Greetings from Ile d"oleron

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mags52, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

We're in the 4th week of our 6 week tour of France and on the fabulous I'le d'Oleron on one of the ACSI sites here. It's so beautiful. Just a few steps to a wonderful view of the sea and a great site for facilities yet quiet - presumably because it's low season.
    If you've ever fancied visiting the island I would recommend it.
    Free bridge from the mainland and you're here.
    Couldn't be easier.
    :Smile:

2. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

It's on 'The List'-we've done Isle de Re and Isle de Noirmoutier :BigGrin:the day we were going to Oleron it was blowing a gale so we went inland.
    Enjoy rest of your trip.
    Mike.

3. dewaltman

dewaltman

Glad your enjoying for the future which ASCII site are you staying on thanks

4. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Enjoy..we did it 2 years ago and liked it a lot.. Found quite a few free aires as well from memory....:thumb:
    Will be on my list to do again with my grandkids and their pushbikes when they are a bit older....

5. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

One of my favourites !!

There is a very good municipal site at Boyardville ! Lasta year only 12 Euros and right on the beach !!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

6. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

Did The Ill de Oleron around 4 years ago..that was our first trip to France..we did the whole of the island in total..then we found a Dutch run site..Domain d'Oleron I think it was called..fabulous spot..would definately do the island again..there and the Ill de Re our faves of France...plenty of safe cycle routes...

7. sedge

sedge Funster

The trouble with Boyardville, Ken, is it's nowhere near Grand Village plage, is it? - or is there another 'N' beach at B we don't know about?

It's about a mile to walk anyway from anywhere you are likely to be able to park at Petirt Village (height barrier on rd down to beach carpark) - there is a really nice bike track but as you then have to walk along the beach a way to get to 'our' bit - you'd have to try and find something to chain bikes to - and don't think the frites etc van would be too happy if you chained em to that LOL

8. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Pictures??

9. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

We're at Camping le Suroit which is near St Pierres d'Oleron. Really superb beach, pool, facilities etc. and 16E per night with ACSI. Unfortunately we had an accident this morning on our bikes and have spent the afternoon in the hospital at Rochefort getting stitched. :Sad: Not serious but very sore! The French health system is really excellent.
    Pictures to follow after a couple of recovery days.

10. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Ouch. Get well soon.

If you like Oleron, definitely try Ile de Re - very similar in appearance, slightly more 'upmarket', and not quite so oystery. Camping Campeole Les Amis de Plage at Bois Plage en Re is a good starting point - you can choose from free aire, 12 euro a night aire with trimmings, or campsite, all within 50 yards of each other.

Plenty of great cycling.. oops, maybe I shouldn't have said that.