Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
i was advised by a associate (dvla) that toading a car would exceed gross train weight and therefore be illegal , he does have a reason why everything is illegal

facts bessacar e745 max gross weight 3.5t, max train weight 5.5t, rav4 toad 1.5t

3.5+1.5=5t ,max train weight 5.5t

explained this and the fact all 4 wheels brake so is a 4 wheeled braked trailer , then he is not happy that i drive this on my car licence , which clearly states up to and including 7.5t , which i have hired in the past and he tries to advise me that i may get fined if pulled over

my ka was illegal on braked a frame, my peruoda on unbraked frame was illegal , ohh nooo i am a criminal !!!!

will try to avoid conversation with him again as depresses me

lets hope this t......r doesnt pull you over , he will impound your mh, your toad, your pushbikes, your wife, your children , and then you will chainsaw his head off !!!!
sorry really did wind me up

its a sad world when you have to find a reason to persecute the people who pay your wages when there are real criminals just waiting to be lifted

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
assuming you have an 'E' catagory on your C or B licence, which you obviously do, then the guy is one step up from a jobsworth......he's a knobhead and needs to read up on trailer law and towing weights.

OP
OP
robinmclaren

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
oh yes i think our equivelent of the welsh plod who arrested every one ( didnt he taser himself as well ) , we can all read books and quote regs , the electrical ones are a nightmare and is not always achivable which is why we have a section "deviations from the regs"
i will take my regs book next time we work for him !!!!

isnt life a roundabout

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

i am now carrying the bessacarr owners book with weight in just to clarify

:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
i was advised by a associate (dvla) that toading a car would exceed gross train weight and therefore be illegal , he does have a reason why everything is illegal

facts bessacar e745 max gross weight 3.5t, max train weight 5.5t, rav4 toad 1.5t

3.5+1.5=5t ,max train weight 5.5t

explained this and the fact all 4 wheels brake so is a 4 wheeled braked trailer , then he is not happy that i drive this on my car licence , which clearly states up to and including 7.5t , which i have hired in the past and he tries to advise me that i may get fined if pulled over

my ka was illegal on braked a frame, my peruoda on unbraked frame was illegal , ohh nooo i am a criminal !!!!

will try to avoid conversation with him again as depresses me

lets hope this t......r doesnt pull you over , he will impound your mh, your toad, your pushbikes, your wife, your children , and then you will chainsaw his head off !!!!
sorry really did wind me up

its a sad world when you have to find a reason to persecute the people who pay your wages when there are real criminals just waiting to be lifted

Hi

I'm afraid he may be right it is the gross weight of the Rav4 that has to be used not the unladen weight!

I suspect that this is over 2000kgs

Regards Pat

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
i was advised by a associate (dvla
Not sure what you mean?? IS he an associate of yours or of the DVLA? What are his qualifications apart from being a 'wind up' merchant?

Ignore him - all I have read from DVLA sources contradict him.

Enjoy your toading!

Edit: unless you are not comparing like with like and 1.5T is NOT the MAM of the Rav4!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
robinmclaren

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
rav 4 is a 98 shortwheelbase and the only figures i can find are around 1.5t gross , but there is no waty the ka was over weight and my little perouda a could have pushed around all day let alone towed it
he is qualified and on the road pulling vehicles but seemed to have a objection to anything we tow and also toads , if i put a car on a 1/2t trailer there would be a problem with nose weight i am sure

dont panic i will be a rebel and continue on my travels with my toad

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi train weight is the only one that isn't done on gross weights, its done on kerb weight, so the only way they can tell is to take you to a weighbridge. The DVLA unless they have changed their website have it wrong, a guy on outandabout went in to this, and they admitted the website was wrong.

Olley

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If you have the 'Old' style licence with the 7.5t entitlement (c1+e) then you can drive a vehicle with a maxiumum combined weight of 8.25t, but not exceeding the vehicles max train weight.

If you have the (i think its' 107) code on your licence, it reduces your trailer limit from the old 3.5t to 750kg - that would be an issue, had your m/h be 7.5t.

As it isn't, you should be fine! The only issue being, watch your weight when going on holiday, as you could fairly easily pop ocver the top without knowing with all the gear! lol!

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
he is qualified and on the road pulling vehicles but seemed to have a objection to anything we tow and also toads , if i put a car on a 1/2t trailer there would be a problem with nose weight i am sure

dont panic i will be a rebel and continue on my travels with my toad

is he DVLA or VOSA - I know everybody and their uncle appears to have power of stop these days but did not know DVLA were on the road ??

