hab door bolt (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I'd like to fit a habitation door bolt, partly for security , partly because the door seems to be a bit warped now and doesn't seal the best at the bottom and top. Nothing worse than a leaky bottom.
Is there a recommended type of bolt for moho doors? Is it an easy enough diy job or is it best to get it done by the professionals?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Assuming you mean while your in - try these Link Removed only a couple of self tappers to fit
terry

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
OR from ebay Link Removed
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
I would think either of the 2 suggestions would work well unless like us you have a fly screen attached to the door so nothing to fix it too

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
If you really want to fit an interior Hab' door bolt ......go and visit a yachting chandler who should have some very smart chrome finished bolts:Smile:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I would think either of the 2 suggestions would work well unless like us you have a fly screen attached to the door so nothing to fix it too

I am not so sure. They have to be fitted to the door, because it opens outwards, but what can you fit them to that is solid enough. Self tappers are OK into PVC door frames but not the flimsy stuff a motorhome door has on the inside I would have thought. If they put enough leverage on the door to defeat the existing built in lock(s) then I would have thought this would stand no chance. But I stand to be corrected if anybody has used them and found a strong fixing point on the door.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Gordon
Been thinking about this and just wonder how wise it is to fit bolts or whatever to the door, may make it difficult to get out in an emergency, think if door is starting to warp slightly maybe the hinges can be adjusted ?
Ron

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Gordon
Been thinking about this and just wonder how wise it is to fit bolts or whatever to the door, may make it difficult to get out in an emergency, think if door is starting to warp slightly maybe the hinges can be adjusted ?
Ron

I've looked at the hinges and they are ok. Also, how many locks do you have on your house doors? I would know when they were on but as long as they are simple you can still get out quick. Know where you are coming from and appreciate the comments to stimulate thought.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a warped door can be carefully twisted to make the loose corner touch the frame just ahead of the latch touching. then it will hold tight and be weather resistant. not for the faint of heart but easy enough to do, just apply a little pressure at a time

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Gordon
Ron

been here before.......

In a true emergency where you really have to get out (fire etc) which is going to give first.......a flimsy hab door or a size 10 boot.

My money is on the door giving up and a plastic window as an alternative exit doesnt stand a chance.
Damage is irrelevant as if you need out that desparately the chances are the vans a right off anyway..

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back