Grande Frontier - any good ones? (1 Viewer)

A

AngieandNick

Deleted User
We have a Cheyenne 632SE but would like more living area. Have seen a Grande Frontier and loved the layout, huge bathroom/dressing area, great sized kitchen etc but have read some horror stories. Have been told that teething problems were sorted but wondered if anyone has experience of owning one now (are there problems with parts??) Does anyone know of anything with a similar layout? Any help appreciated

Angie and Nick

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi, we too liked the appearance of the Grande Frontier and looked carefully at it when selecting our new motorhome in 2007 - we were very unimpressed by the awful build quality - the show model at Peterborough was falling to bits after less than a day on show- and there were some serious design flaws, like the bathroom locker contents were exposed (and all fell onto the ground outside) when the outdoor locker was opened. Also, the garage was very very poor for a motorhome of that size and price. It was incredibly overpriced, although of course you will get one for less than half the new price of those heady days!!! We chose the Adria Vision which was more than £20K cheaper, much better build quality and a huge garage, although our dealer experience wasn't great in hindsight!!! We still love the Adria and are hugely relieved that we didn't go ahead with the Frontier - it was short-lived as a model as well, showing just how unpopular the huge price tag and lousy build quality was, I think. Just our personal observations - if you like what you see, and are happy with the price, go for it. Wishing you all the best with your choice, whatever it may be!!

Laurie:thumb:

bald eagle

Free Member
Jan 30, 2009
here,there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 1998
Hi angie and nick
We have autotrail mohican with the same lay out what you
are talking about.We have the mh 7 years now on a v reg
and we have been lucky not having to much trouble, just general
ware and tare, so my choice would be to buy second hand.
good luck:thumb:

regards
bald eagle

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
|We had one for 20 miles only

The A class 7300 i think!
Hi,yes 20 miles and took it back and said keep it . later saw a note on a forum (would you buy one and the man called me on the phone for more info.)

Nice truck "IF" you can find a good one and i say "IF", and a good price.
Best of luck.

New Price think 67-70K:Angry::Angry::Angry:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Auto Trails are great, I have owned a couple of them, but, the Grand Frontier was a disaster for them. It was their first A class, and maybe their last, I'm not sure. With all the good quality A class vans out there, the GF would be my last choice. I rate Auto Trail and would buy another tomorrow, just not an A class:Smile:

Lenham Gez

Free Member
Jun 17, 2012
Lenham, Kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Too late I reckon!

Only three years after the original post, but may interest someone! Jan and I have had a Grande Frontier for over 4 years now, and although we've had some problems with it, we both think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. The weight of the thing (4.6 tons) was a worry to us initially, as we do a lot of wilding, and worried about getting bogged down. . . . . not a problem as the twin rear wheels driving it are like snow shoes! It even got us out of the national show at Peterborough this year when everyone else was waiting to be towed out!::bigsmile:
The leisure batteries didn't last long when we first got it, so we replaced them with a pair of linked 110s and put a solar panel on the roof. . . . hey presto, not a problem since.
The build quality is not great, and we still find that things come apart occasionally:Angry:, but all sortable.
One big advantage of this beast is that none of the family can come and stay with us!!!:ROFLMAO: 2 berths = peace and quiet!
Big bathroom, good seating area, great kitchen with a big fridge/freezer, and generally very comfortable, the only downside we still think is the lack of outside storage. The hatches are too small to get a decent chair in!
We've enjoyed it for four and a half years, and are just considering changing, but don't know to what. . . . maybe we'll stick with it!!

Happy times to all, Gez.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I was seriously thinking of buying such a van a few years ago. After a note from an owner who I had a meet with my mind was changed. He actually owned his for four hours, yes four hours. He collected it from the dealer and after travelling down the motorway for an hour he pulled into the services at the request of the Police. ALL his lights were totally wired wrong, the rattles were deafening and it wandered about the road. He drove directly back to the dealer and refused to accept it. After 2 days camping there he had a refund and purchased another brand. I have a friend in Scotland who owned one for 3 months but it spent more time in the dealer trying to be repaired than he used it. Eventually his son, a motorhome dealer, managed to offload it at a silly price. Not long after a dealer in the south was selling these vans in MMM but without the Autotrail Grande Frontier name. He had stripped all the identity from the vehicle so no graphics or names. He was selling them for under £40,000, new.
I have always admired Autotrail and even owned two. They manufacture a decent motorhome but there venture into A Class was a total mistake, and I immagine a very costly one.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Stuart (Silkcut105) has a superb example. But he did rebuild and strengthen the roof.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back