Gutted... (i've Been A Wally)

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jkarchibald, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Jkarchibald

Jkarchibald Funster

First outing in our brand new campervan (Westfalia 540 pvc) - everything working like a dream. Then my stupidity strikes.

Despite reading lots of awning horror stories on this forum, I chose to leave the awning out overnight, partly because we were in a well sheltered spot and the weather was as calm as you can imagine. That night, cue the world's worst storm above my van - at least that is how it seems - and one broken awning pole. I presume I can replace the pole (Thule Omnistar).

The challenge is to get it fixed in less than 2 1/2 weeks as we are off to France.

What a wally - didn't even last a single night... Lots of sympathy required. No need to tell me I'm a wally - that I already know.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Dare somebody call him a wally ? ;)

• Like Like x 4
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

we all learn by our mistakes.. at the the school of hard knocks .

• Like Like x 2
  4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Sounds like you were lucky only to break a pole. They can do serious damage to the roof of the vehicle if the whole awning is ripped off.

• Like Like x 2
  5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Hi wally.
    Might as get one in sooner rather than later, we all do it sometime.
    Look at proper awning straps.

• Like Like x 3
  6. sedge

sedge Funster

Dear Walter

Ditto, but a daytime mini-tornado the first week of a 3 month (baking hot) trip to France, and a Fiamma - so don't feel particularly stupid - shit happens !

We just got a new one - via a quick phone call to John's Cross when we got back, it stood in it's packing tube in a corner of our hall for the next few months during the bad winter weather, then one fine day we did it. It took a couple of hours, and I could have done with being a foot taller and had stronger arms, luckily Pete is a) competent at such things and b) strong.

But it isn't actually all that difficult to do - usually.

So study the bit that's broken and then the pics of the spares available online, work out and get whatever bits you need. Then recruit a helper (taller than 5ft 3 and not an 8 stone weakling) - and you're away. You will need something stable to stand on, high enough to get you comfortably under the very corner of the awning rail - helper's job is to support the weight of that end of the awning because without a 'rafter' it won't have a leg to stand on - until you attach the new one to the awning rail ! - and they have to be able to hold it HIGH. And be patient LOL

• Like Like x 1
  7. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Dare I ask if you had it strapped and well pegged down or just out, I know it seems amazing but on two fun rallies I have said to newbies you have your awning out but no pegs in it, to stand any chance they need straps and good pegs.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Try Roses Awnings in Poole.
    They deal with omnistore/thule

• Like Like x 1
  9. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Lots of sympathy. It's surprising how often it happens.

10. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

11. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

At least you didn't do what this Italian MH owner did at the campsite in Sorrento.

VIETATO L'ACCESSO means NO ENTRY and the tree trunks aren't vertical, enough said, but of course everybody knows that in Italy road warning signs are only advisory.

[​IMG]

Now he was a Wally. Or Wallito, or Walliano, or whatever the Italian for Wally is.

[Edited footnote: Ubaldo, as in Ubaldo dove sei? the popular children's book series.]

• Like Like x 1
  12. scousebird

scousebird Funster

We've all done something daft so don't worry, chalk it up to experience. We'd only had our first MH a few weeks when Alan reversed it into a low timber post - £520 for repairs but that's life :D

13. TUCANO

TUCANO Funster

Everyone has their first scrape first :whistle:
    Welcome to the club (y)

14. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

It's only money and part of the learning curve believe me!

15. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

ah well now you know what we all felt when we made our mistake. but you will never do it again. but if you do . then we will call you a wally.

16. Jkarchibald

Jkarchibald Funster

Thanks everyone for the sympathy and for the "stuff happens" comments. Now on route home to inspect the damage. For the record I had two pegs in both awning feet, but no straps. The pegs probably saved me from damaging the van.

I can't bring myself to admit to you all that I might just possibly have had (unused) straps in the back of the van. If that were true I would really be a total wally... :whistle:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Knowledge and experience are what you have just after you needed them.........

• Like Like x 2
  18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

By all means buy anchor straps, I use mine and peg the legs .. but no matter how well it is anchored.. if that wind gets up, something has to give... either the awning rail or legs will get bent or the material will tear.. far safer to always roll in at night and when you leave the van unattended.. and if a storm is approaching.. get it in fast..

• Like Like x 2
  19. Jkarchibald

Jkarchibald Funster

Okay now home & inspection completed. The verdict is good news - just one part of one leg has been damaged. That should be fairly easy to order and replace. I was very lucky...

Note to self - never leave the awning (tied down or otherwise) unattended, especially when a major lightening storm is taking place.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I do that with the wife. Unfortunately, the worst that has happened so far was that she was ravaged by a passing badger. She soon recovered, but the doctor says that curing the TB could take much longer. :(

• Like Like x 4