Gutted!!! (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
3 days into our French adventure and now sitting in a hotel in Angers!!!
Have waited 3 years to sell our house and acquire a Motorhome and have broken down on the motorway with no gears.
It could take up to a week to repair, we were hoping to reach Parc Verger tomorrow☹️, have no idea how much to repair and took 4 and a half hours to arrive at Fiat garage and for breakdown insurance to admit we have cover.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
So sorry to hear this. Thank goodness you are insured . No driving so have a wine or two to drown your sorrows . Hope it gets sorted soon so you can carry on.(y)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hope it can be fixed quickly and you'll soon be on your way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Really sorry to hear this ...please remember though that life is about challenges and this is just another.. you will get it sorted.

Don't know where you are but hope there are some positives for you in scenery or meeting nice people. Keep us informed.

Sending a hug.

OP
OP
S
Aug 18, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you Anthea,
Have now had a couple and feel a bit better, although I think it's going to be very expensive to repair, will know at midday tomorrow.
Just took ages to sort as it was a new policy they had not updated our particulars, so thought we were not insured, lots of phone calls to UK to sort out!

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Bummer!!
But nobody's hurt, it's just a delay, the costs are (mostly?) covered, so just chill, let things take their course and explore Angers. Even hire a car and explore further afield.
In other words, turn a setback into an opportunity. (Damn, I knew I'd been on too many courses :rolleyes:)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
@Scrumpy If anything needs to be said/explained in French let me know.
I send you my mobile number in a PM
Note that phone is on silence while babies have their afternoon nap (from 1.30 to 4.30 FRENCH TIME), so I might not react straight away , I don't check every 2 minutes.

Hope you'll soon get sorted! Parc Verger will wait for you no problem..... But I understand you feel frustrated and lonely!

Amicalement

Frankie:)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
@Scrumpy If anything needs to be said/explained in French let me know.
I send you my mobile number in a PM
Note that phone is on silence while babies have their afternoon nap (from 1.30 to 4.30 FRENCH TIME), so I might not react straight away , I don't check every 2 minutes.

Hope you'll soon get sorted! Parc Verger will wait for you no problem..... But I understand you feel frustrated and lonely!

Amicalement

Frankie:)
You are such a lovely lady when we need help! Thank you x

OP
OP
S
Aug 18, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you all for kind and practical advise.
No one is hurt and that is a definite positive.
Thank you yodeli, make take you up on that That has been a bit of a problem but with lots of smiling and head shaking and nodding we have got by just!!
Hoping it's not a new gearbox as we are just out of warranty☹️

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Truly sorry to hear that but as you said yourself the start of your "adventure" there will be great times ahead and already you have a tale to tell, it can only get better.
Enjoy it all, take care.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Shedloads of things to go and see in Angers though - not a bad place to be 'stuck' in at all ! Even budget hotels have tourist info on offer, many of them in several languages - and there was me assuming 'all that stuff' would only be in French, the first time we holidayed in France together in 1999.

Because we meander so much unplanned in France, I never know what little secrets places might have - so I have to find out!

OP
OP
S
Aug 18, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Update
Had a call from fiat dealers yesterday to say van fixed, very happy as only 150 euros. They took us to van started it up and fault still there, no gears, 4 hours later fault found in pressure to automatic gearbox. 3,000 euros to fix!!!!!!!!!!
Initially could not have van back until a week today
Rac put pressure on to resolve by Friday,
Have a hire car and now in saumur. Lovely place but every other vehicle we see is a motor home!!!
Just hope that it is ready on Friday and the credit card works.

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
We had similar position in January. 1st day in France broke down . Waited a week to get her back then broke down again after 15miles. Horrible experience . Did eventually get back on road and had fantastic trip. Not good when it hits your pocket so hard . Hope all gets fixed soon and you enjoy your trip. As said no one hurt so that is main thing .Try and enjoy your enforced hold up

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ouch..Thats a lot of money for repair. I would be gutted if I had to pay that amount but hopefully you will go on and have a fantastic time. You deserve it.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
So sorry to hear of your problem.
Hope it's soon fixed to your satisfaction and you can start really enjoying your trip.
You will soon put this setback behind you and it will all be worth it in the end.Hope you are soon on your way with the knowledge we are all behind you.Good luck.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Thank you all for kind and practical advise.
No one is hurt and that is a definite positive.
Thank you yodeli, make take you up on that That has been a bit of a problem but with lots of smiling and head shaking and nodding we have got by just!!
Hoping it's not a new gearbox as we are just out of warranty☹️

Write to Fiat Customer Care and see what they have to say. Send them a copy of the repair bill. When we had a problem they were very good.

OP
OP
S
Aug 18, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you all again
Was very upset yesterday but have know put it in perspective!
Puddleduck
Rac have told us to do that as if we had been French registered they would have carried out the repairs free of charge. It is a very rare fault to have

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Thank you all again
Was very upset yesterday but have know put it in perspective!
Puddleduck
Rac have told us to do that as if we had been French registered they would have carried out the repairs free of charge. It is a very rare fault to have
Good luck Scrumpy hope you get a result. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back