Habitation. A cautionary tale! (1 Viewer)

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We had our 3rd annual habitation check done at Marquis today. When returning to collect the van, the guy doing the check was sporting a large gash on his head. While testing the leisure battery it exploded. It was heard all over the site. The battery remains were a plastic case and a pile of parts. :whatthe: He said that he didn't get covered in acid as it was 'dry'. We thought these were maintenance free!

It took them a good while to clear up the resultant mess in the locker and of course it cost for a replacement.

The purpose of posting here is to let everyone know that habitation checks are much more than testing for damp. We dread to think what could have resulted if this had gone bang while we were in the van, and possibly asleep!:Eeek:

No criticism of Marquis here. They were brilliant even spraying it with air freshner and leaving the windows open to get rid of the fumes etc. Actually felt awful that the guy was hurt.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sorry to hear of his injury too
BUT batteries dont go bang on there own:Doh:
It takes someone making a mistake for that to happen im afraid.
There is a right and wrong way to disconect or check batteries he obviously did it the wrong way so dont feel to guilty, I hope replacment cost was to the dealer not you
Geo

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
he would have had 2 lumps on the head had he told me it was not his fault

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Speak to them very soon it did not blow itself up.

Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tentpeg

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Funster No
I am just wondering why people know it was because the engineer did something wrong? Could somebody explain for the non techie here.. thanks

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I am just wondering why people know it was because the engineer did something wrong? Could somebody explain for the non techie here.. thanks

Its hydrogen that explodes. Even non techies like me know that a battery produces some hydrogen when charged and quite a bit more if its over charged. A spark would be involved, who generated that spark without first ensuring that the battery area was completely ventilated? If it were mine I'd be asking them to replace the battery they blew up:Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
In simple terms always vent before working on any battery. even wafting a piece of card in a fanning motion will do. or allow time for natural venting by leaving bonnet or locker door open for 5 mins or so
When removing a battery always disconect the NEG first:thumb:
When re fitting always fit the NEG last:thumb:
This pratice will reduce conciderably the danger of causing a spark:thumb:
Any other procedure will INCREASE the likelyhood of a spark:RollEyes:
And as Jim rightly says Gas + Spark = BANG!!!!!!:Eeek:
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Dry battery and sufficient gas to go bang, two thoughts, is there any or sufficient ventint to the battery compartment in the first place and what's your charger up to, ie has it 'boiled' the battery overcharging it to cause the dry state and the gas for said bang?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And as Jim rightly says Gas + Spark = BANG!!!!!!:Eeek:
Geo

I learned that young, working in my uncle's garage. Charging a car and at the same time I started welding a wing nearby. Only a little bang and the first battery cap in Earth orbit but it was a valuable lesson.

I would be looking at the battery + terminal with a torch and magnifying glass looking for a pockmark where a tool touched chassis and battery.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back