Free Member
Nov 9, 2014
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca
Exp
None
Just been out to check on van and noticed distortion on bathroom wall?? On further investigation all the back wall of van seems spongy.
Really gutted to see this and now need advice as to what we need to do next?
I fitted the cover onto the MH last Wednesday so its covered. Also got a fan heater on the go inside.

We were planning on our first proper trip in the MH in February but at the minute just worried as to what to do next? I suspect this has been a problem from before we bought the van and further indication that we should have sought some better advice from people in the know. ie some one with a damp meter.

Any advice would be great

Cheers in advance
Rob

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Hi Rob. Have followed your thread and am pleased you are getting it sorted.. if you fancy a trip to Mablethorpe in april we will be there on 20th for a week. would be pleased to see you
Robert
:party:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Sounds like you are getting it all sorted, and doesn't sound like you are going to have to part with too much of your hard-earned.
Overall, a nice result (y)

Upvote 0

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Good to hear that it is getting sorted Rob.

Don't let this spoil your enjoyment of the MH. Look at it this way, now you KNOW that it is damp free.

Keith Hart

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rob

Free Member
Nov 9, 2014
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca
Exp
None
The guy repairing the Mh rang earlier with an update on the progress. He has found the main place where the water was coming in, and it wasn't where first thought. The high level brake light was so I'll fitted that he reckons there's a whole tube of sealer been used on it! He has taken pictures all through the repair and when I get it back I'll post a few on here.
Should be ready by Thursday so can't wait to get it back

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
We are a fair way away but if you want an honest opinion and a fair cost of a good repair, come down and have a chat to Glenn

Peter

OOPS posted this from seeing first post, did not realise it was being sorted!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
I agree don't be disheartened. Our 1st camper was a shed full of problems. Failed its MOT chassis rust etc etc. moved on and now have a 2013 van that we love. We use it every week and I enjoy driving it

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Glad you've got it sorted, not as bad as you thought , didn't think it would be,you can rest and enjoy the van now(y)

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2014
Kent
Funster No
MH
Autocruise
Exp
2 weeks! def Newbie......
phew.....glad to hear it Rob,,,, hope you enjoy your trip now.!:)

Upvote 0

Reptillian

Free Member
Feb 4, 2015
West Country
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
7yrs
Hi Rob had the same problem, I have a Ducato, but autotrail. the trim on the roof isn't great but like you didn't know what to really look for as this was our first. the previous owners had done a repair but only used normal kitchen/bathroom sealant which didn't help. have now had the bathroom redone and had the rotten timbers replaced, I have now put in a dehumidifier to be on the safe side, an ECO Tech DD122FW Classic, as all the write ups say good for boat and caravan, I have a benetech damp meter coming today bought from Amazon Ā£26 I will not be caught out again. I have had the roof re-sealed properly and hopefully will now suffer no more. it was heart breaking to see a hole appear in the roof. hope you get it sorted well worth paying the money to get it done professionally of your not up to doing it yourself. not cheap but worth it for the peace of mind. I have also invested in a cover for the winter months from riversway leisure.

Upvote 0

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
The van is a Carioca CI on a fiat Ducato base
Its 2004 reg
We have had the van for about3 months and have only had one night away in it.
It was a private purchase and i viewed it a couple of times and also took it for test drive. All seemed ok and there were no signs of leakage anywhere or smell of damp. There is a bathroom window which seems ok. Looking on the roof there does look as though there has been some sealer put on around the trim but does look ok .
Unfortunately judgemental we are not all as bright as you obviously are and i was not aware at the time of damp meters or professionals offering the service. Do me a favour and dont bother replying to the thread if you have nothing constructive to say! I feel bad enough as it is without reading smug comments when im asking for a bit of help.
Cheers everybody else for the advice so far
Rob
H Rob,
Condolences you must be feeling really gutted, I would. Just a word of warning when seeking a good professional dealer. We did the same (but not for the same reason) and quite frankly were ripped off by the Chasson dealer we used. Be quite certain you get a some good recommendations before parting with your money. You can easily part with Ā£200 for a Habitation Check and by the sounds of it that is what you need. But that is only the beginning. They then have to put the work in to cure any leaks etc.
We have only been MH'ing for three years and it is a steep and sometimes expensive learning curve but this Forum can save you Ā£'s and also lead you in the right direction.
State where you live and just ask Member's to recommend people they would be happy to use. If you are anywhere near the Toddington part of the M1, "Just Go" (speak to Matthew) have been very helpful when I have spoken to them, although I have NOT used their services as yet. I DO NOT recommend Elite Motorhomes, Banbury, or Elite Caravans, Bicester.
Good luck and keep your chin up!
Saltings

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
H Rob,
Condolences you must be feeling really gutted, I would. Just a word of warning when seeking a good professional dealer. We did the same (but not for the same reason) and quite frankly were ripped off by the Chasson dealer we used. Be quite certain you get a some good recommendations before parting with your money. You can easily part with Ā£200 for a Habitation Check and by the sounds of it that is what you need. But that is only the beginning. They then have to put the work in to cure any leaks etc.
We have only been MH'ing for three years and it is a steep and sometimes expensive learning curve but this Forum can save you Ā£'s and also lead you in the right direction.
State where you live and just ask Member's to recommend people they would be happy to use. If you are anywhere near the Toddington part of the M1, "Just Go" (speak to Matthew) have been very helpful when I have spoken to them, although I have NOT used their services as yet. I DO NOT recommend Elite Motorhomes, Banbury, or Elite Caravans, Bicester.
Good luck and keep your chin up!
Saltings
With this being such an old thread, I don't think the originator has been on the forum for a couple of years.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
It was a lovely helpful post though @Saltings !
Looks like you fell into the time-trap that catches us all out :D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back