OP
OP
robinmclaren

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
oh yes dvla have officers out checking vehicles with our regular boys in blue , little blue lights and everything including the power of the great man himself
i think i may visit our local weighbridge next time going away just to check weights and get ticket
dont tell me i am going to have to unload some beer, jd or chocolate

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you have the 'Old' style licence with the 7.5t entitlement (c1+e) then you can drive a vehicle with a maxiumum combined weight of 8.25t, but not exceeding the vehicles max train weight.

If you have the (i think its' 107) code on your licence, it reduces your trailer limit from the old 3.5t to 750kg - that would be an issue, had your m/h be 7.5t.

As it isn't, you should be fine! The only issue being, watch your weight when going on holiday, as you could fairly easily pop ocver the top without knowing with all the gear! lol!

Goods vehicle with MAM between 3,500 and 7,500 kg and pulling a trailer, as long as the total weight of both vehicles is not more than 8,250 kgC1E (with restriction code 79 or 107)

OP
OP
robinmclaren

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
thanks

thanks all for the info , i will weigh it before next hol as long as not exceeding 3.5t and 5.5t gtw
:thumb:

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
:Smile: Hi I have a question when you say the Rav has is braked trailer how dose that work is the Rav brakes none servo, or engine running with servo, as to stop a vehicle without a servo is very hard. Plus if it was to become detached what stop's a 1/1'2 ton Rav, with a caravan it has a lead attached to the brakes to stop it if it became detached.:Smile:
perhaps a bit of a thickie moment by me
Brian and Marion

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
G T W / Toad

Hi

My understanding is that the "toad" being used a Trailer technically Would be restricted to kw as a "toad".

"A"Frame brake systems work (mostly) on the overun principle and have a snap cable emergency system as per your average caravan.

The "grey" area is around the fact that it cannot be Automatically reversed and if you try the caster angle of the front wheels makes it "crab" after a few feet. Which (I am told) is why the German TUV will not recognize it as a legitimate means of towing.

pete

OP
OP
robinmclaren

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
without servo assistance the brakes still comply with braking regs, lets be fair a caravan or trailer has no servo , automatic braking again works on release principle same as a trailer or caravan
this is one job i always leave to the professionals as get paperwork and warranty that way

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Goods vehicle with MAM between 3,500 and 7,500 kg and pulling a trailer, as long as the total weight of both vehicles is not more than 8,250 kgC1E (with restriction code 79 or 107)

Sorry - maybe I didn't get that across. That is why I said it would only be an issue if the vehicle was 7.5t - which would give him a usable train weight of 750kg before hitting 8.25t, which would throw him over the limit.

As he is 5.5, then can tow 2.75t. - as long as that doesn't exceed the manufactuers or towbars' maximum SWL.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi train weight is the only one that isn't done on gross weights, its done on kerb weight, so the only way they can tell is to take you to a weighbridge. The DVLA unless they have changed their website have it wrong, a guy on outandabout went in to this, and they admitted the website was wrong.

Olley

are you sure olley ???

i always thought it was.....the trailers gross should never exceed the tow vehicles kerb. (or the train whichever comes first.)

i do know an unbraked trailers gross must never exceed 50% of the tugs kerb which makes the 750kg limit an overall limit and not neccessarily a legal limit
the tug will need a kerb of 1500kg minimum to tow a fully laden unbraked 750kg trailer.

this wont apply to most motorhomes but it does to my toad......
840kg kerb so i cant tow a fully loaded 750kg trailer unless its braked....im limited to 420kg

Autoroller

Free Member
Mar 10, 2008
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
6 years
Hi all,

Train Weight is the ACTUAL combined weights of the M/H and trailer each and every time you take to the road. D f T talks about Link Removed weight i.e. what you have loaded M/H and trailer (car) to every trip. So, if the quoted kerbweights added together are over the plated maximum train weight you know that you are giving VOSA cause for suspicion that you are approaching overweight and a trip to the weighbridge may ensue. If the car/trailer has a quoted gross vehicle weight/MAM less than the difference of the plated maximum train weight minus the MAM of the M/H and you are sure you have not overloaded the car/trailer (no, you cannot have persons in the car), or the M/H; then you can be pretty confident that the plated maximum trainweight will not be exceeded when VOSA take you to a weighbridge

Regards, Autoroller

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back