Hab Door Stay

Discussion in 'Auto-Trail' started by Inthezone, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Inthezone

Inthezone Read Only Funster

Hi All
    I was at the Motorhome show at Romsey over the weekend and I spotted that the 2014 frontier range of models had a gas strut as replacement to the pathetic plastic door retainer fitted to my 2011 Comanche, my question is does anyone know if these struts can be retrofitted as its imposable to have the door open even in a light breeze, I must say that Auto trail really have cocked up this one.
    Even if it means that some of the internal trim will need replacing it will be worth it.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Sidney

Sidney Funster

I don't know your model but if its anything like Swift they have replaced the Hartal door on recent models. The old (2012) had a sliding aluminium stay and it is RUBBISH.

Sadly the door is a complete redesign so I can't just buy a replacement stay. I may get something made by an engineering shop to replace the plastic slider on the door.

3. MuddyPuddle

MuddyPuddle Funster

Frying pan and fire comes to mind - I've got the gas strut on my new Tracker.........doesn't work and just about to book it in to be replaced hopefully with as strut that does work :Smile:

Also Dometic have had some problems with hab door frames, including ours, due to a supplier changing spec without advising them - resulting in cracks appearing near hab door hinge areas - resolution unit into dealers for door frame replacement under warranty ( 5 hour job) :Sad:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  4. Sidney

Sidney Funster

oh gawd - sorry

5. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Just had my habitation door replaced along with frame because of the swivel pin for the strut, when we took delivery noticed pin was at a rather jaunty angle. Tried to tighten it but thread in door frame obviously cross threaded and stripped. Week later the pin just pulled out when door opened by OH. I araldited it in till we could get it back to dealers.

The gas strut (not sure if it is one?) is not very effective in holding door open in a breeze so it'll be the tried and tested bungee for me again.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Inthezone

Inthezone Read Only Funster

Hab Door

Unfortunately Auto Trail have been really remiss on the door they have simply overlooked that we have the door open especially if the awning is out, and there’s a real chance of it slamming shut in a slight breeze, luckily OH hasn’t been hit by it yet but a real danger especially whilst carrying the wine :Rofl1::Rofl1:
    seriously though for the cost of the vehicle a positive catch should have been fitted by the factory.

• Like Like x 1
  7. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

That's what I've been using for ages.

Don't get me started on AutoTrails.
    See Autotrail woes thread. :Angry:

8. Sunsets Unlimited.

Sunsets Unlimited. Funster

What your asking is a good question, as we too have faced this very situation. I didn't know about the gas strut and to me that sounds very interesting. We have a 2009 Cheyenne and the door catch was replaced twice since buying our bus from new. The last time it failed which was this year, I drilled the rivets out and have filled the holes with SikaFlex 512, and put a very nice orange side reflector over the area. I have matched the drivers side O/S with the same. If you get a positive with the gas strut would you let me know please.

Best Regards
    Mike.
    SunsetsUnlimited. :coolest:

9. Sunsets Unlimited.

Thimply The Best.!

10. Sunsets Unlimited.

Sorry folks, Should have read,,, Thimply The Betht.! as Chris Eubank would say it.! :wasntme:

11. Sunsets Unlimited.

Iv'e started, so I will finish.!

On our 2009 Cheyenne which I wouldn't swap for the World, I noticed some water in one of the rear bedroom side wardrobes, which was coming in at roof level. Upon investigation I found the cause of said leak to be, where the rear panel meets the roof, it has 3 retaining screws on either side O/S and N/S, which are there as a means to secure both sections whilst the bonding agent takes hold as the vehicle is being constructed.
    If you ever get a leak in this area, jump up the back and take a look. If the screws are loose, take them out, clean the junk from the screw holes and replace with larger screws. SikaFlex 512 them into place. It worked fine for us.

If you get water coming in from behind a window frame. Take off the interior trim, tiz quite easy and tighten all the securing screws around the frame. It worked for us.!
    Happy Camping.
    Mike
    SunsetsUnlimited. :coolest:

• Like Like x 1
  12. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Read Only Funster

on some 2008 swift they took the gas strut of the door as it was bending the door, so be carefull

13. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  14. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

Thanks for that -- just looked but for the moment they are out of stock so will keep looking -- WANTED ONE FROM WHEN WE SPOKE - (y)
    Sheila

• Like Like x 1
  15. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Pfft you have to think out of the box!!!
    We had that problem with our door!
    Bought a bungee cord and never looked back!!! ::bigsmile:

• Like Like x 1
  16. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

Tried that. When were down in Benidorm,huge gust of wind,door slammed and never ever found the bungee (n)

• Like Like x 1
  17. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

Same here -- have to have a small repair job done -- :(
    Sheila

18. SMB

SMB Funster

Thanks for that, my Dutch friend has the same fitted to his, they work a treat. I'm going to get them fitted when I get back, along with other bits and pieces even though I swore that I had everything I need fitted the last time....again :doh:

• Like Like x 1
  19. keith

keith Funster

You can get gas struts on ebay, Gas Struts I have used them on some occasions for doors and cupboards.

You can get different lengths and strengths and they are not as expensive as some retailers would have you believe.

20. sedge

sedge Funster

Ours opens flat against the side and clips into a catch on the side OEM by Pilote and it's usually enough, but not some days this last summer.

We used a piece of guy rope on ours, but then couldn't find much to tie the thing to that we considered solid enough for the strength of some of the wind. Too much plastic LOL

When it got too 'gusty' we just had to close it and stifle if we went inside. But we've hardly ever had as bad wind as that accompanied by such heat, so I'm not losing sleep.

• Like Like x 1