bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I ought to add.... I understand Bold or Daz, not much of that at the Norma, Pennymarkt, Netto's etc here in Germany. Have just bought 'something' bio.... going to test it out. Thanks!::bigsmile: Jane

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
dilutable orange juice for me too.. Think it was Richerd ( Village Guitars ) who told me about it some time ago

Road Burner

Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coach Built low
Exp
SINCE 2008
Had a similar problem, very smelly at the back of the van. Now I use a wastemaster and let the water from the tank drain straight into it on site. Problem solved and you don't have to move the van to empty it!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Had a similar problem, very smelly at the back of the van. Now I use a wastemaster and let the water from the tank drain straight into it on site. Problem solved and you don't have to move the van to empty it!!

kinda defeats the object of having an onboard grey tank though.:Doh:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Our van now does not have the smell because of the U bend traps, but in our previous van we used to get the smell cured it with Orange and leaving the system open when travelling and also found using antibacterial washing up liquid helped, still stick with the antibacterial now as a precaution. Carol.

richard fuller

Free Member
Aug 18, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
two
smelly waste

Hi. We used to suffer from the embarasment of the smell when emptying the grey water waste.Someone noticing the problem on site one day sugested milton sterilising fluid, this works well as do other suppermarket own brand sterilisers, result no more embarasing waste tank emptying. Hope this helps regards richard

Randonneur

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
4 years
We recently had these smells and poured a cheap bottle of Cola down both bathroom and sink plugholes because we have 2 waste tanks. The Cola in the kitchen sink took its time going down and was gurgling like a volcano but my goodness me did it do the trick, it was amazing what gunge came out. We took the van for a short drive to let it slosh about (technical term) and then used a bowl under the outlets and then left them open. Job done.

We read about the Orange Squash trick in Practical Motorhome last year but the only stuff they sell here is a thick cordial which I don't think would work, the fizzy stuff might work though.

Last edited:

wayfarer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Co. Clare. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I use Milton as well about once a week especially if the weather is hot. Its a mild bleach and if its suitable for baby's bottles it should be ok for the greywater tank

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Eliminate waste water smells

I tired of trying to find a chemical solution for the waste water smell and just tackled the problem of being able to drain the tank completely. Most waste tanks have the outlet pipe in the side of the tanks, so.....

From CAK tanks, I bought a replacement access cap for the bottom of the tank (like a large bottle top!), a waste outlet for a sink with an elbow outlet, a length of convoluted hose to fit the sink outlet and a tap. I removed the original access cap (very smelly job!) and checked the new one fitted and then, Using a suitable size hole cutter, made a hole in the old access cap for the sink waste outlet. I then lightly fitted the sink outlet in the cap and screwed it back on tightly and moved the elbow to point in the direction the hose needs to go and marked it with a permanent marker. Remove access hatch and then fix sink waste in marked position with lots of sealer and leave to set for a bit. Fit back to tank and the run hose from outlet to side of van supported either by cable ties, or better with strip Velcro, then clip hose and tap in suitable bracket. Now, when emptying the tank, all the water and grey waste is flushed out in a rush and smells are a thing of the past. It is best to have a fairly full tank when you flush as a good head of water does a fine job! I have used this method on two vans and have never had a problem with ground clearance even in the desert of Morocco...... I use ChemproUSP, Found in wine making shops, to clean and sterilise the tank at season's end.
Hope it helps

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We bung up the plugholes with plugs or tissue when driving, and I never let the waste tank get more than half full before emptying it, usually less. I leave the draincock open in storage and whilst driving to our destination until we start using the sinks.

I sometimes leave the draincock open on campsites and put a black plastic jerrycan under it, then wait 'til it looks full before emptying it.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Anyone got any tips on elliminating grey waste tank smell.

Has anyone tried the Thetford tank freshner, or is it just disinfectant?

Yes-and it works ::bigsmile: others may have their own pet solutions (sorry,no pun intended)
When we got our van the inside of the waste tank was coated black and it smelt-after first use of Thetford Tank Freshener huge flakes of black were coming out with the waste water and now,after 3 yrs, the tank is clean:thumb:
Sinks also empty faster after using TTF.
I use TTF about 3 times a yr,or if waste water starts to smell.
Mike.

Last edited:

mobic

Free Member
Oct 23, 2013
Linlithgow, West Lothian
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Grey Tank pongs

Sainsburys own budget brand thin bleach poured down the sink in our Swift Royale 590 before each journey does the trick for us.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
On our last outing I put 4litres of a cheap Cola down the sink (A tip that someone on fun gave out) Time we got home and drained it, no more smells:thumb:

Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
Anyone got any tips on elliminating grey waste tank smell.

Do shower trays have waste traps fitted? The reason I am asking is that after we arrive on site the shower/loo room is a bit niffy. I am sure it's not the loo causing the smell but the grey waste tank. I always empty as much as I can but due to the way the van may be leaning it is not always possible to drain completely. It doesn't smell when setting off so I am assuming whats in there once agitated by the motion causes the smell.

Has anyone tried the Thetford tank freshner, or is it just disinfectant?

I use a solution of washing powder, works fine. I also leave the sink and shower emptying plugs in after the water has drained away. This prevents smells where there is not a fitted trap:thumb::thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I use a solution of washing powder, works fine. I also leave the sink and shower emptying plugs in after the water has drained away. This prevents smells where there is not a fitted trap:thumb::thumb:

Snap:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I've used the cheap cola, it works wonders on dissolving all the crud, just don't leave it in the sink as it will attack the steel as it is quite a strong acid.
I can't imagine why anyone would want to drink it though :roflmto:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Mines been perfect after I took the tips given on here:
1. tip some coke down all the waste pipes occasionly
2. put the cheapest bio washing liquid down the waste pipes on a regular basis

Dave