Grey Waste always indicating Full any ideas

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by SoapyTutti, Jul 3, 2013.

1. SoapyTutti

SoapyTutti Read Only Funster

Hi Funsters,

We have an Autotrail FB Tracker with a Sergeant EC500 control panel which is now always showing the waste to be 100 % full even when I know it is well and truly empty and ideas of where to access the sensors I assume.

Kind Regards

Dave

2. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi don't even bother :BigGrin: if you clean the tank sensors they only block up again :Smile:
    easy way is empty tank every time you fill up with fresh :Wink:
    terry

• Like Like x 2
  3. SoapyTutti

SoapyTutti Read Only Funster

Hi Terry,

Thank you thought as much and that is what I have been doing for sometime now don't particularly feel like getting covered in stinky grey waste:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Detnor

Detnor Funster

Terry is absolutely correct. The sensor gets covered in, well, waste, and then it thinks the tank is full, or stops working all together, and just gives no response.

Once upon a time I was always trying to sort this out, gave it up. Empty when you can, it keeps the weight down, more time to think about something else that is squeaking, sticking or rattling - then you just think Funster and put the kettle on.

Happy travels

5. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Next time you take your m/h out for a reasonable run try filling the waste tank about 33% with clean water (warm if possible) .... then when you stop empty the tank and hopefully this will clean it and the probes.

When leaving a site I usually leave some waste water in the tank and empty it after the journey.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  6. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

You can always add a bit of detergent/washing liquid to the 33%clean water before letting it slosh about. I had the same trouble on mine but once I did that it started working again. Sill get a full signal occasionally when I know it isn't but as others have said , empty regularily. :thumb:

7. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

I work on the theory that the waste tank fills in a way that is fairly proportional to the rate of emptying of the fresh tank :BigGrin:

Mike.

8. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Waste

We crush a few dishwasher tablets and put them down the sink, added to about half a tank of waste water.

If the probes are really caked, get under the van and you will see an inspection cover. Remove that, get your hands in and clean the probes using a nylon/sponge pan scrubber.

Be careful - the "lid" (inspection cover) will have water in it - so keep well clear when you turn it!

Russell

9. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

Bio liquid every now and then in the full tank left over night keeps it all nice and clean:thumb:

10. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Its already been said, but I can confirm that bio washing liquid (about a capful) in about a quarter / third of a tank of water in the waste tank before you go for a long drive (bendy roads will help enormously :BigGrin:), then drop the waste. You should find it starts to tell the truth.
    Our waste tank never dropped below a quarter earlier this year. Did the motorway wash on the way north and it started to work properly again. :thumb: Magic.

John

11. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Also make sure as little fat/grease goes down the plug as possible, we always wipe excess off before washing

12. keith

keith Funster

It depends on which system yours uses.
    Ours (Autocruise) is a small plastic sensor that just pushes into the plastic tank.

Simply remove and clean very simple job, and you will see how much crud collects on it. You cannot stop it happening, but it's no big problem I feel.

13. maz

maz Funster

My van's control panel had an annoying habit of flashing a bright blue light repeatedly (together with a warning bleep if you were mad enough to leave 'sound' in the on position :RollEyes: ) when the waste tank was allegedly full - even though I always leave the valve open when parked up. This could happen in the middle of the night when it was very annoying. It was not due to crud on the sensors - it did it from new. I looked up in the manual where the sensor wires were connected to the fuse panel and simply pulled them off. Job done! :thumb:

14. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi
    I put a couple of 2 litre bottles of cheap coke down the sinks, it brings all sorts of rubish out after a run :Sad::Sad:. Pete :thumb::thumb: