Gutted, advice please

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Hymie, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Hymie

Hymie Funster

Hi all, for the 2nd year running our 7 month tour has to be abandoned and we now only have 15 days to tour, is it worth heading for Spain or Portugal or should we stick to France/Belgium/Holland?

Last year it was my health, this year the Boss Lady gave 2 months notice, ferry booked for 28 April, only to be told they have lost their contract and as they have appreciated her work ethic, demeanour, etc, they have set up a healthy redundancy package for her, but this will only happen if she is there at contract end, late August.

Having retired last October myself, and spending a small fortune on getting the van up to scratch, we are both desperate to get away, but as I don't like to drive more than 3 to 4 hours a day, am the only driver and don't like boring motorway journeys, is it worth the effort?

We will be heading back over as soon as the redundancy takes effect until late November, but advice from more experienced travellers would be appreciated.

Hymie.

2. Baycott

Baycott Funster

At 3-4 hours a day it will take you 4 days or more to get down to Spain so that's at least 8 days out of your 15. Really depends what kind of break you want. If it is sun then I don't think you have much option but to spend a week in Spain. On thother hand, if it a touring break you are after and don't mind the cooler weather I would stick to France.
    I hope you enjoy whatever you decide to do (y)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. Rapido925M

Rapido925M Funster

We had a good 25 days touring Netherlands and Northern Germany in Oct/Nov. Lots of good places to stop as listed by CamperContact, many free or very cheap. We did fork out €15 for a couple of marinas (Almere Haven [twice, we liked it so much!], Lauwersoog), which had copious hot water for showers and tremendous views over water. Little cities (Gouda, Harlingen, some others I can't remember) had free tourist info which offered interesting walks.

In Germany we liked Lingen, Buckeberg, Nienburg (best!).

In total, just over 1000 miles including getting to Harwich for the ferry (booked thro' CCC - better price and a flexi upgrade than website).

Spain seems a non-starter given your driving desires (but it will be warmer) - Gordon

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I guess a lot depends on when you are thinking of going, we have just gone round France in 14 nights, but driving every day, vowed never again

I don't think unless you use motorways and pay you wont get many days if any if you want to get far down Spain, we have been three times to friends near Granada, sounds like we drive more or less like you want to and it takes us 5/6 nights to get there, you would hardly have arrived and need to set off back

If you are going May / June time of later, plenty warm enough in France for us, if it is sun you are after

Wherever or whenever you do go, enjoy the drive and think of September, it will soon be here :)(y)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

As long as you gave your health why worry! Life throws these things at you from time to time....cheer up and count you bleesings:)

• Like Like x 7
  6. busby

busby Funster

Go Portsmouth Santander if you can't drive many hours,,24 hour crossing and your in Spain..BUSBY.:D:D

• Like Like x 3
  7. Mel

Mel Funster

Re book ferry for later.
    Tour the UK for 15 days.
    Then after your good lady stops go for as long as you want.
    And as far as you want.

Mel

• Like Like x 3
  8. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I too hate long boring drives so I simply take plenty of breaks: drive 2h, cuppa 30min, drive 2h, lunch / doze 1h, drive 2h, stop nearest Aire. Start again tomorrow. I use Aires under these circumstances so I don't waste time finding a site off-route & travelling back to my chosen route in the morning. I also find I can go to bed earlier than normal which means I wake earlier = early start = more cuppa breaks. Assuming 60mph average (when driving) you'll be in Spain on day 3 (from Calais). Alternatively use Santander ferry & you're there when it docks.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Hi Hymie, that's some really good advice from Mel, Spain and Portugal will still be waiting for you to explore them when your wife finishes work. Bide your time, plan you trip and enjoy it at your leisure when the time comes.
    Brisey.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

If you really want a break abroad I'd stick to France/Holland/Belgium for just 15 days - April/May can be good so have a shuftie at the long range weather forecast just before you leave and decide which way to go.

I'd certainly forget about going too far down though, we've done France in 2 weeks going down to the bottom and back up, and believe me it's not fun as you just end up driving most of the time rather than having a holiday.

As your wife's employer wants her to stay on until the end of August could she 'negotiate' an extra week so you can at least have 3 weeks?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hymie

Hymie Funster

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated.

Decided to go with the 3 weeks in France.

Outbound was booked for 29 April, changed that to 23 April and got a 2 euro refund, had a return journey booked for 18 August as we were popping back for a week to take the grandkids on holiday as we do every year, so changed that for a return on 14 May for 17 euro more, will change the return in August for our departure date when known and keep the November return a is.

We will have a wander down the coast, make our way inland making our way to the Kuekenhof for the flower show via Luxembourg, and on to Breskens for some R&R at the Roompot site at Zeeland, nice indoor wave pool there, and maybe a quick stop at Ypres for the last post ceremony, bit of wilding by the canal or in the car park at Lidl if we can't get in to Jeugstadion

Thanks again.

Hymie

• Like Like x 2
  12. ceejayt

ceejayt Funster Life Member

Have you thought about storing the Motorhome in France or Spain and flying back. We have successfully done this when short on time and like you don't like to drive long boring motorway journeys simply to get home.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I know people do this but anyone thinking of doing so should check the situation out with their insurer as many will NOT cover the vehicle if you are not with it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ceejayt

ceejayt Funster Life Member

Good point re the insurance which I forgot to mention.

15. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

If it was me with only 15 days I would stay in UK, save the ferry/tunnel money and wait until 'boss lady' has retired and plan a long tour, again, for next year!

• Like Like x 1