one battery never reaching the same potential as the other.
The cure ( as such ) if you have to have the batteries mounted well apart is to use really nice thick beefy cables ( jump lead sort of size )
Might sound OTT but it will minimise losses betwixt the batteries

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
All cable has some degree of resistance to current flowing through it. It is this fact that results in batteries downstream from the one which is connected directly to the source of discharge/charge being subjected to reduced discharge/charge. It is the reduced charging which in the long term can shorten its life.
Good beefy cabling will reduce the imbalance significantly but it is only by connecting them as shown in the diagram will all the batteries be subjected to equal demand and charging.
Realistically it probably matters not a lot but as a certain retailer says 'every little helps'

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Cannot argue with that J L..
But go to 10mm cable with a maximum current of 10 amps and I should think you would need a scope rather than a meter to detect the difference :xwink:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ok.. I'm a novice so will read with interest.. why is there any difference between the set up suggested here and connecting all the batteries in parallel and then connecting to the system?
In my opinion and for our useage type.....none.

If it was an emergency battery bank on constant charge with occasional load then maybe cross wired.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It's worth saying that, provided care is taken to insulate the leads, you can remove the duff battery and simply continue to use the remaining one(s) until it is convenient to replace both (all). [Can't remember whether you have two or three!]

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm a novice so will read with interest.. why is there any difference between the set up suggested here and connecting all the batteries in parallel and then connecting to the system?

if you are interested to know, then more reading here on connecting multiply batteries... however..

" if you only have 2 batteries, then simply linking them together and taking the main feeds from diagonally opposite corners cannot be improved upon... "

How to correctly interconnect multiple batteries to form one larger bank.
http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Gassing emits Hydrogen and oxygen and as stated is very explosive.

Risk of explosion[edit]

Car battery after explosion
Excessive charging electrolyzes some of the water, emitting hydrogen and oxygen. This process is known as "gassing". Wet cells have open vents to release any gas produced, and VRLA batteries rely on valves fitted to each cell. Catalytic caps are available for flooded cells to recombine hydrogen and oxygen. A VRLA cell normally recombines any hydrogen and oxygen produced inside the cell, but malfunction or overheating may cause gas to build up. If this happens (for example, on overcharging) the valve vents the gas and normalizes the pressure, producing a characteristic acid smell. Valves can sometimes fail however, if dirt and debris accumulate, allowing pressure to build up.

Accumulated hydrogen and oxygen sometimes ignites in an internal explosion. The force can burst the plastic casing or blow the top off the battery, spraying acid and casing fragments. An explosion in one cell may ignite the combustible gas mixture in remaining cells. In a poorly ventilated area, connecting or disconnecting a closed circuit (such as a load or an operating charger) directly to the battery terminals may cause an explosion as the sparks produced ignite the gas mixtures vented from the cells.

The cell walls of VRLA batteries typically swell when the internal pressure rises. The deformation varies from cell to cell, and is greater at the ends where the walls are unsupported by other cells. Such over-pressurized batteries should be carefully isolated and discarded. Personnel working near batteries at risk for explosion should protect their eyes and exposed skin from burns due to spraying acid and fire by wearing a face shield, overalls, and gloves. Usinggoggles instead of a face shield sacrifices safety by leaving one's face exposed to acid and heat from a potential explosion.

OP
OP
mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Thanks to everyone for your informative and helpful replys I have ordered 2 new batts from battery megastore same spec as before and will be using the wiring that was supplied by sargent in my autotrail van so we will see how that goes and may I take this opportunity to wish all the funsters a happy new year and may all your troubles be little ones . Safe travels to one and all x:-)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back