grey water dribbler (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I always let my fresh water drain before moving off, it keeps the weight down, we carry a 5ltr bottle of fresh for emergencys should they happen when we are moving between sites.
Can I. Ask why you drain it off? It's not as though it would realistically affect fuel consumption.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Other than it being disgusting and smelly. There is a public perception issue and a safety issue.

The public sees waste water coming out and they don't know what is in it. It forms a bed impression and is not good for our hobby (or in my case lifestyle).

Secondly the safety issue. Most of the dregs at the bottom of the tanks with the bits of nasty in it come out when the vehicle is subjected to lateral G forces such as bends, corners and roundabouts.
This is a serious hazard to cyclists and motor bike riders. Not only can it splash up in their face with obvious health implications but it can make an otherwise dry and grippy road slippy exactly when a 2 wheel vehicle needs the most traction.

Dumping in hedges or verges is ok in my opinion if done discretely and carefully. However driving on the road with the tap open is dangerous, inconsiderate and rude in my opinion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
We stopped at a site in Yorkshire and when we pitched an hooked up i asked the owner where the toilets - chemical disposal points where and the grey waste point - i was told to just empty the grey on the pitch as they had no drain system... when we were in Spain last year everyone on site was just dumping the grey at the back of the pitch, and in the heat you would think it would stink but you couldn't smell anything.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
[QUOTE="Enword, post: We had a bit of a dribble out side ours one day.[/QUOTE]

That looks like a good old engine radiator blown, jobby on an older British vehicle the lovely rusty mess the cast iron engine made when it was left in there too long without inhibitor.
My waste water is clear and minimal usually less than 10 litres max.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Am I the only person that finds it odd that the op took so much information about the grey waste disposal expert?
Is this where we are now? At a show and shame forum?
Just for note I have a big newf dog sticker on my van and have been known to leave my waste open through both intentionally as requested by site owner and accidentally because I'm human and despite what others say I do occasionally make mistakes. .
I would never tell anyone to get a life as that brakes forum rules but sometimes I really think it.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I wear Tena for men, works for me :xwink:
Wasn't last night mate have you seen the mess on this showground? There's some vans that at stuck thanks to your dribbling

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Wasn't last night mate have you seen the mess on this showground? There's some vans that at stuck thanks to your dribbling
Shush will ya............ I ran out of them over Christmas :xblush:

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
[QUOTE="Enword, post: We had a bit of a dribble out side ours one day.

That looks like a good old engine radiator blown, jobby on an older British vehicle the lovely rusty mess the cast iron engine made when it was left in there too long without inhibitor.

Not blown radiator, one of the waste tankers going to the bio gas plant stopped outside for a car that braked sharp (very hot day) then the blow off valve on the top of the tanker went off because the waste (Curry) had fermented, fair mess to say the least it was in the trees & even hanging off the phone lines.:sicker:

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Can I. Ask why you drain it off? It's not as though it would realistically affect fuel consumption.
Only about 3% BHP Per ton 100lt water in a 3.5 ton with say 127 BHP

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not getting into this argument, but some things that upset some on here are things that others just take in their stride, depends where you come from a bit I suppose , as to here where we live , cow shit and slurry on the roads is just normal so a bit of grey water would probably do it good but if you come from sterile streets a bit of grey water is the end of the world.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Only about 3% BHP Per ton 100lt water in a 3.5 ton with say 127 BHP
Don't understand the figures, does they mean it makes a difference or not(n)

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Working on what we use for Power to weight calculation it would only take 3% of your power for 100lts

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Dumping in hedges or verges is ok in my opinion if done discretely and carefully. However driving on the road with the tap open is dangerous, inconsiderate and rude in my opinion

There is nothing wrong with running "grey" onto a grass site, through a Filter. Which I have done in the past. The filter catches the C r a p, and that is disposed of in the "Dry" waste. What I refer to is the indiscriminate disposal of waste onto the public highway, to the potential detriment of others. Put in into drains if you must. but PLEASE do not trail it onto highway!. "Dumping" into hedgerows is (was) encouraged when I started caravanning and rallying in the "dim and distant", along with Digging (and back filling) "Elsan Points"!!!

Pete

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
But 100 lts of water is no where near a ton, so still don't get it, sorry

If you had a car that was a ton in weight & had 1000 BHP that would be 1000 BHP per Ton.
If you had a car that was 1/2 a ton in weight & had 500 BHP that would still be 1000 BHP per Ton. & so on:)
Sorry I only worked it out just to see for fun (Its a sad racer thing) 100lts = 100kg its a percentage of your weight v Power

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Not getting into this argument, but some things that upset some on here are things that others just take in their stride, depends where you come from a bit I suppose , as to here where we live , cow shit and slurry on the roads is just normal so a bit of grey water would probably do it good but if you come from sterile streets a bit of grey water is the end of the world.

Ha ha your in

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time

Not a problem, I drain it off because we have very little payload, and the fines are quite heavy for an over loaded vehicle.
It's nothing to do with fuel consumption, MPL, I keep a record of every trip Miles, Litres etc.
I 've had as high as 29 mpg and as low as 21mpg, generally the average is somewhere around 25mpg, and I'm satisfied with that.
(I work on 4.55 litres per gallon)

Just a tip for future reference. On the A30 heading east, just before "Kingsley Village" they always set up a weigh station, going west it's just past there just as you crest the hill.
It's not just trucks that are waved in, I regularly see M/Hs dragged in.
So it works down to economics really, do I overload and chance a fine, or do I empty out and refill at the next site? Water is free:clap2:

It's just what some people do seems a bit strange to me as well, we wouldn't think of setting off without a full tank.:xgrin:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Not a problem, I drain it off because we have very little payload, and the fines are quite heavy for an over loaded vehicle.
It's nothing to do with fuel consumption, MPL, I keep a record of every trip Miles, Litres etc.
I 've had as high as 29 mpg and as low as 21mpg, generally the average is somewhere around 25mpg, and I'm satisfied with that.
(I work on 4.55 litres per gallon)

Just a tip for future reference. On the A30 heading east, just before "Kingsley Village" they always set up a weigh station, going west it's just past there just as you crest the hill.
It's not just trucks that are waved in, I regularly see M/Hs dragged in.
So it works down to economics really, do I overload and chance a fine, or do I empty out and refill at the next site? Water is free:clap2:
On that weight note I believe that on a 4 ton van.. you get a warning up to 200k overweight..
100 quid fine 200-400kilo overweight .. goes up to 30% overweight with increasing fines. Over that and it's a court apearance..

Back on topic ..
Emptying grey water on your pitch is still minging though.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
If you had a car that was a ton in weight & had 1000 BHP that would be 1000 BHP per Ton.
If you had a car that was 1/2 a ton in weight & had 500 BHP that would still be 1000 BHP per Ton. & so on:)
Sorry I only worked it out just to see for fun (Its a sad racer thing) 100lts = 100kg its a percentage of your weight v Power
:eek:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
An Autocruise Augusta left the site yesterday, after first opening his drain on the pitch then left it open all the way off, thought he was a funster because he had a big "smiley" on his back panel, but I don't think he was, also he was towing a quite big flat bed Brian James trailer with a new-style mini aboard, it seemed quite a large weight to tow, the M/H was peugeot=based, not sure which engine. Any one know the limit for this van?
Cheers, Dave:xsurprised:
Just to make it clear .... I have an Augusta but it wasn't me.:whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back