Grantown to Braemar (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we are on our way back down to Grantown site tomorrow from Durness for 2 nights, then a couple more nights at Braemar. I have never driven over the Tomintoul road, logic would say stay well clear in winter, but as the weather is hardly cold can I have local opinion on this route this week please

Narrow roads not an issue, keeping your eyes open and making good and proper use of passing places works very well, it is the risk of ice that would concern me

The option looks like around 50 miles further via Keith then cross country or nearly 100 miles further via Keith then Aberdeen

David

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Sorry can't help with road conditions but love Breamar. The CC site there is excellent, super warm facilities and a drying room it will be open this time of year too. Also there is a great place to get a meal (sorry cannot remember the name), it's a hotel over looking the Highland games field. Have a great time.

chrisinplymouth

Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015
Hi David

Just check the weather forecast. I have driven that road a couple of times in a car whilst on holiday in February 2009 and 2007. It's not that narrow compared with some of the single track roads with passing places towards the north of Scotland.

The road passes the lecht ski centre and is kept clear to allow access for skiers.

Unless the forecast warns against it I would think you would be fine.

Hope this helps

Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
No forecast for snow road is good and been over it in MH several times and no problem currently at aCL at Banchory and May go back to Elgin that way tomorrow just for the run
It's a better road than the one from Keith

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back