green diesel (1 Viewer)

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
after much thought ~I purchased a motorhome with a TDi engine rather than a common rail jtd
I admit that the main reason was that , living in the back of beyond , there is no one who would be capable of dealing with the common rail engine for 100 miles , the local fiat car agency went white at the thought of it , and they are 40 miles away in any case

anyway , one fringe benefit is that I could countenance using some reclaimed chip oil ...I was recently near chelmsford having my axle weights checked when fully laden , and on the same industrial estate came across someone selling the aforesaid diesel

so , in for a penny , in for -20p a litre so I put in enough to give me a 50% mixture , toe in the water so to speak
and , so far so good ....no noticeable difference in performance , starts perfectly as before
consumption ? no idea ....as I am currently grinding around central london in 1st and 2nd it would be a bit meaningless as I don't normally do this

anyone else been down this route ?

oh , and axle weights ? thread on tyre pressures to follow when I get round to sorting it out !::bigsmile:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Doh: I tried some in my 1989 Kontiki last year. It started smoking like crazy. In fact it's neve stopped since even though I have had several tank fulls of fuel through it. :Blush:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Just be aware that Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs may just be interested in you using ANY type of fuel in a road vehicle that does not have duty paid.

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Just be aware that Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs may just be interested in you using ANY type of fuel in a road vehicle that does not have duty paid.

Steve

:RollEyes: To buy from a legal supply isn't a problem. You can also produce for own use 2,500 litres. No tax to pay but you must register. :winky:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
All I would say is be very cautious. Read the official HMRC advice here. Just like the police can seize a vehicle being used without insurance, HMRC can remove your vehicle if found using fuel with no duty paid on UK roads.

Steve

Andy - V8 Diesel

Free Member
Sep 3, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
MH
30ft 5th wheel
Boought my own machine for making 100% bio-diesel best thing i ever did collect old oil put in machine mix and 24hrs i have 100litres ready on with my next batch all good clean and does not damage your engine if made properly:thumb:

cheap as chips:Eeek::thumb:

OP
OP
L

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
well , actually I was more interested in the technical / performance aspect rather than legal

the guy I bought from has set up a 2 pump service station , charges VAT etc

in any case how on earth could the customs and excise ascertain whether or not the biofuel in my tank has had the required taxes paid or not! it's not like red diesel , illegal to use it !!!!

and am I correct that biodiesel is being sold in orthodox filling ststions in uk ....how the devil would customs and excise know WHERE I bought it ? this seems to me to be scaremongering

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
Click on your area on map even Morrison are selling it apparently [only a few ]but would check first :thumb:
Link Removed

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
There appears to be an ongoing confusion between Bio Diesel and diesel substitute in the form of filtered old chip pan veggie oil.
The 2 are not interchangeable in that modern engines can use proper Bio Diesel (which may just be well filtered chip pan oil with additives to give the same characteristics as diesel in terms of viscosity ) but they will not survive even new off the shelf Asda veggie oil.

My old Merc engine is happy on a 50/50 diesel/new veggie oil mix in summer and smells loverly but I suspect it might even run on well powdered coal dust. Regular oil changes reduce the documented problem of sump oil turning to jelly after prolonged usage.
It is amazing how Asda veggie oil prices tend to fluctuate in line with their diesel pump price!

I agree that there is a lot of scaremongering re the legalities. Unlike re filling Calor cylinders veggie oil will only kill engines, not bystanders, so in the scale of things it's not such a crime (not that Revenue and Customs may see it that way).

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
The OP was discussing the practicalities of using reclaimed "chip oil" as a road fuel, and I think we can be pretty confident that even if that forms some constituent part of Morrisons supply, it will be a highly refined and relatively insignificant proportion.

At the risk of being accused once again of being a "scaremongerer", I reiterate caution in the use of Waste Vegetable Oil (WVO) or Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as road fuel in the UK.

Have a read of the Wikipedia article here. In particular, the legal implications on the use of the oils as a road fuel in the UK. Although it is slightly ambiguous (as Wikipedia can be), the paragraph commences stating that HMRC are charging duty on oils at the full 47 pence per litre that diesel is charged.

Notwithstanding the risks to your engine, take this step at your own peril.

Steve

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Have a read of the Wikipedia article here. In particular, the legal implications on the use of the oils as a road fuel in the UK. Although it is slightly ambiguous (as Wikipedia can be), the paragraph commences stating that HMRC are charging duty on oils at the full 47 pence per litre that diesel is charged.
OR
From Revenue and customs web site:-

4.2.1 Exempt producers/users

If you have produced or used less than 2,500 litres of:

• any biofuel, or
  • any other fuel substitute or additive
within the last 12 months, and/or expect to produce or use less than 2,500 litres in the next 12 months, you are an exempt producer and do not need to register with HMRC and account for duty. However, there are simple record-keeping requirements, which are described in paragraph 4.9.1.
Production includes the manufacture or processing of road fuel, and the setting aside of any product that has not been charged with duty, with the intention of using it as road fuel.
Take this step at your own PERIL???

noun 1. exposure to injury, loss, or destruction; grave risk; jeopardy; danger: They faced the peril of falling rocks. 2. something that causes or may cause injury, loss, or destruction. –verb (used with object) 3. to expose to danger; imperil; risk.

Not scaremongering?

What IS that smell?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back