Guardamar - what's it like as a base for winter apartment rental?

Discussion in 'Spain' started by GeriatricWanderer, Nov 1, 2015.

1. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    For many years we've overwintered in South Africa but now looking for a destination a bit closer to home. We do appreciate that a Spanish winter is not the same as a South African summer and are happy to adapt to cooler climes.
    With our local airport just 10 minutes away from home here, an obvious destination airport would be Alicante and nearby Guardamar has been recommended as "not a bad place to overwinter".
    We're planning to rent an apartment/villa down that way for a week or so in February or March (with a rental car) to check out the area to see if we could spend a two or three months there in future years.

I don't know that part of the coast too well so I'm looking for any comments/suggestions/recommendations for that part of the country. Thanks

• Like Like x 2
  2. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

I do not now Guardamar but Javea and Moraira are good destinations. However, winters are not hot. You might consider places further South in Spain for better weather. Exceptionally good rates can be negotiated for car hire in winter for minimum one month hire.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Leftlegger

Leftlegger Funster

currently at Marjal ca 20151028_142224.jpg 20151028_142211.jpg 20151028_135851.jpg mpsite next door to Guardamar.We like it there,a nice lively town with a good sandy beach and a large market on wednesdays.The usual cafe/restaurants along the seafront.Got a front wheel slow puncture on the push bike and the local small garage pumped it up and refused to take anything,very friendly place :)(y)(y)

• Like Like x 3
  4. jim999bob

jim999bob Read Only Funster

Hi. We have a motorhome and a house near Torreveija. We quite like guardamar, laid back, nice beach and park. Could rent u my house if you want, as long as it isnt uk half term as we will be using it. Regards jim

• Like Like x 2
  5. GeriatricWanderer

Thanks guys.

I've just booked an apartment in Torre La Mata for a week in March.
    Seems to be suitably placed for checking out other resorts along that stretch of coast.

6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Good luck, it (the general area around there) was the most down market bit we saw on our trip to Spain this year. Lots of signs written in English, high rise buildings in places. But clearly popular with many folk so very much up to you.

I would suggest Àguilas which is a little further south. If for no other reason than they have one of the wildest fiestas in Spain in February.

A beach near Àguilas.

LrMobile2810-2015-0803359131386996.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

Guardamar is quite a nice small resort
    with a reasonable selection of bars and
    a few good restaurants there is a goodish antique
    market locally and a good outdoor/sunday market.
    ReMax used to be a good estate agent locally but that was a few years ago. good luck
    an apartment 1-2 bedroom should be rentable long term for about 400 Eu/Mnth

Euro@1.40=£1.00

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  8. GeriatricWanderer

Thanks - we may well take a drive down there but we need to stay closer to Alicante airport for this quick trip.

• Like Like x 1