LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
On another thread, a Funster says that when he's pitched on grass he leaves the grey waste tap open as it's only his soapy water being discharged.
This is something I wouldn't do and wouldn't want to follow onto the pitch of someone who did, as there are wastes in the water and I think it could be unhygienic and smelly as well as potentially leaving a soggy patch.
Am I being over-fussy?
What's your opinion please?

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I agree. I would never open my grey waste valve on a site pitch. You are correct in saying that it is only soapy water. Bacteria levels could be horrendous :mad:

Reactions: CWH
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yes I agree, I wouldn't want to follow someone on a pitch that they had dumped their waste on and it wouldn't be very good if the next pitch occupants had a tent and/or children.
If requested by the owner to dump waste in hedge, far enough but not on pitch.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I wouldn't do it on a campsite pitch but it's done regularly at meets that are held in fields or even Chester racecourse.

A bag with grass cuttings left under the grey outlet filters any small particles. It doesn't smell and doesn't cause any problems.

Saw loads of vans last weekend at Malvern draining like that, better than leaving the tap open to empty on the road.

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
As with all things in life a little common sense is required . drain into a bucket and water hedge etc . I don't believe there is any toxic waste problem , but leaving a soggy pitch is thoughtless .
I drained my grey tank onto my grass when I got home the other day , I'm quite happy with that .
p.s. we always pre rinse the pots , so there are no peas or spaghetti to worry about !

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Last year we were members of a club that held a rally on a rugby field and they were all letting their grey waste onto the
playing field! Round the playing field were banners advertising
a youth tournament the following week,I did mention it to the rally officers but was told "well thats what we do"
We didn't renew our membership!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'd hate to step out of my van into a muddy puddle left behind from another camper.
Dumping your grey waste into a hedgerow is not the same a dumping it directly under your MH. We've stayed on sites which actively encouraged this, but they didn't allow dumping directly onto the field
I appreciate its not contaminated as such, but its such a large volume of water to pour out in one small space.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
When I asked about it at Malvern I was told I needed a "Magic Bucket".

The Magic Bucket is just an ordinary bucket placed under the grey waste outlet but with loads of holes in the bottom, this way all those campers around you admire your caring cleanliness but nobody actually ever sees you empty the bucket.......simples.

I walked down to the show to buy a magic bucket but the traders just looked at me as if I was from another planet........yeah yeah I know you all think that anyway!

Anyway before leaving I called up to say onyerbike good-bye to @swanseajack13 and made use of the hedgerow, preferable I think.....

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We do most of our camping at rallies and on CLs. Some have a designated grey waste point but most places do not so I always make a point of enquiring what to do. In that way the disposal method is approved by the site owner or steward. If we are only away for a couple of nights I normally wait until we get home and run the waste down the grate into which the kitchen sink drains.

On our recent trip we stayed at nine venues. In eight cases the instruction was to empty at the hedge/fence lines and at the other to just let it drain onto the (very dry) field. We have a flexible hose which attaches to the waste outlet so I used that to run it under the van, moving the position of the hose end each day.

We always wipe plates with kitchen towels, which go in the bin, to remove solids and as much grease as possible before washing up.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I cannot see what the fuss is about but then again I would never dream of dumping a tank full and making a swamp. We always wipe the food bits off the pots before washing them so there is nothing but soapy water in the tank. I do cart it away if the ground would not be capable of draining it quickly I.e. Before we vacate the pitch.
As for it being on the road, well apart from the legal debate, it cannot be worse than the grime washed off vehicles in the rain.
I have often thought that those that are against dropping grey water have probably at some time had a specific experience that has happened to them. Is this the case or is it the perceived thoughts about it being dirty?
Those that are against it as it were some sort of biological Eco danger zone are in my opinion not really cut out for the outdoor life.
Also on the same theme of unwanted waste.
I do clean up after my dog but the way this sort of debate is going, there will be calls to clean up dog pee! Btw, what would you do if you saw a dog have a pee just where you are about to pitch?

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
As for it being on the road, well apart from the legal debate, it cannot be worse than the grime washed off vehicles in the rain.

Whilst I don't disagree with you, if you were a car driver following this waste water disposal method and ignorant of how waste is disposed of by campers, what do you thing he'd be thinking?

I'll stick with the hedgerows or as GJH says go with the site owners wishes and/or instructions.

