Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
Bromsgrove
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 582
Exp
2years but caravanned for years
Well; this weekend marks our arrival in motorhome land proper. Picked up our new 'van and had our first night in it.

I was just wondering......should I continue to dump my gray water in the drain provided or should I just leave the tap open and drive off dribbling? I think I was the only person to dump as opposed to drive away. That can't be right.....can it?

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I once left a site when the van in front had its grey waste valve open, followed it for a few miles and the front of my van was covered with all the crap he spewed out, was not very happy.
Imagine being in an open top car behind some lazy B who cant be bothered doing it properly.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
grease and muck on the road is not just antisocial its dangerous:winky:

be responsible and drain down before leaving site especially in winter:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
When I used to go caravanning I found that most CL owners were happy to let you leave your grey water to run out into the bushes as long as you ran a pipe out.
It saved them a bit of watering I think.
Obviously that won't always be the case but it's always worth asking the question.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I think it depends where you are.

On a site in Norfolk in October, no EHU and parked near the end of the site on grass near a hedge, we let it dribble out. No problems there.

In Banbury, on hard standing in full view of the owners cottage, we did the 'proper' thing and emptied into a designated drain as the dribbling water would have easily showed up on the dry site. Plus it was brrrr!! cold and we didn't want an icy puddle around us. The irony there was that the site drain couldn't handle our 3" outlet due to the crap blocking it from other visitors and soon overflowed, so we emptied at home.

But you get the message.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Don't presume that those not emptying on site are letting it dribble out, we usually drop ours at home as it is more convenient, we also have a black tank and drop the grey water after black to flush through the discharge pipe

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Well before we left our pitch this afternoon, Ralph fixed the black pipe to our waste. Let it go into the hedge .
I turned all the taps on and emptied all the fresh water down the sinks after the grey waste had gone. Which then went through the same pipe into the hedge. No evidence left , and bushes watered. :thumb:
Black pipe going into the bushes , Looks a lot better than water gushing out from underneath onto hard standing.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
What did they say ? Here we go :Doh:

Vlad

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Get rid of it where you can, that's what I say!

But, always in the right place. We mostly stay on aires and there is always a waste drain, otherwise we take it home and empty down one of our drains. We've seen plenty of people driving along with water splashing out of the waste pipe, I think that just shows contempt for the place they have just visited. These people probably have offspring that throw their big mac and KFC packaging out of their cars as they drive down my road....
Allan

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I usually leave our grey waste tank about quarter full when leaving site so the tank gets really well swilled around on the journey and then empty it as soon as we get home before all the crud gets a chance to settle again.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I'm such an angel that I don't ever empty mine.

I have a pipe connected to the waste which puts it back in the fresh, and then we boil it for tea and coffee and Tara's drinking wate....we then wash in it too.

We have been doing this for a while now and hence never needed to empty the tank or refil the tanks

It's genius,

And no one gets upset neither. :thumb:

I've patented this idea and am going on the next series of dragons den. We are currently working on a similar idea for the toilet waste. Being a swift it is driven by a separate flush water tank. Soon I will be able to get my crap waste back in to the fresh flush :thumb:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Well; this weekend marks our arrival in motorhome land proper. Picked up our new 'van and had our first night in it.

I was just wondering......should I continue to dump my gray water in the drain provided or should I just leave the tap open and drive off dribbling? I think I was the only person to dump as opposed to drive away. That can't be right.....can it?

No its a dirty habit use the dump. Pete :thumb:

Ps at the Longridge meet a van on our Forum passed the front of me with water running out of his drain so they do it on here has well.

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
As a rule of thumb do what you want ,tell no one and admit nothing .:Doh:
I live my life on the road by the rules and expect all others to share OUR opinions and our beliefs !:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
If they want to do what they want they should just become "TUGGERS" and please themselves :winky: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Vlad

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years

I have a pipe connected to the waste which puts it back in the fresh, and then we boil it for tea and coffee and Tara's drinking wate....we then wash in it too.

We have been doing this for a while now and hence never needed to empty the tank or refil the tanks

It's genius,

I've patented this idea and am going on the next series of dragons den. We are currently working on a similar idea for the toilet waste. Being a swift it is driven by a separate flush water tank. Soon I will be able to get my crap waste back in to the fresh flush :thumb:

Hey Paul no wonder you can run. :winky::winky::winky:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
No its a dirty habit use the dump. Pete :thumb:

Ps at the Longridge meet a van on our Forum passed the front of me with water running out of his drain so they do it on here has well.

Same thing happened at Waldegraves a couple of weeks ago. The Hymer van in front of us simply drove off with the grey waste open. I hope it was an error as it left a lovely snail trail...... not

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

It's genius,

I've patented this idea and am going on the next series of dragons den. We are currently working on a similar idea for the toilet waste. Being a swift it is driven by a separate flush water tank.[HI] Soon I will be able to get my crap waste back in to the fresh flush[/HI] :thumb:

When I first read this I thought it was a load of crap but then I realised there was no reference to recycling the crap into both fresh water and diesel to actually power the van. Missing a trick there Paul :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My grey water has an aroma similar to Chanel No 5 so I bottle it and sell it...

In this way I am able to buy Portugal bit by bit...

JJ :Cool:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Its fine to put it into a road drain but remember this then usually empties directly into a stream/river watercourse of some type. Or even empty on a grassy bank.

Dont let it dribble on the road though it does look bad, especially in Johnny Foreigner land as they will take offence easily:ROFLMAO:

In the winter you will be doing the environment a favour by washing some freshwater through the salty road crud mix that is being sent into the river courses . :thumb:

With my vans rear end in a foot of flood water at the Cologne aire recently, I just opened up the grey water tap and let it out into the flow of water under my van for immediate disposal.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back