Great American Road Trip

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ceejayt, Aug 8, 2016.

1. ceejayt

ceejayt Funster Life Member

We have been planning this for some time now as part of our retirement and it is finally coming together for next year. From February to September we will ship our motorhome to Baltimore and spend 8 months touring North America.
    Once you start planning, you realise just what a big country this is and how vast some of the distances are and we have a lot to tick off on our bucket list. Anyway, the map below shows what we believe we can achieve in 34 weeks (and around 14,000 miles). I have a week by week plan including mileage distances and main sights to visit.

Starting October when I get back from my 500 mile walk for charity (just giving page here!!!), I will keep this thread and my blog updated with progress and information which I hope will be of interest to others who may plan to do something similar.
    The Tour.jpg

• Like Like x 20
  2. Cleve

Cleve Funster

Well done and all the best. I hope to do something similar but it is a couple of years off yet!:france::wine::france:

3. ceejayt

Th
    thanks. Well I hope the information in here helps you down the track. It's daunting but doable

4. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Enjoy all that you have planned, regards AlfandM (y)

5. mustaphapint

mustaphapint Funster

What an adventure. I shall follow with interest.

6. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

Would be interested in the cost of the shipping, and good luck with the trip.
    Cheers
    Ed

7. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

Any USA tour should never fail to visit the Western Rockies IMO, good luck with the tour.

8. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Wow, brilliant, something we hope to do in future, will be following closely :)

9. klaatu

klaatu Funster

I'm guessing you're going clockwise?

10. buttons

buttons Funster

Your lines look a bit straight to me could do with a bit more flex, I think chatting to people on route will give you ideas and other destinations as you go..
    Michael Portillos has a great tv series about American railroads as we speak. Find out about the local history of an area and enjoy a little at a time.

The US is a huge and interesting country with a mix like you don't get anywhere else. Sometimes if there is somewhere miles away that has some appeal then you always have the option of parking your motorhome in a secure place and hopping on a plane for a few days. Internal flights are cheep as chips and it would break up what could be a lot of unnecessary driving. Looks like a great trip however you go about it....(y)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06zzfy5

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Stagman

Stagman Funster

Fantastic! How exciting for you....enjoy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Wow!

Have a read of "Blue Highways - a journey into America" by William Least Heat-Moon. Written 1983 but an interesting travelog. He follows the backroads rather than the mainroads. We did the same on our trips to USA - never used the interstates except to get to or from the airports. We didn't do the whole country though! just up & down the Rockies from Arizona & New Mexico to Montana & North Dakota - love the mountains so much we did this area every time; can't count how many times we crossed the Continental Divide. We were in a car too, not a MH, using motels; and didn't plan anything other than the flights & the first night (they won't let you in if you don't have somewhere to go) - we like to just make things up on the hoof depending what we see and stuff we're told about on the way.

You're going to have such a great time, I'm already excited for you! And I'm so looking forward to your updates & photos.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. ceejayt

Yes, apart from the start of the trip we should then be with the seasons - arriving in Alaska in August and back out through Canada during September.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. ceejayt

Shipping one way Antwerp to Baltimore is €4000 but that is for my 9m van. You lay by the cubic metre and they say every cm counts and my vehicle is 68.3 cubic metres at 47 euros per cubic metre and then various customs charges etc on top.
    In addition, optional marine insurance is 0.9% of the value of the vehicle - which we will be taking in case of loss at sea.
    Slightly cheaper shipping back and then there is the cost of motorhome insurance whilst we are there which will be something like US$2k - still to confirm that.
    Other Problems/things to think about:
    House won't be insured after more than 90 days absence - trying to work that one out
    Motorhome insurance can be suspended whilst we are away (NFU)
    Switching our car insurance to fire, theft and accidental damage whilst we are away and SORNing both vehicles
    Trying to get travel insurance for 8 month trip - again, current insurance limited to a 60 day trip

So, a few things to muddle through yet!

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Baycott

Baycott Funster

So would I (y)
    Edit: crossed posts. Thanks for the info

16. ceejayt

Because google maps only allows 9 points on a map and I wanted to show the overall idea of the route - I have 15 individual maps, one for each leg of the trip - they are not very straight :):)

• Like Like x 3
  17. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

What a fantastic plan - good luck!

I assume you've covered this in your planning - but wouldn't it be cheaper to by an rv over there with a buy back option rather than a fortune in shipping and expenses??? Just wondered since I thought of doing that!
    That said - the RS Elysian is a top van!

18. ceejayt

That used to be straightforward because many dealers would offer a sell and buy back option but that does not appear to be the case now. Two years ago we hired an RV with cruise canada for 10 days, paid a fortune and hated it - you do need your own stuff and this way we take all our home comforts with us.

Let's say £9,000 all in for shipping there and back - that's a 34 week holiday for around £37 per night - any other costs would be the same - except fuel which will be MUCH cheaper in my more humble 3 litre diesel than some 6 litre gas guzzler.

In the papers you see many cruise offers for perhaps 30 or even 60 nights that cost more than this - I think shipping is good value and you have a known quantity with the vehicle.

:)

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. ceejayt

Thanks - just bought it on iBooks - looks interesting. I also have an old copy of Frommers Travel America by RV but the best book I have at the moment is Dream Routes of the Americas

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  20. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Let me know what you think of it!