Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
beverley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
dethleffs eighty a class
Exp
2 years
We have been planning this for some time now as part of our retirement and it is finally coming together for next year. From February to September we will ship our motorhome to Baltimore and spend 8 months touring North America.
Once you start planning, you realise just what a big country this is and how vast some of the distances are and we have a lot to tick off on our bucket list. Anyway, the map below shows what we believe we can achieve in 34 weeks (and around 14,000 miles). I have a week by week plan including mileage distances and main sights to visit.

Starting October when I get back from my 500 mile walk for charity (just giving page here!!!), I will keep this thread and my blog updated with progress and information which I hope will be of interest to others who may plan to do something similar.
View attachment 119288
Wow, so envious, sure you will have a few stories to tell when you get back.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Phew! Picked it up and all in one piece. Got gas and diesel and now heading for the site.

Made much more complicated because they don't let you collect your vehicle yourself. A third party has to go and get it. He couldn't work the alarm etc. Kept setting it off.

Very early start this morning so going to take our time tidying and prepping over the next two days.
If you're looking for something to do while in Baltimore, see this post:
Helen the Hymer

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Or if you watched "The Wire", it's time to thank your lucky stars and get the hell out of Baltimore while you still can:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Just taken a look at your blog and if you want a few opinions and pointers on Oklahoma, OKC, Enid and the Panhandle just let us know. OK is now one of our favourite states and a hidden US secret.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Just taken a look at your blog and if you want a few opinions and pointers on Oklahoma, OKC, Enid and the Panhandle just let us know. OK is now one of our favourite states and a hidden US secret.
Thanks, all pointers gratefully accepted. The plan is an outline only a,d subject to change at all times

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

You might be advised to avoid OK at this time of year, the Tornadoes are more active during March to May. They just had a devastating one in the North Texas Panhandle. We got Very close to one North of Lubbock in 2012. And where advised to head South.!

P.s. My Grandson was in Baltimore last week, on a Cable laying ship. They left for Willemstadt (Curaco) Saturday, He gets paid off and flown Home Thursday. And is back in South shields Marine College for the first part of His Second Engineer Exam in a few weeks.

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
You might be advised to avoid OK at this time of year, the Tornadoes are more active during March to May. They just had a devastating one in the North Texas Panhandle. We got Very close to one North of Lubbock in 2012. And where advised to head South.!

Double post. Finger error

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Oklahoma. We are interested in US Western culture and were curious to visit a State that everyone said no one goes there to visit which made us more determined, even when we arrived the locals asked why had come all that way!

We planned a little and got lucky too, we wanted to be in Oklahoma City (OKC) for the last weekend of the State Fair, we had heard State Fairs are legendary with what you could expect, regular big country type fair and the weird and wonderful too (Tornado shelters, mashed potato on a stick and Swifty the swimming pig complete with snorkel and goggles for a few examples). The OK fair is in September but you may run up against one in another State on your travels it will be worth while I promise.
It was also a week before a major anual Star Party in Oklahoma's Panhandle on the Black Mesa. We managed through the overwhelming generosity of Oklahomans to get an invite even though this world famous (in the star gazing world) week long event was full. By going to that we also learnt about a recently discovered totally unfenced and open set of large Dinosaur footprints down a mainly dry river bed, they are staggeringly pristine. Just to bend down and touch something that dramatic and old is amazing.
This led to an invitation by the manager of the local museum in Boise City to visit, it was full of historic local and the unusual including a 2 headed calf, there happens to be a full sized metal dinosaur outside too. This remote museum has a lot of detail of the 1930's Dust Bowl and Depression, some of the exhibits and photos are startling.
We were recommended to a café in Boise City, it's where locals eat and drink. As it was mainly cattle land there could be real cowboys dropping in too, and sure enough on going to eat there one evening we were followed into the café by 3 of them, they were the real deal. When asked where they bought their hats they were pleased to tell us, "up the road at the vet'nary" . At our puzzled looks they laughed but someone else at a nearby table confirmed they sold farm and cowboy hats amongst other things.
We liked the Panhandle a lot as it is very empty and to our eyes beautiful (in particular the mesas), but also have to say our personal tourism nowadays is to meet people and see what is local and different, we rarely visit 'sites' any longer so this is just a personal view.

We have discovered that OK played a major part in the American West, that due to oil and large scale farming is prosperous too. OKC is an up and coming city for young people due to the amount of work and cheaper housing compared to Dallas etc, it is also becoming a big software centre.

Our initial interest was to get a sense of being on the Plains with hundreds of miles in all directions of not a lot, much of the native American Indian persecution story started here, but most of all we went to learn about the Land Rushes and the Dust Bowl (I'm a big fan of John Steinbeck). Enid north of OKC has a really good museum devoted to the Land Rushes and other things related to those times.

