Greetings good forum members

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Vanman, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Vanman

Vanman Funster

After many years of camping at Motorcycle racing, and ‘holidaying’ in faceless UK Motels, I’m ready to dip into the pension fund and have a bit of fun (before I’m too old)! :)

I’m looking to buy a new or nearly new Hi top van, possibly at the NEC show in October. I’ve thought about hiring or try before you buy but for me and my good lady I reckon the only way to know for sure is to commit to it for at least a couple of years, it should still have a fair value if we have to sell then. The plan would be to try mostly short overnight and long weekend runs and a couple of full weeks holiday the first year (Seaside, Lakes, Snowdonia etc.) then branch out the 2nd year and tour Scotland and maybe a foray across the Tunnel, as the wife won’t ferry.

Originally I’d thought of a 5.5m van as that would just about fit on our drive. All the ones we’ve seen so far are cat swinging room deficient so it looks like it’s going to have to be a 6m one. The choice is mind boggling for a beginner and I have a host of beginner type questions that I’ll probably raise individually if I can’t find answers with the Search button. Questions such as “What are the rules/by laws about on street parking”; “Which vans are recommended / avoided”; “How do I go about getting a good deal”. Any thoughts or links to existing threads gratefully accepted!
    :thanks3:

• Like Like x 1
  2. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

:hiya2: & :welcome3::):)

3. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

:welcome4:

I'd buy second-hand. You're first van won't be the one you really want & initial depreciation is eye-watering on new. At least with SH you can move it on quickly if it doesn't suit you.

• Like Like x 1
  4. big map

big map Funster Life Member

Hi paid up members can download jims motorhome buying guide free. Invest the £15 and it will be the best money you will spend, loads of knowledge on here and great guidance too. All the best with your search.

• Like Like x 1
  5. wigster

wigster Funster

:welcome4:

6. Vanman

Vanman Funster

Thanks for the advice, do you know if that covers Hi-top vans too?

That's interesting. Dealers I've spoken to assure me that they don't depreciate like cars and the 2nd hand prices appear to back them up, you can pay almost as much for a 3 year old one as a new one and have very little warranty. Knowing my luck and lack of technical expertise I'd buy a lemon and have lost all my investment :(

Thank you (y)

Thank you (y)

• Like Like x 1
  7. big map

Hi I just had a quick look and there is a hi top section, but also loads of other great advice. All the best.

8. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    Take a look at Autotrader and Ebay to see what used prices are versus new.

Depreciation and VAT add up to a big chunk of dosh.

A 2/3/4 year old van can be as good as new but at considerably less cost.

9. Vanman

Vanman Funster

Thanks for the advice. I did look pretty thoroughly at 'older' vans and in general it seemed that a new van costing £45k would cost about £40k after 3 years from a dealer or £38k private. The Dealer ones coming with a 3 to 6 month warranty and the private ones sold as seen. I am very risk averse so would not risk £38k (or even £10k) on something sold as seen. The difference between £40k and £45k for something with 3 months warranty versus 3 years does not attract me either. I'd rather pay the extra £5k and have peace of mind. It's not that much, in the great scheme of things, over 3 years.

The picture is further confused as the specification changes every year and often by every buyer making it very difficult to compare like for like. A new van is far more likely to come with a 3 way fridge, air con, and reversing aids as standard than a 3 year old one even if it is the 'same' model. That is only the 'headline' additions, improvements in heating and build are much harder to quantify.

I suppose we're all different, which is a good thing, I just don't feel comfortable with the risk of pre-owned unless it's an ex-demonstrator or similar with full warranty.

10. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

For our first van we chose to buy a cheaper/older model. It gives you the chance to see if its for you and what layout suits. In the meantime you will be able to compare the many vans that our members have. Why are you thinking about an high top van? Are you still fit enough to climb up and down there every night?

11. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Hello and welcome from West Midlands.

Wyn

12. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Hello and welcome to the Fun upload_2016-8-13_11-54-2.png
    Same here. We bought new and have had a great 3 years with our first van.

13. Vanman

Vanman Funster

Thanks for that advice, I am getting a few nudges in that direction. From a 'value for money' perspective it's hard to fault - but there is risk too. At this point in my life I'd rather go with something safe and reliable even if it means paying a little over the odds. Also, if I bought an older one and Mrs Vanman thought it too basic or uncomfortable, that would be the experience over, there'd be no 2nd chance. I need to get this right first time (no pressure)!

The type of van I'm looking at generally has a rear transverse fixed double bed either at wheel arch height, or waist high for increased space below.

14. Viennese

Viennese Funster

Hello and welcome to the Fun. I have a hi-top van, a WildAx Constellation which I like a lot. We have a lively Owners Group too to share experience at a couple of meets a year. You have a WildAx dealer near you, ES Hartley at Ellesmere Port so you can have a look at the 6m models. They also do a very nice shorter one, the PUlsar, but at 5m probably too small for full size people!!!.

And no, I am not on commission!!!

15. scousebird

scousebird Funster

:pink:

16. Vanman

Vanman Funster

That's good to hear thanks, I was beginning to feel in a minority of one (y):)

Thanks (y)

17. Vanman

Vanman Funster

Thank you. (y)

Funnily enough I was at WildAx HQ on Tuesday looking primarily at the Aurora (co-incidentally the same name as MH 55 Fun's Pooch), bit of a spooky start ;) There was mention of a 9 month backlog for new vans though which, if true, would put it out of contention unless I picked up an ex-demo or ex-hire one.

ES Hartley are just around the corner from Jenny Tinmouths Two wheel workshop (where I get my bike serviced) so they were my first dealer visit. Sadly they don't stock and WildAx vans for viewing, mostly Hobby coach builts :(

18. Vanman

Vanman Funster

Thanks. (y) Membership sorted. :)

19. big map

The buyers guide is in the resources tab, in case you haven't found it yet.

20. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Hello and welcome:welcome3: look at NEC it will be mind blowing! We nearly bought a van conversion and loved the Globecar/ possil make .SMC in Newark sell them.
    We didn't get one in the end as hubbie felt it was downsizing one step to far just yet. ( we have a hobby van which is a similar layout to the one you are looking at! )
    Good luck!!