Grey Water Tank Access (2 Viewers)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I am trying to clean out my Grey water tank and associated feeds on our 2004 Lunar Roadstar 720. On the bottom of the tank there is what looks like a screw-on hatch cover ( see image) which looks as though it should screw off in order to gain access to the tank. I have tried gentle hand pressure to unscrew this with no success and before I get the big hammer out was wondering if anyone else had had and dealings with this type of fitting?
Grey tank 3.jpg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
it has lugs on the side to facilitate removal.. try hitting with a soft mallet.. it should shift .. eventually

failing that, can you gain access from above to insert a hose to flush out the tank ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
it has lugs on the side to facilitate removal.. try hitting with a soft mallet.

Y0u wrecker !

Some half inch ply, a jigsaw and make a key.

Or one of those chain wrenches use to remove oil filters. Maybe even a spider oil filter remover.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Are you turning it the right way. Not being rude just a suggestion.

OP
OP
namwaldog
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Thanks for the replies. I dont know if it is an age thing or not but when I get under the MH with my face directly underneath the red 'cap' with both hands on the lugs my mind is telling me that I should turn it anti-clockwise as though I am holding a steering wheel when turning left but that just doesn't feel right (or perhaps its the fear of the non liquid contents of the tank going all over my face )
I think, as Jim suggests, it may be easier to disconnect one of the inlet hoses and the outlet hose and just shove a running hosepipe in for a while.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
An oil filter removal tool, chain or strap might do it if it's not too big perhaps or as Brian says make a key. At least it will be at arms length when it comes off. :eek:

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
It should turn by hand, i have used this to access the gauge for cleaning. It will move just put a bit of oomph into it.

It actually looks easier to do than mine, which is recessed.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
If you REALLY want to get it off then it is entirely what position you take when undoing it.
Lie directly under it with you chest below the point and hold the plug with two hand one either side grasp and twist sharply, using a lot of body english, bearing in mind how resistant it was. I can now GUARANTEE it will drop open the moment you twist it.
The tank probably has a load of greasy smelly slime in it which will stink and very adherent to everything.
Go on you know it makes sense.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thanks for the replies. I dont know if it is an age thing or not but when I get under the MH with my face directly underneath the red 'cap' with both hands on the lugs my mind is telling me that I should turn it anti-clockwise as though I am holding a steering wheel when turning left but that just doesn't feel right (or perhaps its the fear of the non liquid contents of the tank going all over my face )
I think, as Jim suggests, it may be easier to disconnect one of the inlet hoses and the outlet hose and just shove a running hosepipe in for a while.
Clockwise is the correct direction - anti-clockwise to tighten!!

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Please tell us (in all the glory details) how this goes,we do like a laff.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
With a short length of flexible cord, fastened around the red thingy, turn it ANTI-clockwise. Grit and other road detritus will have entered part of the thread, adding to the resistance you feel. This can easily be overcome by attaching a lever to the cord; a six foot scaffold pole may help. If the whole tank comes away, it will give you so much better access.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
don't be a wimp man.. hit it with a mallet .. ANTI CLOCKWISE .. that's what the lugs are for.. it's not going to break.. trust me, I'm a doctor :D

I can also provide CAK tanks contact details.. ;)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Lying underneath looking up at it is no different to removing the tank & turning it upside down on the bench so you are looking down at the bung.

It's still anti-clockwise as you look at it to undo it. Using your steering wheel analogy - left hand down a bit, Mr Philips (for those who remember Troutbridge).

OP
OP
namwaldog
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Job sorted ( sort of) Made myself a tool (see image) which did the trick unscrewing it (it WAS anti-clockwise)
tool 1.jpg

Fortunately there wasn't that much muck in it and I managed to catch most of it in a bucket but then saw why it was difficult to unscrew... There was a crack in the cap both on the face and around the diameter that had been 'fixed' with silicone sealant.
I have tried to source a new cap but neither CAK tanks and Leisureshop direct have one in the correct size. (155mm)
Tank Cap.jpg

I gave the tank a good clean out, flushed the three inlet and the outlet hoses and refitted the cap using silicone again.
The cap has a part no ....REF NR 12-7006 moulded in to it so if anyone has any ideas where to source a new one I would be grateful. I have tried both the supplying dealer and Lunar Caravans but they couldn't help.
The dirtiest part was the hosing out of the tank so , on my wife's insistence, everything I was wearing is now soaking in a trug before they are allowed to go in the washer.
Many thanks to all those that replied.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
REF NR 12-7006
According to Google, that's either an Irish planning application in Limerick or a fearsome looking instrument for use in knee surgery.

Someone should write a poem about that.

There was a young man from Cumbria
Whose waste tank was ......

OP
OP
namwaldog
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We have had the van 9 months now and although it was a clean van when we bought it, and clean it after every trip, we have just spent two days taking out anything that moves and cleaning it to within an inch of its life. As my wife say's "any muck now is ours"

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You could cut a plastic disc and fit it inside the cap while its off would be unlikely to leak then or leave the crack so you dont have to bother draining the tank!!!!!:whistle::whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back