Reactions: CWH

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I can't understand the problem with it going onto a field ... as you wash the dishes ... where it will soak through as I can't believe that anyone doesn't wipe their dishes with kitchen roll first before putting them in the dish water.... and then as an extra precaution I have a filter over the sink hole. . so it is just water ... If there are trees or shrubs nearby I deliberately catch the water in a bowl to water the greenery if the weather is very hot.

I can't believe EVEN MORE that I have replied to another grey waste thread!!!!!:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:::bigsmile:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Just a thought.
There seem to be an equal number of threads about 'it's only water' and 'how do I stop my grey water stinking'
Ah statistics, statistics and more damn statistics...

Is this because half of us have no sense of smell?
Is it because half of us have bad breath and smell things that arn't really there?
Is it because the thread is started by a salesman upping the sales of smelly detergent cleaners?

The list is endless. :)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Normally empty ours at home but forgot to close the tap at the Bristol meet and it emptied out all weekend, surprised no one mentioned it although I was parked up with Silkcut and Mizimad so no wonder, lol
............................. and poor Jane didn't notice cos she was too traumatised because you left her screaming in the field being chased by a tarantula. :(

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Just a thought.
There seem to be an equal number of threads about 'it's only water' and 'how do I stop my grey water stinking'
By letting it go onto the field, which is just about the best think you can do, wash the van with mine when in Morocco, no probs, no wonder we have hosepipe bans in uk

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Whilst I don't disagree with you, if you were a car driver following this waste water disposal method and ignorant of how waste is disposed of by campers, what do you thing he'd be thinking?

I'll stick with the hedgerows or as GJH says go with the site owners wishes and/or instructions.
That's why I would only do that if its raining heavily. Did it once on a dry road a few years ago and someone in a car thought the van had a leak that I was not aware of!:)
Confession time. I have fitted a cab controlled dump valve just for such occasions. If it's dry, there is a drain in a lay-by near home that I can just pull over and flick the switch. If it's tipping down, we get home 5 mins sooner:LOL:

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thank you for all your replies (y)
Well it seems I'm not being ridiculously picky then :) even if opinion is divided :rolleyes:
Certainly I've used hedgerows on CLs/CSs to dump grey waste when directed to do so but I try to slosh the bucket as far from other peoples pitches as possible. It's a matter of courtesy I think.
It's not a case of "Eco danger zone" @Derbyshire wanderer but I just think it's unnecessary. And I've done my share of much-more-near-to-real "outdoor life" than I would class MHing as being ;)

If it was only water, why would you bother to wash pots & pans, dishes, hair, body etc? The water collects and carries 'stuff' (grease, bacteria etc) surely? And as @phase3begins says, if its left in the tank it does start to smell - 'something' causes that doesn't it? :cautious:

Just came across this:
"Greywater tanks can be very smelly. Grey water is not supposed to be stored for more than 24 hours, otherwise the bacteria present in the water feed on the nutrients (from the soaps, detergents and kitchen wastes) and really can make very bad smells in a relatively short time. "
So the detergent makes it even more smelly??? o_O

Ref the 'on the road' question - there was a thread on here a while ago from a biker who got a facefull of a MH'ers grey waste :eek:

............................. and poor Jane didn't notice cos she was too traumatised because you left her screaming in the field being chased by a tarantula. :(
oooohhhh I'd love to know what THIS is about!!! :Eeek:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Sorry guy's, but if people were to be honest enough to admit it many on this forum leave it open on the grass. I like many have the "Magic Bucket" which cost me a lot of money, so I use it with common sense............................
If any member wants to buy my "Magic Bucket" or a new one, please come and see me..............

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
My grey waste pipe was ripped off wild camping in Scotland and I replaced with one of those nature pure water filters.
I heard how good they were on here ,a few of you rate them highly,so I thought I'd make a little modification and do my bit for the environment .
All the water that leaves my van is purer than the water most of you put in so it runs freely wherever I park.

Vlad

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you are on a "pitch" that might well be occupied the moment you leave then of course it would not be right to drop grey waste upon it. However, take the malvern rally last weekend, most people can drop their grey right there in the orchard , no problem. It certainly won't damage the environment, on the contrary.

It helps if you have a 20 metre pipe like I have so it exits nearer someone else's pitch rather than your own. :rofl:

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I noticed one chap, on a rally field with an old sock over the waste outlet trapping any food and greasy residue............not everybody's solution but thoughtful nonetheless.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back