green energy cold calling (1 Viewer)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
You are correct about the NIMBY problem and that appears to apply to nearly everything we plan to do as a nation.

If someone decides. for example, we require a new airport that's perfectly acceptable until it suddenly turns up in your local community and then it suddenly becomes unacceptable.

Most of our major planning decisions are delayed many years by NIMBYism.

When any government decides to implement simpler planning rules everyone is up in arms.

[HI]The Chinese have the best solution, do it and then talk about it.

Oh yes who have progressed greatly in the past 10 years, the Chinese
[/HI]

there are many different views about what is progress. we are however in a democracy

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
In case you didn't know the wind is not a fixed quantity, it is erratic weather, 10% cannot be guaranteed by anyone.....including you :ROFLMAO: and that fairytale figure will not include high pressure (low wind) coldest winter conditions when electricity is needed most.....which is why this country still needs 50 GW+ of base load electricity for when this flawed technology and turbines fail to produce anything at the times of high pressure and most cold therefore coinciding with highest demand in winter.
Which is why we are ending up with banks of diesel generators being secretly installed at power stations and gas fired power station owners are charging the earth (and the electricity consumer) to fill the turbine gap and to run up instantly to fill the erratic power spikes left by the turbines..... so we are not only paying for the turbine owners and energy companies to line their pockets through taxpayers subsidy AND electricity consumers money we are now having to pay extra to all the 'instant on' power producers who have to fill the gaps in turbine electricity production.

this is the worst possible and most expensive and inefficient option to produce power and save co2.

As I said in my post on page 2, we need a diverse range of generation systems including Renewable Technology.

I accept the wind is not always available but where it is available it should be utilised, such as around our coast and on the top of our hills/mountains.

The one thing that is missing is a government led plan for the future,

What about tidal systems, with water ebbing and flowing.

One thing that all generation systems do not do is reduce co2, In some form co2 will be produced either during the manufacter of systems or production of electricty.

Instead we, as a nation, are going to spend billions on producing a rail line, HS2

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
[HI]I have generated 95% of the electricity I have used in my life for over the last 25 years mysel[/HI]f.

The vast majority of this from solar panels.

I am starting to suspect that sustained attacks on the various alternative sources of energy citing differing reasons displayed in a few posts on here might have something to do with connections to the oil industry. :winky:

JJ :Cool:

I do not think you have everything you buy uses electricity in the manufacturing and what about all those floodlights and things at the city:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I know what you meant JJ :thumb:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
What this thread ha shown is that renewable energy production is a very emotive subject with many people you don't like it and many people who support it.

Until the government make a decision on how our energy production is going to undertaken this debate will go on and on.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Perhaps if we collected all the bullsh*t spouted by Estcres on the subject of wind farms, we could produce enough natural methane to power a small Gas fired power station to make up the deficiency when the wind doesn't blow!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
What this thread ha shown is that renewable energy production is a very emotive subject with many people you don't like it and many people who support it.

Until the government make a decision on how our energy production is going to undertaken this debate will go on and on.

for me this is not about supporting the principal of renewable energy. most support what it stands for i certainly do... the problem is the fact that what is available is ineffective and peddled by some as the savior of our world.:Doh:

when it, in its current form is clearly not the case.

the carbon footprint of ; manufacture, transport, erecting, maintaining and removing when out of life is very questionable and thats without considering the true facts about what current systems can effectively generate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Instead we, as a nation, are going to spend billions on producing a rail line, HS2

agree with you there....how much Co2 is that going to produce to construct.....:Eeek:

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
IF?? The Government has the Guts?, to stop??? the subsidies on these horrible blots on the Landscape, PERHAPS!!! our Energy Bills will reduce:)Rofl1:) fat chance!
This climate warming is one BIG con, It's another way for the Government to raise taxes:Angry:
Lets go back shall we?

1950-1970? Oh my God! we are all going to FRY! We are going to glow in the dark:Doh: Nuclear Armageddon!:Doh:
(don't forget the "Domino Theory!)

The 80s? OH NO!!!:cry: HIV, AIDS! fornication will wipe out the Human Race, Keep it zipped Fellas, and Girls? keep 'em crossed!

NOW??? Are you ready for the BIG ONE FOLKS!!!

THE MILLENIUM!!!!! Planes WILL fall from the sky, Hospitals WILL kill thousands when their services fail, THE END IS HERE!!! no electric, no water, in fact!!anything linked to a COMPUTOR!:Doh: WILL FAIL!

Oh my God we are goi':cry:n to die! Quick quick form a commune deep in the welsh mountains

Global Warming is an on going phase in the Worlds Climate that happens just as an as an Ice age does , the fact that various scaremongers, the Vocal Minority! Bleat on and on about it ,gives the Government of the day ample encouragement to gather taxes , FOR A NON EXISTENT HJAPPENING!

