Great Idea For Draining Dishes (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The kitchen area of our Motorhome has two problems;
A small round sink, with no draining board
Other draining boards we tried were square, and took up loads of space, and didn't keep plates upright

The Dish Garden from Lakeland, solved both of these problems.
Its small enough to fit into our round sink, when travelling, and it takes up very little worktop space when being used.

It has a soft rubber emptying spout that can hand over the sink, or it can be folded up, keeping any water inside the Dish Garden

Its 'fingers' keep plates and crockery upright, and there are also two handy cutlery holders

Available from Lakeland (see link below), it looks as good as it works!

23411_1

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/23411/Dish-Garden

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
The kitchen area of our Motorhome has two problems;
A small round sink, with no draining board
Other draining boards we tried were square, and took up loads of space, and didn't keep plates upright

The Dish Garden from Lakeland, solved both of these problems.
Its small enough to fit into our round sink, when travelling, and it takes up very little worktop space when being used.

It has a soft rubber emptying spout that can hand over the sink, or it can be folded up, keeping any water inside the Dish Garden

Its 'fingers' keep plates and crockery upright, and there are also two handy cutlery holders

Available from Lakeland (see link below), it looks as good as it works!

23411_1

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/23411/Dish-Garden
I saw that in your holiday photos and loved it thanks for details! Now got to persuade Rob that we definitely need one!(y):LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
You should try the 'trick' that Mrs C uses
Buy whatever you want, then when when Rob says "is this new?"
Simply reply, "this old thing??? had it for ages"
Already use that ! Even when it is an old thing from the wardrobe, worn many times he says " is that new" that's how observant he is! Sometimes I say " my sister gave it me as an early birthday prezzie";)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Looks like it would make a fun alternative to a whoopee cushion. :)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Looks like it would make a fun alternative to a whoopee cushion. :)
Our 6 year old grandson got a whoopee cushion for Christmas - he hasn't stopped laughing since. Best value present he ever got

Reactions: DBK
Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Brought one on Amazon on say so of Robert having said was ideal for motorhome - it arrived today - it's huge - will never fit in the hymer sink
Guess will have to send it back, mind you looks good - if you have a large sink would be perfect.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Brought one on Amazon on say so of Robert having said was ideal for motorhome - it arrived today - it's huge - will never fit in the hymer sink
Guess will have to send it back, mind you looks good - if you have a large sink would be perfect.
Sorry it doesn't fit your sink
Did you measure it before ordering?
The product description on Lakeland states 34cm (13 in) diameter - is this correct?
Fits our Carthago sink perfectly

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We had a problem draining our plates when stood on edge....they tended to fold in half.

Saying that, paper can never be fully waterproof so what did we expect.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Can you fit a dinner plate in ? ;)

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
This is best we've come up with. Light, flexible and stores away easily with no rattles.
£12.99 from Amazon, maybe cheaper elsewhere.

Attachments

• Joseph-Joseph-Flume-Folding-Draining-Mat-Green-19805_large.jpg
    Joseph-Joseph-Flume-Folding-Draining-Mat-Green-19805_large.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 173

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Will any of these gizmos take a large frying pan that is needed for a full English ? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Having a pvc we are limited for space and the adhesive hooks that attached the drainer to the glass sink lid came unstuck, so I put a thick tea towel on top of cooker glas top and allow dishes and pans to drain on to it. Dry up and put away, hang damp towel over oven handle to dry until next wanted. This means a tea towel has two uses, an important factor when space is a premium.
I was advised early in my mhing to seriously consider how much I needed an item if it did not have more than a single use.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
If I am not careful get plates stuck in sink and have to use a little sucker to pull them out! (Not my husband!)
We tried the small simple human drainer ..... a similar concepto_O (again not husband) but I prefer the drainer space and a flat pebble / silicone mat.

image.png

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
This is best we've come up with. Light, flexible and stores away easily with no rattles.
£12.99 from Amazon, maybe cheaper elsewhere.
We have two of these thought they were for hot pots...well ours are now and work fine

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We use a tray for draining. Fits into sink cover holder rack thingy while we are on the move and sits nicely between sink and hob when we are pitched. Multi use item, £ shop bargain! (y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We use either the hob (it has a drain plug) or now more often than not a 'drain pad' for want of a better name. It's a very thick cloth pad that absorbs the water. We have two & alternate them. They hang on a sucker hook in the shower when not in use.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We use either the hob (it has a drain plug) or now more often than not a 'drain pad' for want of a better name. It's a very thick cloth pad that absorbs the water. We have two & alternate them. They hang on a sucker hook in the shower when not in use.
We use these too, stored in transit under hob lid to prevent rattles, got a new one at £ shop yesterday as on is well past it's best, ok for the floor and wet feet though.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We had the same problem with draining space. Our solution is an IKEA tray which sits on top of an open drawer below the cooker. It stays there all the time with the drawer contents underneath. We also use an absorbent mat on the tray.
image.jpeg

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I put a couple of bits of kitchen roll n the hob lid (hob has a drain plug if any water gets through). Put the pots on as I'm washing, then dry with tea towel and put away. Then use the damp kitchen roll pieces to wipe all the side up and bin it. Job jobbed.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
image.jpg
Same as @tonyidle: foam padded drying mats - I think JML do them but I get mine from B&M bargains for under £2. They go through the washing machine whenever I get back from a trip and also act as a rattle preventer whilst travelling.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
After seeing the OP post mum went out and bought one. She really likes it. For me its too tall for our little sink and the sink boards no longer fit when travelling, but as I very rarely do the dishes then im happy if mum is :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back