GREECE

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jenny and mitch, Dec 3, 2014.

1. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Going to Greece April next year, so planning now to cheer ourselves up !! P***ing down at the moment !! Thinking of catching ferry from Ancona or Brindisi in Italy, to Igmounitsa at the top end of Greece and staying in Greece for 3/4 months.. It seems the "camp on board in your van" option is the best so far.. You plug into the ship for EHU.. Anyone done it ?? Also not sure if its best to drive the extra 4hrs 50 mins from Ancona down to Brindisi to save crossing time, or not.. Not able to check ferry costs yet, as time table only goes to March.
    Any info or experiences will be gratefully received... Mitch and Jenny.. (y)

• Like Like x 2
  2. chaser

chaser Funster

This is on our agenda for sometime so interested as well, someone told us going the other side of the sea from Italy was best, not sure but think it's Croatia then you don't need ferry, is this an option?

• Like Like x 1
  3. rikfos

rikfos Funster

Have been going to greece for the past 4 years. We usually go from Ancona to Patras or Igounemitsa. Go to Venice first and camp at Camping Miramare, then a leisurely drive down to Ancona. If you go to Igounemitsa, travel to Meteore and then down to Delphi. We go to Kefallonia and travel back direct to Brindisi and across to Pompeii and then on to Rome. This year we are travelling via Prague and Budapest through Serbia and down to Greece.
    My friend travelled through Croatia and Montenegro, Albania and then Greece. He made a mistake by taking the so called coast road (not recommended ). We stop at motorway service areas on the way down to Ancona- usually the last one before Ancona is ideal to stop the night.

• Like Like x 3
  4. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Hi Chaser. We could do that I suppose , but we were going to do Croatia as separate trip.
    In a previous life I took my then family right down as you say via Croatia, and got to Naphlion right at the very bottom of Greece. But trying to go direct this time. Ta..

Hi Rikfos. Looks like a good trip you have planned. When do you start ??
    The last time I was in Croatia was 1975 when Tito was the gaffer, then did the Greek trip a year later. Was working then (Forces) so only had 3 weeks each time.. This will be the first time I have taken Jenny..
    I do fancy a polish and Slovak trip, but will do that separately too..
    Enjoy. Mitch.

• Like Like x 1
  5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Loads on here is the past, particularly by Don Madge.

• Like Like x 1
  6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. That's delicious food for thought.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rikfos

rikfos Funster

We leave 24th April to Dunkerque and back, maybe on the 29th September.
    Camping on board on Minoan Lines to Greece. Back on European Seaways from Kefallonia to Brindisi. If you go to Greece it will be HOT!!, in the sun it can get up to plus 40 degrees:)

• Like Like x 2
  8. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Fantastic.... Thanks Rik..

9. joncris

joncris Read Only Funster

Be careful where you park in Croatia cos if the police consider that they have to move it and do they may also then claim they don't have it. I know this because a hire firm recently had two vans pinched. The locals said the police had moved them but when asked the police claimed not to have them. That was a couple of months ago and they've still not been found

• Like Like x 3
  10. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Ta Joncris. I think it will be the ferry..

Thanks for the "heads-up" Rikfos. Delphi looks stunning !!! But I think we will hug the coast and come up from Itea to there...
    Cos we are "beach bums" !!!:D

Thanks Brian.. I will look up Don madges info...

11. rikfos

rikfos Funster

Don't forget Olympia and Epidaurus . Worth visiting Athens as well. Very good campsite in Athens with a bus stop outside the site.
    As you say come down from Igounemitsa hugging the coast, many freestops on the way then over to Itea and up to Delphi. Look up Magbaz- excellent site with loads of info.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dotsontour

dotsontour Funster

Yes camping on board is great ,you have the run of the boat and your own key for the camping deck so it's only fellow campers on your deck. As mentioned by Hilldweller, Don Madge is the man we followed his advise on our trip to Turkey first class info . Magbaz travel has lots of info on Greece and you will find Don Madge there as well . Enjoy
    Dave & June. dotsontour

• Like Like x 1
  13. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Many thanks Rik and Dotsontour. Getting excited now !!!
    Rough cost of ferry anyone ???

14. mpdcymru

mpdcymru Funster

Agree with Rifcos about the coast road - absolutely fantastic views but it can get hairy in places (and hard on the brakes)

• Like Like x 1
  15. The Dude

The Dude Funster

We travel overland to Crete every year (twice this year - we're in Crete as I write) and prefer to travel with Superfast/Anek using 'Camping on Board' which means you sleep in your MH, have the use of toilets and showers by the car deck and can use the bars, shops and restaurants on board. I was under the impression that Camping on Board with Minoan was actually Camping All Inclusive, ie you stay in a cabin but have access to your MH. I think this is because Minoan don't have open decks. We've done both the Ancona and Bari crossing but prefer the Ancona one as it's a long boring drive through Italy if you stay on the main drag and by the time you get to Ancona you're usually ready for a rest. We always disembark at Igoumenitsa, mainly because it's better to get the dogs off the ferry as soon as possible, but it's a lovely drive on that side of Greece. Can highly recommend Camping Delphi. Earlier this year we travelled via Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro and Albania - fantasic 30 day trip and no problems whatsoever apart from some Albanian roads which can be a bit dodgy. If you have any specific questions please ask.

• Like Like x 3
  16. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Many thanks Mpdcymru..
    Not too keen on massive drops !!!

Thanks Dude..
    Very a informative post mate, we won't use Minoan then, as we want to" plug-in" out on deck and sleep in the van...Rough' cost Ancona to Igoumenitsa ??
    Enjoy your time on Crete, I have good memories from a 1990s visit...
    Mitch. (y)

17. rikfos

rikfos Funster

Depending on the month about £500 - £600 return. Check that your booking is for camping on board. An Austrian friend of mine books with his own travel agent. I have always booked online, usually about February with either Minoan Lines or Superfast. The fare to Igounemitsa and Patras is exactly the same.

18. rikfos

rikfos Funster

Minoan Lines do camping on board and all inclusive- camping on board I find is the best, but can be noisy, with the noise of the engines.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

20. Albi1

Albi1 Funster

Thanks Dude who did you use to book the ANEK camping on board trip.