Great news from Fylde

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jezport, Jan 31, 2012.

1. jezport

jezport Funster

Andy Cain, an employee of Fylde, replied to Overnight provision for Motorhomes in Fylde, praise about Fylde.
    Dear Forum Members,

We have just issued the press relase below they you may be interested in reading

Press release starts

Fylde welcomes motorhomers

Motorhome owners will be welcome in St Annes when Fylde Council opens one of its seafront car-parks to overnight visitors this spring.

The prosperous motorhomers will be able to stay for up to three nights in a pilot scheme that will last to the end of summer.

The car-park chosen is the one at the rear of St Annes swimming pool – selected as it offers good sea views while not being visible from the road.

Councillor Albert Pounder, Fylde Council cabinet member for Customer and Operational Services, said: “Motorhomers are good, responsible citizens and tend to be prosperous.

“Many come at the moment but they have to go home at the end of the day. From this spring they will be able to make a weekend of their visit and, we expect, they will spend money in shops, cafes and restaurants.

“They tend to be people who have good disposable incomes – exactly the sort of people we need for the tourism business in the area.

“In France, many towns have ‘aires’. They are places where motorhomers can stay overnight and they typically have electricity hook-ups and running water. You can drive from one end of France to the other by staying in aires.

“Fylde will be one of the first places in England to have one of these continental-style areas and we know there is already interest within the motorhoming community.”

The swimming pool car-park will not have electricity and water hook-ups. If this summer’s trial is a success, such facilities will be considered for future years – as will possible use of other car-parks. Caravans will continue to be banned.

Behaviour will be monitored while charges for overnight stays are yet to be decided. A three-night limit will be imposed to protect local hoteliers.

Councillor Pounder added: “There has been a problem in recent years with motorhomes parking on the roads which is suitable for neither residents nor motorhomers.

“We hope this trial period will make a positive out of a negative – we can get them off the road while using one of our existing assets at no cost to the Council Tax-payer.

“Motorhoming has grown very fast in recent years and we want Fylde to be at its forefront.”

Press release ends

http://getsatisfaction.com/fylde/to...l&utm_source=reply_notification#reply_7911318

• Like Like x 7
  2. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Beat me to it ! :thumb:

The news must be spreading really fast as their server has slowed almost to a stop !!

Been trying for ten minutes to send this:

Absolutely brilliant news.. It is both forward thinking and hopefully will start a trend once other places see how your local business's will prosper from our visits ..

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Curious !!

Just looked at this ! Great comments....All from a year ago, WHY ???, Including one from Jim and a few others on the forum ! So, what's it all about Alfie ? Is it a new post or one that has been resurrected ?.....Also, who has actually made use of their services ? I, for one will certainly call in on my way up to Caledonia ! Thoughts and comments please !:thumb:

4. Popeye

Popeye Funster

That really is good news but "prosperous", they obviously haven't met myself or Yosser, though reading on it does say that behaviour will be monitored so maybe they have met Yosser..........Griff:Laughing:

• Like Like x 2
  5. jezport

jezport Funster

Bare in mind their press release is mainly for local residents and Traders, so I think it is worded well.

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Great !

If you are a retired solicitor. But what about the rest of us ?

7. Popeye

Popeye Funster

So do I jezport, twas my attempt at humour. Really is sound news I hope the local traders see it as such......:thumb:....Griff

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

looks like an update..

original thread http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/uk-touring/28895-five-motorhome-aires-planned-flyde-council.html

9. olley

olley Funster

Andy Cain an employee of the council announced this an hour ago. It says that at the bottom of the link.

Ian

10. Stephen & Jeannie

OK !.....So what has happened in the last year ????? That's when all the posts are from !
    Have people been using the facility ? And why repost it after a year???

11. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

This is a local authority we're talking about, things don't happen overnight! The idea was first mooted a year ago and has taken this long to come to fruition. The comments have been coming in during that time from interested motorhomers, including many from this forum, and some not so keen locals.

There is a similar idea from Ilfracombe that I get the occasional email on. :thumb:

12. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

Prosperous????? If only. But welcome anyway. This must be a first step in the right direction. :BigGrin:

Ivy

13. olley

olley Funster

If people use it, and if they don't dump poo onto the beach. :Eek!:

Ian

• Like Like x 2
  14. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

And now I have this image in my head of local traders rubbing their hands in glee as they hear the sound of an approaching motorhome...flipping the price tags over to show the hiked-up 'prosperous' values...and then I turn up in my campervan :Laughing:

I'm sure there's a script for a sitcom in there somewhere.

Fair enough....unfortunately to some of the public a motorhome owner is always going to be a prosperous 'banker' turning up in his/her self-contained gin palace and not using any of the local facilities. And in some cases they might be right. :Sad:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Stephen & Jeannie

Peggy Mount comes to mind !!!:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

16. spannermanwigan

spannermanwigan Read Only Funster

Well done St Annes, if any of you like Fish and Chips Try here,

http://www.thinkseniors.com/

I highly recommend them have used them for many years on our annual visit to the illuminations at nearby Blackpool.

Regards Steve:thumb:
    i

17. Stephen & Jeannie

bump !!

18. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

out of interest in Kent we already have one

In Kent we already have one in Canterbury .. it is run by the city and if you check on there web site you will find it on the New Dover Road.. it is for motorhomes only and has a park and ride to the town included and over night toilets and a good pub across the road.. and there is no height barrier as the council site says.. about 2 years old now and ideal if you are heading to Dover.

Bob

• Like Like x 1
  19. novawight

novawight Read Only Funster

[/HI]

what with no Knighthood:Smile:

20. BobProperty

BobProperty Read Only Funster

That's me out then.
    Depending on which bit you consider the "front", the "rear" could be the beach! :BigGrin:

I'm going to Google this as I can't remember how big that car park is. I'll update or repost later.
    How very St Annes - can't have people legally parking vehicles on roads, that will upset the residents. I can tell you from personal experience going back 25 years that parking has long been a problem in St Annes, especially with residents not liking outsiders parking cars on roads outside their houses. I personally had to call the police on one occasion, finding out later that the person I was complaining about had a track record of parking as near to his house as possible, irrespective of others and some double yellow lines. He had received numerous parking fines over the years because of his mistaken belief in his right to park outside his home. I must point out this is on the inland side of town. Around the town and the coast it is predominantly commercial and tourist orientated so you don't get that problem there.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012