grand frontier

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ratty, Dec 22, 2009.

1. ratty

ratty Read Only Funster

just thinking about looking at a autotrail grand frontier 06 plate,read all the bad bits but would love to hear about the plus side, we have a 635 cheyenne & it fits the bill

2. M&L

M&L Read Only Funster

From what I have read about them there are no plus bits, the clue is in how few they actually made.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  3. ratty

ratty Read Only Funster

has any body out there got one & have positive reports.

4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Ratty, i think you will struggle to find a good report on the Grande Frontier, I have only ever read bad ones.

• Like Like x 2
  5. zaskar

zaskar Funster

I wonder why it is that British built A class's have never really caught on?:Sad:
    Other than the Grand Frontier (which I thought looked stunning), there was the Bel Aire from Swift and the King / Auto king from Elddis, none of which really amounted to anything.
    Wonder why, must be a good reason, especially when you consider how popular the Euro A class rigs are.

6. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

Hi, Brave man lusting over a Frontier.
    I nearly bought one last year until I talked to a fellow motorhomer who owned one for two and half hours. It was self destructing as he left Brownhills and by the time he travelled 30 miles down the motorway the Police had stopped him for lighting offences. He turned round and gave them it back. After checking EVERYTHING he had over 27 faults. As his determination was so great he camped at Newark for 2 days until they gave him a different van, Hymer.
    Problem now they no longer make them as they proved a BIG headache to Autotrail. Wiljoy:thumb:

7. potjoe

potjoe Read Only Funster

Ref A7300 as it was.

Wiljoy it sounds like me you are talkeing about i think! we had a G-Front from Brownhills and we did 20 miles only and had one left light on and one right on plus lots of other things no good,and yes we went back to brownhills and give them the keys and said keep it

In the end we had a Hymer B544 SL plus lots of XXX`s.

Also no some one how had one had to have new front top,door,shower just but few pro`s,when you think that they where about 65-70K new a lot of money and no good,yes the lay out was very good and if only they got it right i think may have been a winner for Auto-Trail but like them all they walk away !

Me think keep money in pocket or look harder.

Merry Xmas to you all.John-Carole

:Smile::Smile::Smile:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  8. m taylor

m taylor Read Only Funster

grande frontier

hi yes i have had a grande frontier for a year now,yes it had its faults when we bought it but all have been sorted by autotrail,its a fab layout and we love it weve had alsorts ,yanks,brits,germans,the worst being a £90,000 hymer s820.you can only comment as you find but there is good and bad in all makes,the reason they only made about 40 odd i believe was that merc had no more 416 chassis left and the body wouldnt fit the hew chassis hope this helps and maybe you will also be a proud grande frontier owner

• Like Like x 1
  9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

doesnt say a lot for Autotrails purchasing department does it.......buying a chassis thats going out of production in a short time. :Eeek:
    if they really meant to keep production going they would have modified the body to suit the new chassis.

i think they knew they were on a loser from the start but all the tooling was in place by then.

10. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

Sorry I seem to be a bit confused by this:

How old is it?
    You say Autotrail sorted faults?

Who said that was the reason?
    You say an s820 is worse than a Frontier :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  11. m taylor

m taylor Read Only Funster

grande frontier

its now just 3 years old,and yes the autotrail factory sorted the faults and did work i didn't even ask to have done,they were brilliant !cant remember who told me about the chassis changing.yes the grande frontier had less faults and less serious than the s820.hope this makes my post clearer for you,like i said you can only comment on your own experience:thumb:

12. ratty

ratty Read Only Funster

re grande frontier

just picked up late 56 plate grande frontier, fan flipping tastic , ticks every box & more, read the report from practical motorhome its spot on.:Wink:

13. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

Just read that report - pretty fair write up I thought :Smile:
    You enjoy the motorhome & ignore what others may say:Wink:

14. bailey

bailey

Totaly agree the majorityof comments come from people who havent owned that part model and have comented on rumours (you know what its like it starts of with 2 faults by the time it does the rounds you have 30/40 faults)i remember when i had a c/van and used a Vaux Frontera to pull, this model was slated by everyone yet it was one of the best cars i ever had

Bill

15. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Mike who owns this one was undaunted by the negative reports and is to my knowledge very happy with theirs so that makes at least two satisfied owners.
    [​IMG]

Found this too......unrelated to the one above. Good coverage of this nice A class
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGTFTmxFeY0&feature=related[/ame]

• Like Like x 3
  16. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

I think the reason the Bel Aire from the ones I have seen never caught on was it was an A class in name only, nice front but mated to a Kon-tiki rear cab. Think Swift got cold feet and never developed completely.

17. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

Good for you! We are not all the same, and if you like it, and you can afford it, WHY NOT! I will admit it does look real nice, and the layout is beautiful, the Merc under pinnings must be good, so if the rest is acceptable and in good working order, enjoy!

Craig

18. stagman

stagman Deleted User

For years my mate was put off from buying one gue to all the negative remarks about them but in the end he did buy one , and loves it wish he had done it earlier , and got to say it is a quality van at a very affordable price at the moment . If you are going to buy one try and think of keeping it for a few years , and you may just find their prices will stabalise in the future to your advantage , another thing is a lot of the niggly faults will now have been sorted :thumb:

19. mikkidee

mikkidee Read Only Funster

Yeah we are still happy with ours, over the moon in fact. Everytime we get in it it puts a smile on our faces and it is fantastic to drive. And the layout is beautiful, it,s an A Class and it,s British. We are now looking forward to our week away in the lakes Xmas Day to New Years Day can't wait.:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  20. robnchris

robnchris Funster

yahooooo

Well done you both, we looked long and hard for a Grand Frontier even after reading all the bad press and hearing about the one at the show that was [FONT=&quot]literally[/FONT] falling to bits inside at the end of the first days showing.

We figured we could use that bad reputation to get one cheaper and then go about rebuilding it inside to our own high standards.

As it was whilst at the Newark Show earlier this year I found my lovely wife inside an Autotrail Arapaho and the rest as they say is history....