GRRRR Sliding Doors (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If you are leaving the van you can close it very quietly by sliding it until it is almost closed and then push the right hand side of the door inwards. It will then click into place.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
We changed to a pvc only three months ago, so we're conscious of the noise opening and closing the sliding door in the evening and early morning.

One tip I picked up is that having a rooflight or window adjar facilitates a softer closing - and it works!

Like others, we are careful to only pull the door to, rather than slam it, when we've popped out briefly.

Have to say, the big door is a revelation, bringing the outdoors in - often park the van so the sun just shines in through the door - lovely and toasty inside out of the wind. Then possibly re-park for overnight, sometimes positioning so the morning sun comes in the big door. Brilliant.
that and the fact you can sit in your van and talk to passers bye is something were going to miss having joined the small door brigade

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
that and the fact you can sit in your van and talk to passers bye is something were going to miss having joined the small door brigade
Oh dear - what made you decide to go the other way?

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
If you are leaving the van you can close it very quietly by sliding it until it is almost closed and then push the right hand side of the door inwards. It will then click into place.
And what happens if you're inside - that won't close the door!!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I thought when we got ours, everyone hated them and would not park near us, ;) but they tend to park closer because the door doesn't open out. :eek:
Slamming the door makes less noise than when I disable the internal sensor on the Strickback alarm. :ROFLMAO:
:reel: :imoutahere: Bob.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I thought when we got ours, everyone hated them and would not park near us, ;) but they tend to park closer because the door doesn't open out. :eek:
Slamming the door makes less noise than when I disable the internal sensor on the Strickback alarm. :ROFLMAO:
:reel: :imoutahere: Bob.
We got into the last spot on an aire yesterday tight between a motorhome and a car that shouldn't have been there ... the ONLY reason we could get out of the camper was due to us having a sliding door ... if we'd had just normal outward opening doors we'd have been trapped or else would have had to climb over the rear bed and out through the back doors! :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not that it helps you, but some manufacturers have started fitting 'soft close' sliding doors to their PVC's
We have one and it is great most of the time but needs adjusting (yet again ... which we'll get done when we take it to the dealer for some warranty work) so occasionally the camper won't 'lock down' without the door being given some 'encouragement' ... I've found that sticking a little 'blob' on the plastic latch/contact where it pushes against the bodywork fortunately mostly solves the problem so we can close it quietly still ... now just got to solve the problem of forgetting to turn the alarm off in a morning before taking the dogs out! :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Agree - no need for slamming at all. Slide quietly, push - click. Just keep the runners greased. A lot quieter than some hinged hab doors which we know need a good slam sometimes - and sometimes several slams:)
Agree about the hab doors ... the number of times they are opened and slammed shut, opened again and slammed shut ... on, and on and on they go ... then there's the external locker doors etc ... drives us nuts at times!

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
You have my sympathy - I have a pvc with sliding door and am mindful of the noise. If I have to exit the van at unsociable hours I pull the door across but don't slam, I realise this doesn't close the door properly but I just press on the rear of the door to get it to close. Simples!!
Exactly what we used to do on our race van & go in one of the front doors, worst thing we had was a refrigerated lorry pull in beside us going the Jock Hill once, not good very grumpy campers(n)

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
We had our "soft close" feature removed from our Globecar, it did not work.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Years ago our Bongo had a soft close door system - they all do - only thing is the soft close system was noisy!

OP
OP
wanderer

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Shoudn,t laugh but Mr slide/slam the German went to drive off this morning for the day but he forgot to take in his awning which was tethered to the ground . We managed to stop him after he had gone about 2 metres but the poles and arms look worse for wear,

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Shoudn,t laugh but Mr slide/slam the German went to drive off this morning for the day but he forgot to take in his awning which was tethered to the ground . We managed to stop him after he had gone about 2 metres but the poles and arms look worse for wear,
Should find that funny and laugh ... but couldn't help it! :D

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have the soft close door on our van but I like to give it a big slam to make sure it's closed especially after 10pm :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back