Grumbles at Mumbles.. Motorhome overnight parking.. locals unhappy.. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A MUMBLES car park has become a favourite with motorhome owners, but their overnight stays are ruffling some feathers.

Knab Rock car park is a stone's throw from the sea and Verdi's cafe and a short walk from Mumbles's shops and restaurants, but no camping there is allowed.

The Post has received complaints that motorhome owners are regularly parking there overnight as well as during the day, reducing the availability of spaces for other visitors.

20160529_210451.jpg

Motorhome parked at 9pm on Sunday at Knab Rock car park

We took pictures of several motorhomes parked there at 9pm last night and again at 7.45am this morning.

One readers comment..
Here we go again local people should just bend over and take it from the tourists in return for the few measly pounds they may spend. It's the same all over Wales. If these selfish freeloaders can afford a motor home and the vast amounts diesel they burn then they can afford to camp at a proper designated site. Where do they dump the contents of their waste tanks I wonder?

Read more: http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Motorhomes/story-29337051-detail/story.html#ixzz4ADSik6zm

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Here We Go again
Its about time these plonkers realised that by the time we've forked out for these Motor Homes and Diesel we cant afford site fees:doh:
Rearrange these words into a well known phrase or saying
Jealous,eye monster, green again old same :clap2:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I think that this is the car park where I'm supposed to stay when doing race officer duties for the Osprey dinghy nationals. I was given the impression that we would have official permission. Need to check on this....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@autoswan who I believe is a local posted about this yesterday.

He said overnighting has been tolerated there for years but now, as usual, it appears that a few are taking the piss and are likely to ruin it for everyone.

The first picture in the article is an example. If you want to have half your kit spread around on the floor outside your van use a campsite.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I wasn't having a pop (y)
no problem.. I normally check before posting .. one of my pet hates are double posts ..

my opinion is that rightly or wrongly, when you upset locals and it hits the news it's only a matter of time until the local council act.. either by banning overnight parking or a complete ban on motorhomes.. and then a height barrier goes up.

freeloaders get us all a bad name..

'free camping' is not about using car parks as camp sites..

Oct 3, 2014
Llanelli, Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido 891F A Class
Exp
Since 2014
The van in the first picture of the article has been there for weeks I'm sure he is full timing there when I spoke to him a few weeks ago he was complaining that someone had reversed in to the back and driven off he was repairing the rear there with filler and fiber glass.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Maybe one of the issues is that the number of really big motorhomes is increasing rapidly and maybe tolerated parking was not intended for such large vehicles. Just saying (y)

Locals may have no objection to smaller MHs but a bunch of coach-sized MHs is another thing.

We ourselves have been in a coastal resort CP in our car where a MH had taken up 4 spaces because their table and chairs were also out. As said many times, this type of behaviour really doesn't help.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Here We Go again
Its about time these plonkers realised that by the time we've forked out for these Motor Homes and Diesel we cant afford site fees:doh:
Rearrange these words into a well known phrase or saying
Jealous,eye monster, green again old same :clap2:
Don't agree Geo. If you cant afford to run it and that includes parking and camping don't buy it .....nothing to do with jealousy,the guy is making a statement that many others in Wales are thinking....Roy

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Maybe one of the issues is that the number of really big motorhomes is increasing rapidly and maybe tolerated parking was not intended for such large vehicles. Just saying (y)

Locals may have no objection to smaller MHs but a bunch of coach-sized MHs is another thing.

We ourselves have been in a coastal resort CP in our car where a MH had taken up 4 spaces because their table and chairs were also out. As said many times, this type of behaviour really doesn't help.
As the newspaper link in says, "Motorhome owners have every right to park at Knab Rock car park during the day, as long as they pay the charge and don't take up more than one space, but a sign on the Swansea Council-owned spot said it is an offence to use it for camping."

We have to remember that most car parks are simply not designed for large vehicles - and taking up 4 spaces, especially with tables and chairs, is just taking the mickey, no wonder people complain.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Agree 100% with that. If you do find a car park that you can use don't over stay, don't take up any more spaces than absolutely necessary, stick to the "4 wheel" rule i.e. nothing else touching the floor and when you go make sure that nobody would know you've been there.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Don't agree Geo. If you cant afford to run it and that includes parking and camping don't buy it .....nothing to do with jealousy,the guy is making a statement that many others in Wales are thinking....Roy
I thought that the post was a little tongue in cheek, to be honest

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Maybe he has nowhere else to live ?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
no problem.. I normally check before posting .. one of my pet hates are double posts ..

my opinion is that rightly or wrongly, when you upset locals and it hits the news it's only a matter of time until the local council act.. either by banning overnight parking or a complete ban on motorhomes.. and then a height barrier goes up.

I was in Aldeburgh at the weekend Jim, the entire sea wall is being re-built. The word on the street is that continued abuse by huge gin palaces like the one pictured earlier have damaged the sea wall foundations and cost the local tax payer dear. The whole area has been fenced off for some weeks and a complete motorhome ban could be on the cards.:)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The word on the street is that continued abuse by huge gin palaces like the one pictured earlier have damaged the sea wall foundations and cost the local tax payer dear.

ha ha .. an unlikely story ..more like an excuse to have further motorhome restrictions.. :(

don't suppose it could be anything to do with sea erosion.. and the pounding by the waves from the N Sea ? :rolleyes:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
ha ha .. an unlikely story ..more like an excuse to have further motorhome restrictions.. :(

don't suppose it could be anything to do with sea erosion.. and the pounding by the waves from the N Sea ? :rolleyes:
No Jim they are convinced that it is the weight of the over sized 6 wheeled gin palaces that have caused the damage...;)
We were staying at Sizewell but Aldeburgh was heaving with Audi driving couscous eaters. Very small bunches of asparagus at £5.50 a through were selling like hot cakes. I guess someone has to pay for the sea wall damage.:)

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I was in Aldeburgh at the weekend Jim, the entire sea wall is being re-built. The word on the street is that continued abuse by huge gin palaces like the one pictured earlier have damaged the sea wall foundations and cost the local tax payer dear. The whole area has been fenced off for some weeks and a complete motorhome ban could be on the cards.:)

If you recall, Jim, the restrictions imposed on motorhomes on Aldeburgh sea wall several years ago (see this story for instance, the first story I found other than forum posts using Google to search for <Aldeburgh sea wall motorhomes>) resulted from erosion being exacerbated by large vehicles in addition to wave action. You may also recall the various posts I made of discussions with the then parking manager and her help over making daytime motorhome parking available.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If you recall,

I recall very well Graham.. and was never convinced that sea wall was being damaged by motorhomes .. if it was, then they should have banned all vehicles.. or vehicles over a certain weight.. not an outright ban on camper vans, big or small,.. but still allow heavy 4x4 s to use it

Does a VW camper do any more damage than a family saloon car ? Of course not.. but they are banned.. 4x4s are not.

Likewise the car park on the north shore, they have made the entrance and exit very tight for a motorhome.. .. I expect a height barrier will be next .

I'm against freeloading as much as you..and abusing or using car parks as camping grounds.. .. but the sea wall is huge.. it's about a mile long and as wide as a two lane highway.. the few vans including myself who used to park overnight at the weekend were doing no harm, nor depriving the town of car parking spaces..

I have related my story before.. we had a window broken during the night by thugs when we stopped overnight.. just plain thuggery.. and although I have no proof suspect it was more than just vandalism.. it was intentional action to scare people away.. and it worked.. so I won't support Aldeburgh or use the campsite .. bollox to them..

yes.. I am bitter .. but I think with just cause.. Jan has never recovered from that experience..

just notice this new sign on the sea wall.. erected by the yacht club.. .. this can't be legal .. can it ?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.1...9Z-HWb-o9dEUzD23p_bA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Don't agree Geo.
Next time you are offered a place on "The Understanding Northern Humour" course I suggest you take it. You need the advanced course to fully understand Geo but you have to start somewhere.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Next time you are offered a place on "The Understanding Northern Humour" course I suggest you take it. You need the advanced course to fully understand Geo but you have to start somewhere.
Being a Geordie from west cornforth .i fully understand northern humour ,thankyou and need no lessons from anyone else.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I recall very well Graham.. and was never convinced that sea wall was being damaged by motorhomes .. if it was, then they should have banned all vehicles.. or vehicles over a certain weight.. not an outright ban on camper vans, big or small,.. but still allow heavy 4x4 s to use it

Does a VW camper do any more damage than a family saloon car ? Of course not.. but they are banned.. 4x4s are not.

Likewise the car park on the north shore, they have made the entrance and exit very tight for a motorhome.. .. I expect a height barrier will be next .

I'm against freeloading as much as you..and abusing or using car parks as camping grounds.. .. but the sea wall is huge.. it's about a mile long and as wide as a two lane highway.. the few vans including myself who used to park overnight at the weekend were doing no harm, nor depriving the town of car parking spaces..

I have related my story before.. we had a window broken during the night by thugs when we stopped overnight.. just plain thuggery.. and although I have no proof suspect it was more than just vandalism.. it was intentional action to scare people away.. and it worked.. so I won't support Aldeburgh or use the campsite .. bollox to them..

yes.. I am bitter .. but I think with just cause.. Jan has never recovered from that experience..

just notice this new sign on the sea wall.. erected by the yacht club.. .. this can't be legal .. can it ?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.1...9Z-HWb-o9dEUzD23p_bA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
In my teens we used to climb all over that Martello tower, entry was via a very dodgy broken wooden bridge over the moat. It had another floor or two then and was derelict but a great place to take the local ladies for a bit of sight seeing.;) I have no recollection of the sea wall then but it must have been there in one form or another.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

The problem is the council & governments.Lack of funding to install complete sea defences over the last 50 years.
No on else's There shouldn't even be a discussion about it.
As Jim says a ban on ALL heavy vehicles , yes; but to highlight motorhomes when as said many 4x4's weigh more as do many mpv's. My own mpv can weigh in at far more than my motorhome.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Looking back in my correspondence files I see that my first reply from SFDC (29 August 2006) includes the phrase "they are only allowed to park but not camp (ie sleep on board) overnight at these places" so the action in 2008 was enforcement of restrictions that had already been in place for some time.

Not surprised, no excuse for somebody doing that to you.

It depends who owns the land. Google didn't find much but it did find the Aldeburgh Town Council Project Plan from April 2011 which contains a note "The sea wall is controlled by the Environment Agency as it is a sea defence not a road or public right of way." and "Notices have been erected forbidding parking of certain vehicles."
If the yacht club leases part of the sea wall from the EA then it may be that they would be the day to day administrators of the restriction - or, if the sign is on their land, that they just like to tell people of it :)

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Local Campsite..

Single Tent for one person High Season £23.00
Caravan/MotorHome (with electric, up to 2 adults 3 children) High Season £31.50 (Low season) £26.50..

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Local Campsite..

Single Tent for one person High Season £23.00
Caravan/MotorHome (with electric, up to 2 adults 3 children) High Season £31.50 (Low season) £26.50..

This the Gower peninsula - not much around here is cheap or even good value we've found - mind you the area is stunning & that's probably why it's comparatively expensive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back