We never got to Tulsa which I see may be on your route, but it has the Gilcrease Museum, the National museum of Western Art and a collection of things western. If we return to the US we will make a point of visiting.

OKC, has the Centennial Land Run Monument at the spot where one of the Land Rushes started in the City, it is an enormous collection of life sized sculptures of the city's land rush people, animals and wagons, free and again amazing. Then there is the Centennial Rodeo Opry, a small theatre that showcases up and coming C&W performers. It plays only on Saturday evenings and often a good idea to buy tickets in advance. It's all you would hope for with a couple of great performances thrown in, not a tourist to be seen.
Last for this posting, on the edge of the city is the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum, simply it's one of the world's great museums. It holds the huge sculpture named 'The End of the Trail' an American Indian on his horse totally bowed and broken by what had happened to his Nation. If there was one thing to do in OKC it's visit this museum if you have any interest in the American West.

We did an amount more and there is a lot of other stuff too, but one thing stood out above everything else, it was the people. Mid-West people are among the most generous, friendly and polite of any we have met in the US on many visits, a real credit to their state.

Hope some of this helps you have a wonderful time if you travel through OK.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
@Deejay and @veevee I've done 3 x 2-month tours (car & motel) of the mid-western states, north to south through the Rockies, but never been into Oklahoma. Sounds like one not to be missed next time.
Been to Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Idaho ('potato capital of the world'), Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, & Nebraska. We never used interstates except once, getting out of Phoenix after picking up our car the first trip.
You met cowboys; I was one of those cowboys! Well, cowgirl I suppose. We do our trips round a couple of weeks working on the spring or autumn round-ups. Hence the avatar.
I totally agree with you, the people of the area are, on the whole, wonderful.

I like the blog CJT. Are you still going to be in USA for 4th July?

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
@Deejay and @veevee I've done 3 x 2-month tours (car & motel) of the mid-western states, north to south through the Rockies, but never been into Oklahoma. Sounds like one not to be missed next time.
Been to Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Idaho ('potato capital of the world'), Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, & Nebraska. We never used interstates except once, getting out of Phoenix after picking up our car the first trip.
You met cowboys; I was one of those cowboys! Well, cowgirl I suppose. We do our trips round a couple of weeks working on the spring or autumn round-ups. Hence the avatar.
I totally agree with you, the people of the area are, on the whole, wonderful.

I like the blog CJT. Are you still going to be in USA for 4th July?

I second all of that, been to all of them states many times except Nebraska, I love the Western Cowboy culture, particularly anything to do with firearms, I find the western area people, honest and sincere, and they like us Brits.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
... even though half the time they think we're Aussies :LOL:

Exactly, many times on our earlier trips we were asked , especially in the middle of nowhere towns,
"Gee, are you guys australian", felt like getting a T shirt printed, No, we are NOT f**king Australian, Jeez!!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Exactly, many times on our earlier trips we were asked , especially in the middle of nowhere towns,
"Gee, are you guys australian", felt like getting a T shirt printed, No, we are NOT f**king Australian, Jeez!!
I think maybe they understand the SIZE of Australia better than they understand the size of the UK, which must be a quaint little town somewhere... in Australia :LOL:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Our experience of Oklahoma was on site 25 miles west of OK city late afternoon sky turned angry black , locals said best get to site shelter, by the time we did it was near continuous lightening and hailstones as big as your fist were hammering down.
The end result the RV had a badly dented bonnet, never checked the roof , it was a new one we were relocating .
Have a great safe adventure .

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
@ceejayt I apologise for you becoming Deejay a few posts back... I did that post on my tablet, which has a mind of its own :cautious:

We spent 4 July in Silver City, New Mexico. The city's in a bowl and we were on the 'rim' - we could see fireworks all around, it went on for hours. Then the parade on the day, floats from every organization from weightwatchers to firefighters. Lovely parade of tractors ancient and modern. Real small-town America at its best.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The National Cowboy Museum at OK city is well worth a visit as is Graceland should you visit Memphis.
The Graceland RV park is behind the Heartbreak Hotel and to eat out you can book to be picked up in a pink Cadillac to get you to Marlowes rib restaurant.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks again for the suggestions.

Today I feel like I have been transported to a Caravan Club site instead of the Capitol KOA. Popped into the office to add one more night to our stay here. Was told that someone had been booked into the pitch we are on for hat day. There are loads of free pitches. They said I would need to move to the adjacent identical pitch.

I suggested that per haps the person arriving might take that pitch instead - apparently they dint like changing bookings so I must move.

Hey ho, no problem.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Thanks again for the suggestions.

