Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
was looking to change my hab batteries before setting off for a few months, thought it was just a case of Swopping like for like then I opened the battery compartment, ahhhhh
help needed on do's and don'ts as don't want to cock this up. Is it just a case of unplugging everything and what must I look out for.
Note the level in pic 2
Thanks in advance
@Techno

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
ignore all the secondary wiring and just take the leads off the batteries. do one at a time, as in replace the left one and reconnect the wires then do the right. far less chance of causing a short.
if you cant get the batteries out without unplugging the relays then take photos to double check it all goes back as it was previously

personally it would annoy me having a rats nest of wires and i would take the extra time to tidy them up. at least with a few cable ties

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Agree with TheBig 1 Take a picture if not sure. For safety reasons remove the negative connections on your batteries first and re-connect last. I see you have a shunt fitted so be aware you may have more than one connection on your battery terminals. Use a bit of coloured tape if you want to be assured your fished set up is identical to the existing set up. You will be fine. Don't forget about the negative connections first, this prevents sparks and fuses being blown.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Agree with above. I would add that it's important to disconnect your negative terminal connections first and re-connect last.

OP
OP
Busman

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Going thru the old paperwork for the van it looks like these batteries have been in since July 2010 would you change them, ( I think I should) or top them up. Am I also right in thinking that these would be the "Wet" type.
Ta

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi dave.. I'll add my two pence worth:D..
Before you star switch off your control panel.. ie kill the hab side of the electrics. .
If you can get to the main negative disconnect that first then the positive. .. disconnect as little as possible ie just the battery terminal connections... it may also pay to tape up the loose ends to insulate them while you are working... just in case there is a feed from the start and your still live..
If you have the time you could tidy up the wiring ...but if all works as is then unless you want to give yourself the extra work maybe best left..:LOL:
if your batteries are wet the caps will be removable... you could just top them up and replace... have you reason to believe they are done... ie not holding any charge when on load..??..
Can't think of much else...replace either existing or new batteries and then switch back on and charge/check everything works...
Good luck..(y)
Andy.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you have 2 batteries & are changing one at a time make sure after you disconnect the negative, That when you disconnect the positive it cannot earth out anywhere as it will still be live due to the second battery.
far better to disconnect both negatives off of each battery & then change them one at a time. & yes as previous take a few photos & with the flash on. If an odd wire comes loose then you should be able to sus where it came from.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
You say the batteries were fitted in 2010 according to the paper work but could they have been replaced since then and there is no paper work for them. Seven years seems a long time but as Andy asked have you a reason to doubt their performance, if not I would top the up and carry on until I had some concrete reason they were getting knackered.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back