Gutted... (i've Been A Wally) (1 Viewer)

Jkarchibald

Free Member
Sep 24, 2012
Diss, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Amundsen 540D
Exp
First outing in our brand new campervan (Westfalia 540 pvc) - everything working like a dream. Then my stupidity strikes.

Despite reading lots of awning horror stories on this forum, I chose to leave the awning out overnight, partly because we were in a well sheltered spot and the weather was as calm as you can imagine. That night, cue the world's worst storm above my van - at least that is how it seems - and one broken awning pole. I presume I can replace the pole (Thule Omnistar).

The challenge is to get it fixed in less than 2 1/2 weeks as we are off to France.

What a wally - didn't even last a single night... Lots of sympathy required. No need to tell me I'm a wally - that I already know.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Dear Walter

Ditto, but a daytime mini-tornado the first week of a 3 month (baking hot) trip to France, and a Fiamma - so don't feel particularly stupid - shit happens !

We just got a new one - via a quick phone call to John's Cross when we got back, it stood in it's packing tube in a corner of our hall for the next few months during the bad winter weather, then one fine day we did it. It took a couple of hours, and I could have done with being a foot taller and had stronger arms, luckily Pete is a) competent at such things and b) strong.

But it isn't actually all that difficult to do - usually.

So study the bit that's broken and then the pics of the spares available online, work out and get whatever bits you need. Then recruit a helper (taller than 5ft 3 and not an 8 stone weakling) - and you're away. You will need something stable to stand on, high enough to get you comfortably under the very corner of the awning rail - helper's job is to support the weight of that end of the awning because without a 'rafter' it won't have a leg to stand on - until you attach the new one to the awning rail ! - and they have to be able to hold it HIGH. And be patient LOL

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Dare I ask if you had it strapped and well pegged down or just out, I know it seems amazing but on two fun rallies I have said to newbies you have your awning out but no pegs in it, to stand any chance they need straps and good pegs.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Lots of sympathy. It's surprising how often it happens.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
At least you didn't do what this Italian MH owner did at the campsite in Sorrento.

VIETATO L'ACCESSO means NO ENTRY and the tree trunks aren't vertical, enough said, but of course everybody knows that in Italy road warning signs are only advisory.

Broken Link Removed

Now he was a Wally. Or Wallito, or Walliano, or whatever the Italian for Wally is.

[Edited footnote: Ubaldo, as in Ubaldo dove sei? the popular children's book series.]

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We've all done something daft so don't worry, chalk it up to experience. We'd only had our first MH a few weeks when Alan reversed it into a low timber post - £520 for repairs but that's life :D

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
ah well now you know what we all felt when we made our mistake. but you will never do it again. but if you do . then we will call you a wally.

OP
OP
Jkarchibald

Jkarchibald

Free Member
Sep 24, 2012
Diss, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Amundsen 540D
Exp
Thanks everyone for the sympathy and for the "stuff happens" comments. Now on route home to inspect the damage. For the record I had two pegs in both awning feet, but no straps. The pegs probably saved me from damaging the van.

I can't bring myself to admit to you all that I might just possibly have had (unused) straps in the back of the van. If that were true I would really be a total wally... :whistle:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
By all means buy anchor straps, I use mine and peg the legs .. but no matter how well it is anchored.. if that wind gets up, something has to give... either the awning rail or legs will get bent or the material will tear.. far safer to always roll in at night and when you leave the van unattended.. and if a storm is approaching.. get it in fast..

OP
OP
Jkarchibald

Jkarchibald

Free Member
Sep 24, 2012
Diss, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Amundsen 540D
Exp
Okay now home & inspection completed. The verdict is good news - just one part of one leg has been damaged. That should be fairly easy to order and replace. I was very lucky...

Note to self - never leave the awning (tied down or otherwise) unattended, especially when a major lightening storm is taking place.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We always use a Fiamma end stopper, well pinned down and with the legs pinned down too, and often use side breaks too. We have never had a problem, in spite of some very strong winds such as the French mistrale, etc, but if we are aware that things will get worse, take the awning down. It does make me wonder if we've just been lucky. We carry the straps, but have never felt the need to use them, besides you can't use them with the end stopper which uses the same channel. The straps that go over the top, which we also carry, make me worry that they'd do more harm than good, in that they are putting pressure on the down legs, and that if these collapse, would have nothing to hold on. If you see what I mean.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We very, very seldom leave our awning out overnight.
We've lost one Fiamma awning, straight out of the ground, up & over the van. We weren't there, out visiting, but everyone on the field tied it down and secured it til we got back.
It was a very calm sunny day. One little whirl-type-wind came through, lifted Caravan awning pegs and our Fiamma! We learnt the hard way too!

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
The more I read these kind of threads, the more I value the worth of even having a wind-out awning. And yet everyone (including me!) seems to have one.

For me the main benefit was having somewhere to sit outside if it was raining, but to be honest I'm not sure I can bothered with winding it in and out and using straps every day! We left it up for a week recently, but that was with a safari room so it was well anchored down.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Sorry, rose awnings in Poole.
That's the correct one.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
On the day I bought my brand new motorhome back to put it on the drive I reversed it into a pile of bricks. I had stacked them so no excuses.

But we have all done something like this at one time or another. :D

Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
to be fair, we did the same the other night. it was only by luck that the weather was good and nothing happened, if weather had turned it could have been a nightmare. It didn't even occur to me to wind it back in!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back