Today I feel like I have been transported to a Caravan Club site instead of the Capitol KOA. Popped into the office to add one more night to our stay here. Was told that someone had been booked into the pitch we are on for hat day. There are loads of free pitches. They said I would need to move to the adjacent identical pitch.

I suggested that per haps the person arriving might take that pitch instead - apparently they dint like changing bookings so I must move.

Hey ho, no problem.
Yep. Been, done, and got the T shirt for that one!. However, the Lady did apologise profusely!. But said that many of their "guests" (not campers) booked specific pitches when returning, especially the "long stayers".

If they put you on a Long "pull through", and then need it for one of the "Big Rigs", that is often a reason too. (some are close to 60ft long!), and they dont like unhooking the triple axle "Toy Boxes".

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
In a couple of years we may follow in your footsteps ceejayt. Very interested in the good bad and ugly detail of your adventure, keep it up

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
In a couple of years we may follow in your footsteps ceejayt. Very interested in the good bad and ugly detail of your adventure, keep it up
Added a couple of blog posts in the last couple of days
http://www.annie-and-chris.com/

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Those caverns look amazing, what a clever photo.

Know it's only early days yet but is it as you imagined it to be? and are you all enjoying it?

We've not been but friends have. In a completely different style there are another set of amazing caverns near to Hoover Dam, if you are headed in that direction I'll find out exactly where if you want.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Those caverns look amazing, what a clever photo.

Know it's only early days yet but is it as you imagined it to be? and are you all enjoying it?

We've not been but friends have. In a completely different style there are another set of amazing caverns near to Hoover Dam, if you are headed in that direction I'll find out exactly where if you want.
Well, we are just over a week in and yes, enjoying it. Taken a while for us to sort things out especially as there are normally just the two of us but we have the 14 year old grandson along for the ride so a little less space and we have to get him off his tablet and onto the real world!

We are headed out to the Hoover Dam - probably in about 6 weeks time depending on how it goes. Moving on towards Chicago tomorrow and the start of Route 66.

You can track our progress live most days at this link - pm me if you want the password to see the live tracking map.

I guess tis is as close to full timing as we will get - enjoying it so far.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Got the 'near to Hoover Dam' slightly wrong, they were on their way to Hoover Dam...

It's Antelope Canyon, here's a link to a description https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antelope_Canyon Our friends are good amateur photographers and they said they were overwhelmed by it all. We've seen their photos, quite amazing place.

We invited a young (19 year old) relative to give us a hand for 2 or 3 weeks around our place in France a couple of years ago, he hadn't had work for a while and we thought a break from his home would do him good. We had to drive to Poland first so picked him up from the airport at Freiburg, Germany and continued to an adventure in Poland. After his phone credit ran out (end of day 1) he became so much more sociable, and the next 3 days he was great to be with.
When we returned to France and he could connect into the wifi he resumed his solitary life attached to his phone, this went on for the next 2 weeks so we didn't have much interaction or get a lot of help. We puzzled at what we had got wrong when he stayed with us (we've met up a few times since then and he seems to remember the time with us affectionately?) but the dummies that we are it took a couple of months puzzling what had happened. We realised that if we had turned the wifi off say until 6pm every day it would all have been different, that's our take on it anyway and our mistake.

Chicago is also a favourite world city of ours, think you are on the way at the moment. First visit was August a few years ago and the humidity was pretty exhausting, so we bought tickets for ' the L ' , the elevated circular railway called the Loop that runs around downtown. We enjoy rail anyway but it's air-con was a life saver and being elevated allows you to see so much for a very cheap ticket. We stayed on the train for I think 2 loops and cooled right down.
Rosie told me to mention too that friends of ours born and bred in Chicago told us if we were going to visit one of the ultra tall towers to go to the John Hancock Center near the lake. From here you can see the shoreline, across the lake, all of downtown and across to the Willis Tower which is the highest in Chicago. When we arrived at the top we could see why they recommended it.

Do you find diesel easy to buy or do you have to go to the truck area of a gas station? What's your favourite place so far, that's for all of you?

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi

Thanks again for the info. Updating the blogs over the last couple of days as we have had poor wifi - easier to get diesel than decent WiFi. Went into an IHOP today for lunch - discovered they had 50 meg wifi and they took it all in their stride when I went back out to the van and brought in phone, iPad and laptop to update with photos etc.

Chicago was great - blog in a day or so when I get a moment.

Have started turning off the wifi so that the Grandson stays engaged otherwise he is on the phone all the time - very wearing!

Currently he is sitting opposite me doing his maths homework which we have to do as well. We are in a Walmart tonight as local campground was full - they were very happy for us to shop and stay and we are parked under lights and cameras so feel safe enough. No jacks down and no slide out but all good.

C

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
And here are our stops so far this trip since Baltimore...

IMG_1076.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back