Free Member
Nov 5, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hi All,

Complete newbie here, we've ordered our 1st ever MH and take delivery March next year. We have never camped or anything.

Whilst at the showroom today we were talking to some other customers who have had a MH for 15 years and they gave us loads of useful tips etc which was invaluable. He said that he wild camps a bit in his MH and when he does he disposes of his grey water down a kerbside grid, is this okay? Of all the advice he gave this seemed to be the most doubtful. Can you all please advise.

We envisage most of our MH time will be on a Club site so how do we empty our GW when on site? Our MH has a GW tank of 100 litres.

Dec 22, 2013
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt low profile
Exp
since 2011
there are drive over waste points to dispose of grey water on sites but this requires you move the van, I use a bucket ans just empty a bucket full now and again down the disposal drain

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I usually have a bucket under the drain for the grey tank and empty it every days into the proper place site. (y)

Don't really agree with dumping into gullies etc.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
:pink:

The resources tab above is a good start... just browse through this forum and you will learn a lot and don't forget to just put a key word in the search box top right to find anything...(y)

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Open your grey waste tap as you leave the site, the waste tank will be empty in a couple of miles. Any following bikers deserve it anyway ;)
:reel:

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
A new grey water thread - yippee:rolleyes:
Sorry for fun @Fatbelly but if you put grey water into the search box, you will get quite a few results! .....and lots of varying opinions.
Edit...just don't ever let it drain on the road, @Gizmouk having fun.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Many may suggest one thing but do another. Behave sensibly and you should be OK.
I try to use official dumping places but have resorted to using a road gulley on occasion. If someone took exception I'd plead ignorance on the basis that I'd be happy to put it on my garden, which is what I do when I take it home.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Fatbelly

Free Member
Nov 5, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thanks all for the replies.
Another question regarding the leisure battery. It is a 110 Amp leisure battery with a 100 watt solar panel on the roof. How much use can we expect out of the LB? Is it just a small usage back up or can we camp without EHU just using the LB. Also how useful is the solar panel 100 watt doesn't seem much.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Another question regarding the leisure battery. It is a 110 Amp leisure battery with a 100 watt solar panel on the roof. How much use can we expect out of the LB? Is it just a small usage back up or can we camp without EHU just using the LB. Also how useful is the solar panel 100 watt doesn't seem much.
So the answer to the leisure batteries is - how long is a piece of string :D
Your 110AH battery will deliver exactly what it says on the tin, ie 110 amp hours, however, you can't use all of that. Below 50% of charge and the battery is frankly knackered.
So really depends on your usage. Most 12v items use very little power, the lighting (providing you have LED) uses about 2amps. If you have a 12v telly, between 1-2amps.
Without EHU your fridge should go over to gas. Unless you are mental (like us) and use tonnes of power, your 110 AH battery can last ages. With the current weather, the 100w solar is going to provide a very small amount of power, possibly 1 amp if you are not in the shade.
I would possibly suggest increasing the number of batteries, we have 2 110AH, and that lasts us and that is being silly using the microwave and coffee machine from the inverter! :D

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It is difficult to tell you exactly how long leisure battery will last you but I can say have been off EHU for 3 nights many times without significant loss (no top ups from driving). However that was only for lights and water pump. With the little top up from solar panel, I would expect you to be able to use tv for a couple of hours a day and also to use 12 v for phone charge. Fridge and cooking will be gas when not on EHU. I think you would be ok without another battery unless you intend to use an inverter for a 240v appliance.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Don't really agree with dumping into gullies etc.

Why ever not?
That's exactly where the camp site waste is going and just the same as your kitchen waste pipe at home.
A street drain is perfectly OK.

