Hocky54

Free Member
Feb 6, 2011
Lowestoft Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel Dutchmen Denali
Exp
Just some information for those of us that run 2500 - 3500 pick-ups all models.

I had to contact VOSA today regarding the GVW of my Ford F250 SD, this all came about due to driving licence and the C1+E and removing the 107 attachment.

Any how I was informed that all US pick-ups rated above 3500kg are automatically derated to that figure (3500kg), when they are SVA'd, and should have had new data plates attached to the vehicle, or the existing data plates defaced and etched with 3500kg.

This has an impact on insurance in the event of an accident if you are max-ed out to your vehicles GVW in my case 3991kg.

Any legal beavers have any comments on this!:Doh:

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
GVW

Or like us we have a GMC 2500HD which the vehicle plate shows gvw 4611 kgs but the V5 shows 3500 kgs

My Licence has CE whic means I can drive articulated vehicles up to 40 tons.

I also have C1E licence but with restriction 107 which means that i have limited to 8250kgs unless i take a trailer test to lift the restriction to 12000kg

OK i may be thick but this does not make any sence! anyone expand :thumb: Ant

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
CE over-rules C1E...

you, personally, dont need C1E on your licence but it stays on anyway.

i think its only DVLA/VOSA that cant get their head round a pickup weighing more than 3500kg.

from what i understand, if you imported it then it should have had a SVA on import and can be plated at the factory weight.
if imported en-mass (main dealer) then it automatically gets a 3500kg plate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
CE over-rules C1E...

i think its only DVLA/VOSA that cant get their head round a pickup weighing more than 3500kg.

from what i understand, if you imported it then it should have had a SVA on import and can be plated at the factory weight.

Thanks Pappajohn

This understand but say that I wished to hand back my CE/DE why should I have to take another test so i can remove the 107 and allow me to drive 12000kgs? I have already bloody taken the CE/DE what more do I have to prove?

Ant:Smile:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Just some information for those of us that run 2500 - 3500 pick-ups all models.

I had to contact VOSA today regarding the GVW of my Ford F250 SD, this all came about due to driving licence and the C1+E and removing the 107 attachment.

Any how I was informed that all US pick-ups rated above 3500kg are automatically derated to that figure (3500kg), when they are SVA'd, and should have had new data plates attached to the vehicle, or the existing data plates defaced and etched with 3500kg.

This has an impact on insurance in the event of an accident if you are max-ed out to your vehicles GVW in my case 3991kg.

Any legal beavers have any comments on this!:Doh:

VOSA have for the last few years been pulling in yank pick ups that are towing and being used comercialy, and procecuting owners.

They have left private RV and ones tugging alone whether this will last who knows,

For what its worth I have towed with yank pick ups and full size SUV's since the early 70's and never been pulled in by Vosa.

There may well be insurance implications if you are over your plated gross train weight this is one of the reasons they take tow bars off when they are SVA'd.

Hope this helps a bit

All the best Rick.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Or like us we have a GMC 2500HD which the vehicle plate shows gvw 4611 kgs but the V5 shows 3500 kgs

My Licence has CE whic means I can drive articulated vehicles up to 40 tons.

I also have C1E licence but with restriction 107 which means that i have limited to 8250kgs unless i take a trailer test to lift the restriction to 12000kg

OK i may be thick but this does not make any sence! anyone expand :thumb: Ant

Hi Ant

There is no weight limit on your C+E you can legaly drive a 150ton Artic on STGO regs.

As John said your C+E overides your C1+E with 107 restriction, the reason is if on the 5th aniversary (after 45 years old) you decide not to have a medical and renew your C+E you will still retain your grandfather rights on your C1+E with 107 restriction until your 70th birthday, at which time you will need a medical to retain it.

Hope this answers your question

All the best Rick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hocky54

Hocky54

Free Member
Feb 6, 2011
Lowestoft Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel Dutchmen Denali
Exp
CE over-rules C1E...

Motor roaming,

What you have stated only comes into force next year and applies to 'NEW vehicles only' on import, not pre 2012 models, this is according to VOSA, yesterday.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back