Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
I'm going to Switzerland in August and one route I was looking at was the Grimselpass from Brienz, it's looks very scary in places.

Just wondered if any fellow funsters have done it and if so would they recommend it or not after their experience.

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Yes, we have. It's spectacular, and no problem. (7.44 metre van).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
I was driving a coach around europe in 1977 was driving in Switzerland and taken up the Grimsel pass by a so called guide ( normal coaches were banned to wide) , you should have no problem, drive over the Grimsel turn left at Gletsch then over the Furka pass (there is another name for it) on to a place called Hospental left there and back towards Lucerne via Altdorf , there are a few places where Goldfinger was filmed also William Tell country.
The roads will be better these days.

Clive.

Reactions: f6c

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I drove over the pass last year. First time I had been over any pass, let alone the Grimsel. It's not as scary as it sounds; just winds back and forth for seven thousand feet. What goes up, must go down too!

I just took it steady and had no probs. My van is 7.2m then a bit more for the bikes.

The only strange thing was that my Sat-Nag went haywire. One minute giving a correct location and the next telling me to 'Turn around when possible'. Yeah right!

Just enjoy the ride. All will be ok.

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
You have brought back some memories for me, drove the pass many years ago towing our trailer tent. Never noticed the sign banning trailers. Only stopped once to let a car pass coming from the other direction but it was on one of the steepest sections, getting going again was a real pain wonder how the clutch survived. When we got the valley on the other side we walked into a hotel to get directions finding no one in the dark corridors we left and still think it was Draculars home! We did stay on a camp site next to an airfield not far from the pass, only two planes took of so a peaceful night was had dreaming of the day we drove the Grimsal pass. Lesson was learnt, take more notice of road sings.

Reactions: DBK
Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
What are the costs for taking a 4250kg motorhome into Switzerland, can you buy "days" or do you need an annual pass as our bikes.

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
You buy days - there is a minimum spend. I'm going off memory here, but I think it's about 3.25 Euro per day, with a minimum spend of 25 Euro. You then sign off on the form you get, each day you are IN Switzerland (NOT days you drive). Unused days valid for a year. You get the form and pay at MOST points of entry. If there is nobody there, you phone the nearest customs post and they authorise you to enter, and tell you where to drive to to pay. For example, we entered over the Great St Bernard. You can't usually pay there - we had to go down in to Switzerland, then go back into the tunnel at the Swiss end and pay there. The do a U-turn to get out again!

OP
OP
AMK

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
That's it then Grimsel then the Furkapass then down into Italy, might even stop of at the Glacier, if it's not all melted that is.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Via Switzerland not expensive even if over 3500? Considering the convenience, speed and what you get....compared to French tolls it's a bargain!

Via Austria takes a lot longer with horrible traffic through Germany (in the summer)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
We are going in June/July before the main school holidays and enjoy the trip through Germany. Probably come back a different way and will be avoiding any toll roads. Quite happy to take our time and enjoy the journey which is very much part of the holiday. We don't have a caravan anymore but a MoHo so are not rushing there to camp up in one place for 3 weeks then rush home again!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back