great holiday in tunisia motorhome may have to go (1 Viewer)

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
had a great time in tunisia great fun great hotel no driving cheap as chips all inclusive can't beat it
for what i pay out on my motorhome every year repair bills insurance storage costs mot vehicle service habitation service tax motorhome fun subscriptions etc i can afford many more as for weekend trips cheap hotels will surfice

so if i sell my motorhome which is looking very likely at the moment i can pay off mortgage and have many more holidays with the money i pay out before i even pay for the holiday and go further afield

had good times in the motorhome but have done germany holland france spain italy austria england luxumberg many a time so its looking like it will be bye bye very soon
went to malta for my 50th last year and tunisia for our 25th wedding anniversary last week and they were both great

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sounds good to me.:thumb:

I personally hate all inclusive hotels but it's a good way to control costs.

It does make sense paying the mortgage off.

The sooner I pay mine off the sooner I retire:thumb:

OP
OP
paulus the woodgnome

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
thanks the all inclusive was great value and i agree all the money saved from paying off my mortgage will go towards holidays and retireing earlier rather than bills bills and more bills

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Motorhoming is a way of life, a social circle made up of old and new friends met at meets and rallies, through postys on forums etc. Do you really get that from a package deal? If you neither want nor need any of those then I guess the decision to sell may well be the right one. You can always come back to it in the furture I guess. At 51 you are far from retirement so not getting the best from the life anyway.
Good luck to you whatever you decide on.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Reading your reply`s sounds if you are trying to convince yourself that`s what you want to do..:winky:::bigsmile:

Good luck what ever road you go down.. :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
May be the right thing for you now. Paying off mortgage may enable yuo to retire and then you can gain value from motorhoming. A few weeks in hotel may be ok but could you afford to do itt for 6 months of the year or more. For myself a week at home is enough at a time.
We are back from France next Monday,various apppointments, cut the grass,then off again on Thursday. :Smile:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Funny three years ago after selling our holiday homes I decided to go back to Rving rather than the package tour bit.......now I must admit part of that decision was that I can get back to work quickly if need be.......but I have enjoyed the last three years more than I thought I would......I guess what I am trying to say is life and choices change......so go for it and enjoy you can always buy another motorhome later.....it's much better to do it than say if only.

All the best Rick

OP
OP
paulus the woodgnome

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
plan is to pay off mortgage go on cheaper holidays because my daughter will finish uni next may so no mortgage and no uni subbing will save me loads of money and then in about 10 years of saving lots retire at 60 .should have saved enough money by then to buy a new motorhome if i want to because holiday insurance to go on package holidays will cost me more then the holiday itself .don't need to convince myself being logical thats what you do when you get to 50 plan your next 50 years and when you have reached that one plan the next 50 and the next and the next::bigsmile:

OP
OP
paulus the woodgnome

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
Motorhoming is a way of life, a social circle made up of old and new friends met at meets and rallies, through postys on forums etc. Do you really get that from a package deal? If you neither want nor need any of those then I guess the decision to sell may well be the right one. You can always come back to it in the furture I guess. At 51 you are far from retirement so not getting the best from the life anyway.
Good luck to you whatever you decide on.

looking at your avatar it looks like you went to the sahara on a camel as well as us last week

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

I think circumstances change, you have had a great time with your motorhome now you feel like a change nothing wrong with that.

When our daughters stopped wanting to come on holidays with us (quite a few years ago) we sold our motorhome, did the all exclusive holidays and long haul flights Australia etc,

Then as we got to thinking about retirement thought we would give the motorhome a try again, we have loved every minute of it, but think it has been probably more enjoyable for having had a change.

Good Luck with whatever route you take

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
tunisia is a great place . was there on a package tour when uk and america went into irac .got flown home early .
later went there in a camper .again no probs .except the cold . in winter it can get fairly chilly . but its a great m,home country . if it was warmer it would be excellant .no surf but great snorkelling diving places and had no trouble free camping all over the place .

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
a class I think
Exp
10 months
Reload this Page great holiday in tunisia motorhome may have to go

Where did you go in Tunisia as we are going there in November.
Mike

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
tunisia is a great place . was there on a package tour when uk and america went into irac .got flown home early .
later went there in a camper .again no probs .except the cold . in winter it can get fairly chilly . but its a great m,home country . if it was warmer it would be excellant .no surf but great snorkelling diving places and had no trouble free camping all over the place .

Agree with all of that, but in southern Tunisia our exterior thermometer went to 49o C and stopped there as that was the top of the scale, that was late October.

Away from the coast the place is spectacular and fully agree that camping wild or otherwise is great in particular near to the Algerian border.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi on our package tour we went to sousse but spent quite a bit of tiome in port el kantaoui . it was being built as we were there. visited el jem and did all the tourist trips ,mat marta etc .
next time we did it asll again and more . at the time we tried to get into libya but the border was closed the first time we tried . later we tried again and hired a guide that allowed us in and through to egypt . coming back was no probs . never asked for a guide and we never offered to pay for one . libya was a fantastic friendly country . shame its all gone caput . but keep fingers crossed . it may get better .
tunisia is very cold at night . unlike morocco that stays warmish . but jan /feb tunisia can get very cold in the night . i would go again but only as way to egypt .we took a ferry from sette in france . you can get there from italy scicily but again in winter they are frozen as well . really for warmth morocco is easy . egypt is great particularly in the sinai provence.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
nice there we went there on the way north from sousse on the way to tunis on the train . .
i,m sure you will be offered bus trips etc do them . tunisia isnt actually ther best way to visit arabic countries they are a bit hard there ,pestering etc . but do that . and calm down . do other arabic countries and its easy after tunisia . .i prefer arabic countries . friendly helpfull .nothing liker what you imagine by seeing the news . iran afghanistan are easy as well . in fact iran is so nice i have never met anyone that as visited it that didnt want to extend their visa . think france and spasin you have more chance of being robbed than an arabic country .
yes get the mortgage payed off . i got rid of mine at 42 . best thing i ever did . the weight off the shoulders and the need for cash soon disapears . its not what you earn but what you spend that sorts the way forward .

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I think there are two types of people who have been to Tunisia - those who want to go again and those who would never go again, We are in the second camp but its horses for courses.............

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Other way around for me--
Done years of being a lemming at airports, ending up in some hot ,expensive hole somewhere.
Around every corner having to pay "tourist" prices for a basic item.
I now get to see more of Britain and France than i ever did from just flying over it.
Then-- horses for courses---good luck:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I think it depends on what you prefer rather than cost, we have had our MH for 4 years now. The reason we bought it wasn't to save money on holidays it was to have better quality holidays. If we had stayed with the package style holiday we would never have seen some of the place and never met some of the people that we now call close friends.

We do still do a hotel holiday once a year last April when sitting on a beach at a Sandals resort in Jamaica i said to Lorraine wouldn't it be great if we could park the MH here:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, the resort was great but after 7 days i was bored and wanted to move on which is easy in MH. We are also off to Florida in 3 weeks time and would rather take the mh :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

As our daughter gets older now 15 we have found it harder to get away as she has a wee part time job and a social life her mum and me can only dream of, we still manage to get away for the odd night here and there, this Sat we are meeting some friends off here for 1 night on a cl next to a pub if i wanted to do that in a hotel it would be min £100 plus food where i can get 5 nights for that.

What ever you decide to do good luck and all the best in the future.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back