Grey water tank "leak"

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by mwark, Oct 6, 2015.

1. mwark

mwark Read Only Funster

Hello,

For some time we've thought our grey water tank had a leak. It seemed slow and so we never got round to doing much about it (hold criticism please, I realise I should).

The symptoms were that our grey water never gets fuller than one "bar" on the digital display, and when we drive off from a place, we noticed a trail of water left behind for a short period.

I thought this was due to a leak collecting in a drip tray or something but after checking it more thoroughly yesterday, I think there is more to it. It appears that there is some sort of plug or seal missing from the bottom centre of the tank. can actually reach up into the tank through the round hole underneath, which seems like it should have some sort of plug. The water fills to the point where it then starts to overflow and run out of the exit hole, which is about 15 cm in diameter. I bought the vehicle used and noticed this problem fairly shortly into our tour, so it may have been like this from the start.

The vehicle is an Adria Twin SP 2011. Can anyone offer advice about how the grey water tank operates, what this hole is for and how to source a replacement? We're going to look for a repair centre today and see if they can help, but thought I'd hedge my bets and ask on here while we do that.

Pic of the underside of the tank attached.

Attached Files:

2. Mel

Mel Funster

I had sort of the same problem with my Ripidoter came down the side of the pipe i sealed it with mastick round the pipe.
    Mine started to leak after i reversed over a high kerb.
    I must have hit the pipe..
    Dont know if this helps

Mel

3. Mel

Mel Funster

But when you grey water tank leaks there are no stupid drivers tailgating you.:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. mwark

mwark Read Only Funster

Hi Mel,

I don't think that helps because as I say and as I think the picture shows, there is a large purpose made hole at the bottom of the tank that looks as though it should have a stopper sealing it. I don't know what has happened to the stopper. The water is not "leaking" as such, more just coming out of that hole when the level gets high enough (doesn't take much).

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi it's the inspection bung that's missing
    Terry

• Like Like x 1
  6. mwark

mwark Read Only Funster

Thank you!

7. mwark

mwark Read Only Funster

Would anyone have a clue how to source one of these abroad? We're in the French Riviera at the moment and will be driving west toward the Biarritz area over the next week or so.

8. Badknee

Badknee Funster

It looks from the picture like there is a thread in the hole so perhaps it's just fallen out/ been left out by mistake. Can't tell from the picture how big it is but if your very worried about it find something to jam into it while you source the correct bung. Would it be wine bottle cork size? You may have to try loads of bottles till you find the right sized one. :LOL:

9. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Then again you could just leave it open and drain the grey as you go like most if not all of the Funsters :whistle2::reel:

10. mwark

mwark Read Only Funster

Ha ha, I wish it was wine cork size!

It's about 15cm in diameter. We've phoned a few local camping car places and they have told us the same thing "all years and models seem to come with unique waste tanks and the bung is a different size in each". So it's not easy to source the correct one.

Frankly if we just empty the grey water as often as possible, which we have been doing, it's not a huge problem. Until recently we just thought it was a trickle leak. When I tried putting the hose in the sink to fill the grey water tank and the overflow all came pouring out the bottom I realised it was more. So yes, maybe we can tape it up completely or something for the moment.

11. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

Good call Terry, I was going to suggest it had been fitted upside down :doh:.

12. Terry

Terry Funster

Just leave it until you get home --mean while I will see who has got spares -I have about 4 tanks laying around with various size bungs so confident we will get a match --if it comes to it I can always fit a waste tank with the bung at the top tapped over rather than waste a tank
    ;)
    terry
    CAK tanks will have bungs

• Like Like x 3
  13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

No you cant.........

When the tank is quarter full there may be 20kg pushing down on the tape repair.
    When its full there may be 80kg...

The only thing i can think would do a temp repair would be some kind of bladder to insert half way then inflate.....maybe a kiddies beachball or similar deflated, inserted then reinflated.
    Plumbers use a rubber donut which, when compressed by turning a threaded screw, will seal a 100mm or 150mm plastic pipe.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  14. mwark

mwark Read Only Funster

Thanks Terry.

@pappajohn You're complete correct, wasn't thinking.

15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Reread my post...i edited it.

16. CandC

CandC Funster Life Member

The rubber donut suggested by @pappajohn is called a pipe stopper and is what I was going to suggest as a temporary fix... Pictures here. They're available from builders merchants and tool hire shops to buy. Take your phone in and point at the picture :) they're used to block off sewer pipes etc so will take the pressure of the grey water.

Not sure how well it will seal on its own if the thread is inside the hole as the rubber is quite hard, but wrapping a couple of carrier bags around it might do the trick and would be better than over tightening the bung and possibly damaging your tank.

Oh and maybe tie some string round the handle and onto the bottom of the van somewhere just in case it should work loose.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. makems

makems Funster Life Member

I previously had a Rapido which had an inspection bung just like that. I would think quite a few continental vans use a similar system. Once you know the exact size it will probably be straightforward to track down the right part.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mwark

mwark Read Only Funster

As usual, funsters provide great advice. Thanks so much.

19. Badknee

Badknee Funster

:eek: Are you completely mad, do you know how much they cost these days????? :p

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Dry and clean the area around the hole , cut a section out a lunchbox or the like and using contact adhesive glue a patch over the hole.
    Make sure to keep the glue back a bit from the hole so as not to bugger the thread.

Vlad

• Informative Informative x 1