H

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by TM59, Feb 7, 2012.

1. TM59

TM59 Funster

Home Central Heating

To the lucky people who can escape our winters for a couple of months in the sun, can I ask how you leave the central heating at home.

On/off. System drained or whatever?

Are there stipulations from Insurance Companies?

Anyone do it remotely?

Any advice welcome.

Trevor

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  2. buttons

buttons Funster

A lot of them have sold their homes to enable them to live in their motorhome, but I would prefer someone to live in the house if I were away, maybe a house sitter or at the very least have someone calling in on a regular basis. A lot can happen if you leave the house and I'm sure that the insurers would at least want to be made aware that the property was to be left empty for an extended period. I have seen adverts on here for house sitters.

3. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

I agree Buttons

I agree Buttons..

Me I have someone come in while I am in France... but it is a hard one to call. I want the curtains opened and shut and post picked up, bins put out and taken in... cannot just shut up shop so to speak.

But again a lot have sold up as Buttons has said.. using there motorhomes to live full time in... that in itself can cause a problem.

Bob

4. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

No problem for me...My daughter,son in law and grandson live with me. One big happy family...Or so they tell me when am away:Blush::Blush::Blush:

5. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I spent 4 months last winter in Scotland (It seemed such a good idea in the planning stage!!) I had the water tanks here drained, turned the water off & stuck a bit of extra lagging on outside pipes and switched off he electricity.
    Locked all the shutters (I have the old wooden ones) and a friend checked the house every week/10 days and emptied the mail box. All was fine when I got back, but then it was a mild winter here and in Scotland-worst for 40 years I was told by neighbours. :Doh:

Wasn't all bad though. Loved the beaches at Portobello and St Andrews.

6. sedge

sedge Funster

There's usually an unoccupancy clause in your household insurance for periods of unoccupancy - eg exceeding 30 days during the months of Oct-Mar inclusive all water pipes shall be drained and the supply turned off at the main, and you can only leave your CH on if it has a frost-stat setting. Plus they also want regular inspections made (at specified intervals) by a responsible party.

7. keith

keith Funster

Only ever seen one reference by an Insurance Co. to leaving heating on during extended stays & they wanted stat. set to min. 10 deg.

We are very lucky as we live in a park home and our owner inspects our home on a regular basis when we are away, turns the water off & back on again before we return.. I also set the stat. on 10 deg. and leave the heating on while we are away in winter, peace of mind.

Did have a problem with the pump one year and the owners got the heating engineer in and it was sorted before we got back.

This is one of the reasons we choose to live where we do.

8. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

We will leave our thermostat on 10, daughters pop in regularly to check everything. Household insurance is with Comfort with who you get 12odays away with no problem.

We always get daughters to stay over now and then just to make sure insurance stays OK.

9. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi, our next door neighbour does the post and looks in, and our daughter keeps an eye on it. We leave the heating to come On twice a day, all radiators have thermostats on low, :BigGrin: and she has just phoned to say, she has turned it up a bit while its really cold, and will turn it down again when it gets a bit warmer.:thumb: Bob.

10. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Sorry cannot advise I am afraid..

We have no central heating

The house is in constant use as my daughter stays there

Dunno about any house insurance cos we do not have any of that either.. Never have had. We put a bit away each month equivalent to an insurance premium instead.. Been doing that for 15 years now and it has started earning a nice bit of interest.. I anything terrible did happen the money is there, if not, a nice little nest egg building up towards retirement time