It ain't Going to happen Folks:Doh:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
To anyone who thinks wind turbines are an eyesore try living close to a conventional fossil fuel burning power station. Our local station is a small one, just two 500MWatt units but it can burn up to 20,000 tonnes of coal a day! Its also dual fuelled so can run on oil if they run low on coal, The oil they use is thick black goo, so thick that they have to heat it with steam just to get it out of the tankers of the train, this means they also have to heat it to spray it into the furnace, all that preheating uses huge amounts of energy just as pulverising the coal into dust as fine as flour uses huge amounts of energy which is partly why conventional fossil fuelled power stations are so inefficient. We can hear the earth movers at thew local station from over 3 miles away, they run almost round the clock turning the coal heaps over to stop spontaneous combustion.

Ours is a really small station and now only used as a standby but what about stations like Ferrybridge, Didcott and all the other huge stations around the country? Want to see a real eyesore go visit one of them.

To anybody who thinks a "wind farm" is an eyesore I say go have a good look at a fossil fuelled power station and then tell me, honestly, that is better looking than wind turbines! Yes I know the turbines can't generate as much power as the fossil fuelled stations but if we all chip in by reducing our energy consumption then we may, just may be able to continue to live comfortably for a few more hundreds of years.

D.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Perhaps if we collected all the bullsh*t spouted by Estcres on the subject of wind farms, we could produce enough natural methane to power a small Gas fired power station to make up the deficiency when the wind doesn't blow!!

Surely a tad harsh?

Nobody is suggesting that wind farms are the complete solution.

And anyway... methane made from bullshit is highly unstable and makes storing it very dangerous. Nasty stuff... ask the budgies the miners used to take underground.

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
welll luckily many MH's will be prepared with a gennie when the 'controlled disconnections' happen, who will be hugging an feffing turbine then ????

"In its strongest ever warning, Ofgem said there may have to be “controlled disconnections” of homes and businesses in the middle of this decade because Britain has not done enough to make sure it has enough electricity.

The regulator's new analysis reveals the risk of power-cuts is almost 50 per cent in 2015 if a very cold winter causes high demand for electricity.

It predicts Britain will face power shortages because old coal and oil plants are being forced to shut down under the European Union’s environmental regulations. This will partly be replaced by wind farms, but they are less reliable and can only generate electricity in the right weather conditions.

Ofgem believes the lack of spare power generation “could lead to higher bills”, which are already at record high of £1,300 per year.

The report will be a blow to Ed Davey, the new Energy Secretary as sweeping reforms in the new Energy Bill will come late to avoid the squeeze in 2015 – the year of the next election. "
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/en...ish-households-face-blackout-warns-Ofgem.html

'The more a country depends on such sources of energy, the more there will arise – as Germany is discovering – two massive technical problems. One is that it becomes incredibly difficult to maintain a consistent supply of power to the grid, when that wildly fluctuating renewable output has to be balanced by input from conventional power stations. The other is that, to keep that back-up constantly available can require fossil-fuel power plants to run much of the time very inefficiently and expensively (incidentally chucking out so much more “carbon” than normal that it negates any supposed CO2 savings from the wind). '

"In brief, Germany’s renewables drive is turning out to be a disaster. This should particularly concern us because our Government, with its plan to build 30,000 turbines, to meet our EU target of sourcing 32 per cent of our electricity from renewables by 2020, is hell-bent on the same path. But our own “big six” electricity companies, including RWE and E.on, are told that they cannot build any replacements for our coal-fired stations (many soon to be closed under EU rules) which last week were supplying more than 40 per cent of our power – unless they are fitted with that make-believe CCS. A similar threat hangs over plans to build new gas-fired plants of the type that will be essential to provide up to 100 per cent back-up for those useless windmills. "
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/...ower-chaos-should-be-a-warning-to-the-UK.html

and there is no guarantee it wont happen earlier as we have much reduced security of fuel now we import so much coal & gas from eastern europe. If there is a bad winter (which some forcasters are predicting again!) and their domestic market is short who are they going to favour ???

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I think that wind turbines are very majestic and are doing a wonderful job in reducing our use of carbon fuels.

Their manufacture brings employment, their installation brings employment, their maintanance brings employment.

Can't see a downside to them:thumb::thumb:

We have a proposed development near us.:cry:

Maybe if you like them so much ,you could lobby your local council and have some out side your house:thumb:

Then when you throw a switch you could say to your tree hugger friends , "look how green I am"---shame your house is worth a half what it was now:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
We have a proposed development near us.:cry:

Maybe if you like them so much ,you could lobby your local council and have some out side your house:thumb:

Then when you throw a switch you could say to your tree hugger friends , "look how green I am"---shame your house is worth a half what it was now:ROFLMAO:

Secret wind farm report into house price blight

Chris Heaton-Harris, the Conservative MP for Daventry, said: “Wind farms definitely affect house prices and it is highly likely that this report will come to that conclusion.
“I would expect there to be billions of pounds of planning blight because of wind turbines close to properties.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/en...wind-farm-report-into-house-price-blight.html

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back