If you are wild camping and dependant on batteries then I would sugest you need two 110A at least.
If, as we usually do, watch TV for 3 hours of an evening then we would need to travel 3 hours the next day.
I would suspect the 100w solar panel will half that on a good day, I have 200w solar panels and it is self sustaining in summer.
But don't take my word for it as your consumption could be way different to mine, you will need to monitor your battery voltages to get a true picture.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Regarding the battery, much will depend on its current condition. If your demands are modest it should be OK, so long as it's in reasonable condition. Many vans get by with less than an 110Ah source.
100W solar isn't bad, but none will be particularly beneficial in winter. You will need to discover the capabilities based on your personal use. Don't forget that batteries will (or should) be charged by the engine every time you move. Battery capacity only becomes significant if you plan to spend a lot of time off grid without moving.

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Why ever not?
That's exactly where the camp site waste is going and just the same as your kitchen waste pipe at home.

I doubt very much that most camp site waste is going into the local street drain and I can assure you the kitchen waste pipe in my house goes into the sewer.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Who actually knows ? -

Two Different Types of Waste Water
There are two separate types of sewer. First is the foul water sewage, which contains the waste from toilets, baths, wash basins, kitchen sinks, dishwashers, showers etc. Second, there are surface water sewers, which carry essentially harmless rainwater away to rivers and soakaways. These can also course rainwater directly from roofs (via guttering).

There are also combined sewers, where both types are mixed together underground and sent for treatment. The problem with this type is that it leads to unnecessary treatment and can cause overflow during rain storms, meaning raw sewage from homes can spill onto streets. New developments tend to keep the two types separate, but some towns and cities still have combined systems.

Water for washing often goes into the same exposed outdoor drains that carry away roof and surface water, but the waste from the toilet is entirely sealed, with no access to the air until it reaches the sewage plant.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Who actually knows ? -

nobody except the land owner or local authority and the reason why I often post do not use any gulley, it might be linked directly to the local stream or sewer, it is never obvious which

if in any doubt dumping it on grass is so much better than a random gulley, it will filter through the ground with minimal harm

by grass I mean some rough ground not the verge beside your pitch :)

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997

We have similar set up (110Ah Battery, 85W solar panel) and run all gadgets off the 12v system, but the lights are all LED and we don't have air conditioning or a microwave. We rarely if ever need to hook up the 230v, BUT the solar panel alone won't keep the battery charged between Dec and Feb in the UK due to lower sunlight levels.

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A large number of sites ( if you are on sites ) encourage folk to run grey in to a bucket and use it to water trees around the place

Grey water is oft debated but as far as I am concerned it is nowt to get overly worried about... Just use your nodle and I am sure you will find lots of places to dispose of the stuff.
It is not exactly highly toxic.. A few fats, a bit of soap ( which has fat and oil in it usually anyway ) and that is about it..
In fact thinking further, probably the most toxic stuff in the grey is tea ! And the amount of times I have seen people empty tea pots on grass is beyond count

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Fatbelly

Free Member
Nov 5, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thanks Guy's for all the replies You've all been very helpful. I'm a lot clearer now and more at ease

Upvote 0

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
There are thousands of boats on the British canal system that do not have "grey water" tanks. Wash up and the water goes into the canal, same for showering and anything else that the motorhome uses the grey water tank for.

Dave

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
nobody except the land owner or local authority and the reason why I often post do not use any gulley, it might be linked directly to the local stream or sewer, it is never obvious which

if in any doubt dumping it on grass is so much better than a random gulley, it will filter through the ground with minimal harm

by grass I mean some rough ground not the verge beside your pitch :)
Gullies, even if they go straight into a stream, accept surface rainwater. Along with traces of road fuel, lubricating oil, salt (in Winter), animal excrement, litter, etc. I can't see that a little toothpaste, soap, detergent, and food particles, is going to have any additional effect on the environment. I use roadside gullies on a regular basis.

Upvote 0

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Why ever not?
+1 we always wild camp so grey water gets emptied where ane when needed , our grey water is pretty crap free as I'm very careful that no gunk gets flushed down the sinks , so nothing get blocked.
As for chemicals , minimal amounts are used.
PS thanks for creating another grey water debate thread :D :D :D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back