Hab-Door ..Do they all do that....

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Fletton, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Fletton

Fletton Funster

I have noticed that the Hab door has developed a slight bow in it...

That being it bows "outwards" where the lock is... viewed from outside...

This "bowing" becomes more prevalent when the door is in full sun ...

This means I have to really tug the door (from the inside) to get it to sneck on the "secondary" latch and give a very firm press when outside...

Is this "normal" for these type of composite doors or do I need to log a warranty claim?...

The door has no window fitted etc...

If you zoom in on attached pic you can see a bow of about 5mm from centre of door to top and bottom..

The door in pic is closed but not snecked tight so that the edge of door can be seen against side of Moho..
    IMG_2752.JPG

John T

2. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Can't help with your problem but I'm impressed with the shine on your bodywork (y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. reckless

reckless Funster

We have a similar 'warp' on our door, irritating but doesn't cause any problems.

I don't know if it's normal but as our van is 6 years old, warranty is n/a so we live with it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

Yep same as ours too, slight warp like yours, actually seen others where the hab door actually looked open lol

5. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

Mine is the same have to push hard to close it properly, but mine is 10 years old I think I would have a visit to the dealers if that was my van to register a fault and see if it is adjustable .

6. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Mine closes ok but I don't like the fact that when standing inside if I look down at the bottom of it there is light along the bottom edge from outside. In other words there must be a gap there and a draught.

7. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Same on our 8 year old burstner

If it's under warranty try claim what to loose

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Fletton

Fletton Funster

If I could see daylight... I think I'd be a tad concerned.. :eek: .. But the bow effect ensures a tight fit both top and bottom if nothing else .. (y)

9. Fletton

Fletton Funster

Can't see how it can be adjusted... I've looked.... It's hinged top, centre and bottom with only "vertical" adjustment on the hinges..

So any bow is primarily at the lock side of the door as opposed to hinged side.. I could however, adjust the locking mech.. If it was too difficult to close... But as I see it - leaving it prevents any further "bowing" presently :)

If anything ... It would mean a complete new outer door skin IMO... :unsure: But from what most say... It'll only happen again.. Sooner or later...

10. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Maybe............... but look at the state of that garage door...

Really let`s the place down..

I`m guessing it`s a council house on a run down estate, and the council cannot afford to paint them... :wink: :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Fletton

Fletton Funster

@old-mo :swear: :swear: :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto: :p

I'm presently parked on Sis's drive - had to return for a "mediation" session... (Total waste of 90mins of my life and left me £150 short to boot)

However, as we speak... Younger bro is (finally) manufacturing new steel framed doors for her... Hence their neglected state...

It's a love job ... So she's had to .... Be patient!!... Lol :)

I'll pass on your observations tho... ;) :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

its not ideal but the door bowing is a common fault on most motorhomes. There is a sort of fix, but you have to be careful. in your case roll up two towels and put them on the door frame on the lock side one towards the top, the other to the bottom. then shut the door on the towels and push hard in the middle by the lock. this will bend the door a little bit. try a little bit at a time till the bow is reduced. i have fixed many doors like this

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

On my van, the door is straight but the van side is slightly bowed in. When they fastened the fridge housing to the floor during construction and before they put the sides on, they screwed the unit down about 5 mm shy of the edge of the floor. When the side was installed, it has pulled in the 5 mm, mostly around the centre/lock area, gets a bit draughty now and again. Tried to find thicker sealing rubbers but never seen any the correct profile for slotting into the door surround. Will try the towel tip though, thanks.