Gross vehicle weight / payload (2 Viewers)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Isn't the question here what's the difference between the 3.3t and 3.5t chassis? Even if you aren't going to hit load limits, is there a reason to go one way or the other? Does the 3.3t ride better because it has more compliant springs?

My 2007 conversion was a 3.3t. Although we weren't technically overloaded, it rode pretty low at the back until I replaced the knackered bump-stops with added semi-air suspension. That might just have been that the springs were tired though.

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
I think that its to do with unladen weight and speed restrictions. If its under 3.05tonne then there are no speed restrictions ie same as a car, if using the maxi chassis takes it over 3.05 tonne then you get 10mph knocked off the speed limits. You can then uprate to 3.5 tonne on the lighter chassis but the unladen weight will still be under 3.05 tonne and no change to speed limits.

Thats my guess anyway

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think that its to do with unladen weight and speed restrictions. If its under 3.05tonne then there are no speed restrictions ie same as a car, if using the maxi chassis takes it over 3.05 tonne then you get 10mph knocked off the speed limits. You can then uprate to 3.5 tonne on the lighter chassis but the unladen weight will still be under 3.05 tonne and no change to speed limits.

Thats my guess anyway
Nope the maxi chassis doesn't take it over 3.05 tonne, well not on the ones we had anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aber Kid

Free Member
May 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
I've just bought an 08 Tracker.
I'm mystified by all these weight topics!
The FIAT plate in the bonnet states gvw 3500kg.
The Autotrail handbook figure is 3300kg. They state the unladen weight is 2915kg.
Just received the DVLA registration doc, it says 'Revenue Weight' 3300kg.
Who's more right here?
My bet is FIAT with 3500kg.... However, I notice that a substantial chassis extension attached to the rear end of FIAT's chassis supports the rear end of the mh. So maybe this accounts for the 200kg difference...???
HELP !!!

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I've just bought an 08 Tracker.
I'm mystified by all these weight topics!
The FIAT plate in the bonnet states gvw 3500kg.
The Autotrail handbook figure is 3300kg. They state the unladen weight is 2915kg.
Just received the DVLA registration doc, it says 'Revenue Weight' 3300kg.
Who's more right here?
My bet is FIAT with 3500kg.... However, I notice that a substantial chassis extension attached to the rear end of FIAT's chassis supports the rear end of the mh. So maybe this accounts for the 200kg difference...???
HELP !!!
Fiat as manufacturers of the chassis put the first plate on.
The motorhome manufacturer may decide the finished motorhome should be plated higher, lower or the same as Fiat.
They will add a 2nd plate detailing their weights. It may not be next to Fiats plate.
The latest plate takes precedence.
You might decide to uprate van to 3500 or above.
To do so you will need a dvla approved engineer to agree and provide a plate and certificate.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back