grey waste on grass

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by CWH, Aug 18, 2015.

1. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

On another thread, a Funster says that when he's pitched on grass he leaves the grey waste tap open as it's only his soapy water being discharged.
    This is something I wouldn't do and wouldn't want to follow onto the pitch of someone who did, as there are wastes in the water and I think it could be unhygienic and smelly as well as potentially leaving a soggy patch.
    Am I being over-fussy?
    What's your opinion please?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

I agree. I would never open my grey waste valve on a site pitch. You are correct in saying that it is only soapy water. Bacteria levels could be horrendous :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mel

Mel Funster

I also agree.
    No thought for who comes next.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Manic

Manic Funster

Yes I agree, I wouldn't want to follow someone on a pitch that they had dumped their waste on and it wouldn't be very good if the next pitch occupants had a tent and/or children.
    If requested by the owner to dump waste in hedge, far enough but not on pitch.

• Like Like x 2
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Some independent site owners actively encourage emptying grey water into the hedge bottom.
    The hedge is usually at the back of perimeter pitch

What's the difference.

• Like Like x 6
  6. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Pahh its only soapy water, whats up with you all:doh:

• Like Like x 9
  7. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

I wouldn't do it on a campsite pitch but it's done regularly at meets that are held in fields or even Chester racecourse.

A bag with grass cuttings left under the grey outlet filters any small particles. It doesn't smell and doesn't cause any problems.

Saw loads of vans last weekend at Malvern draining like that, better than leaving the tap open to empty on the road.

• Like Like x 6
  8. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

As with all things in life a little common sense is required . drain into a bucket and water hedge etc . I don't believe there is any toxic waste problem , but leaving a soggy pitch is thoughtless .
    I drained my grey tank onto my grass when I got home the other day , I'm quite happy with that .
    p.s. we always pre rinse the pots , so there are no peas or spaghetti to worry about !

• Like Like x 5
  9. rb62

rb62 Funster

Last year we were members of a club that held a rally on a rugby field and they were all letting their grey waste onto the
    playing field! Round the playing field were banners advertising
    a youth tournament the following week,I did mention it to the rally officers but was told "well thats what we do"
    We didn't renew our membership!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

I'd hate to step out of my van into a muddy puddle left behind from another camper.
    Dumping your grey waste into a hedgerow is not the same a dumping it directly under your MH. We've stayed on sites which actively encouraged this, but they didn't allow dumping directly onto the field
    I appreciate its not contaminated as such, but its such a large volume of water to pour out in one small space.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Popeye

Popeye Funster

When I asked about it at Malvern I was told I needed a "Magic Bucket".

The Magic Bucket is just an ordinary bucket placed under the grey waste outlet but with loads of holes in the bottom, this way all those campers around you admire your caring cleanliness but nobody actually ever sees you empty the bucket.......simples.

I walked down to the show to buy a magic bucket but the traders just looked at me as if I was from another planet........yeah yeah I know you all think that anyway!

Anyway before leaving I called up to say onyerbike good-bye to @swanseajack13 and made use of the hedgerow, preferable I think.....

• Like Like x 16
  12. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I fill my bucket and empty it along the fence line

• Like Like x 4
  13. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I have done it by mistake on site, but it's usually a hedgerow job

• Like Like x 3
  14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We do most of our camping at rallies and on CLs. Some have a designated grey waste point but most places do not so I always make a point of enquiring what to do. In that way the disposal method is approved by the site owner or steward. If we are only away for a couple of nights I normally wait until we get home and run the waste down the grate into which the kitchen sink drains.

On our recent trip we stayed at nine venues. In eight cases the instruction was to empty at the hedge/fence lines and at the other to just let it drain onto the (very dry) field. We have a flexible hose which attaches to the waste outlet so I used that to run it under the van, moving the position of the hose end each day.

We always wipe plates with kitchen towels, which go in the bin, to remove solids and as much grease as possible before washing up.

• Like Like x 8
  15. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

I cannot see what the fuss is about but then again I would never dream of dumping a tank full and making a swamp. We always wipe the food bits off the pots before washing them so there is nothing but soapy water in the tank. I do cart it away if the ground would not be capable of draining it quickly I.e. Before we vacate the pitch.
    As for it being on the road, well apart from the legal debate, it cannot be worse than the grime washed off vehicles in the rain.
    I have often thought that those that are against dropping grey water have probably at some time had a specific experience that has happened to them. Is this the case or is it the perceived thoughts about it being dirty?
    Those that are against it as it were some sort of biological Eco danger zone are in my opinion not really cut out for the outdoor life.
    Also on the same theme of unwanted waste.
    I do clean up after my dog but the way this sort of debate is going, there will be calls to clean up dog pee! Btw, what would you do if you saw a dog have a pee just where you are about to pitch?

• Like Like x 6
  16. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Whilst I don't disagree with you, if you were a car driver following this waste water disposal method and ignorant of how waste is disposed of by campers, what do you thing he'd be thinking?

I'll stick with the hedgerows or as GJH says go with the site owners wishes and/or instructions.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

If it did a 100litre wee I would definitely ask for another pitch:)

• Like Like x 8
  18. movan

movan Funster Life Member

I can't understand the problem with it going onto a field ... as you wash the dishes ... where it will soak through as I can't believe that anyone doesn't wipe their dishes with kitchen roll first before putting them in the dish water.... and then as an extra precaution I have a filter over the sink hole. . so it is just water ... If there are trees or shrubs nearby I deliberately catch the water in a bowl to water the greenery if the weather is very hot.

I can't believe EVEN MORE that I have replied to another grey waste thread!!!!!:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::BigGrin:

• Like Like x 11
  19. phase3begins

phase3begins Read Only Funster

Just a thought.
    There seem to be an equal number of threads about 'it's only water' and 'how do I stop my grey water stinking'

• Like Like x 4
  20. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

Normally empty ours at home but forgot to close the tap at the Bristol meet and it emptied out all weekend, surprised no one mentioned it although I was parked up with Silkcut and Mizimad so no wonder, lol

• Like Like x 5