GPS Tracker self monitored (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
No doubt a few funsters have been down this route, want something that will notify me by sms if MH is moved whilst we are not at home/in bed, also be able to track in real time should the worst happen Do not want to go down the subscription route its just for my own piece of mind. Spent a couple of hours doing my head in browsing these on Ebay.

Anyone been there done it have the tee shirt and have recommendations. :)

Many thanks

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
One of these
Works a treat.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Yo Jonkil looked at these several times over last few months how straightforward to wire in?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Yes, easily wired.... quite a few for immobiliser but all straightforward NC/NO circuit.
Also act as a geofence, you can set it to text you if your MH moves outside a specified area. Also can text it to stop the engine.
Also, have an APP for phone to locate it.
Also able to dial in and listen to any sound in van.
I have those fitted to plant and machinery too, they work well.
There is two models, one with remote control and a manual model..... buy the remote model..
They are roughly the size of a pack of cigarettes and are fitted with an internal battery in case the thief disconnects the wires.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I fitted these
Broken Link Removed
to a couple of our motorbikes a few years ago. They seem quite effective. You can program it to send you a text if the vehicle is moved, if you ring the number for the unit from your mobile or you can set it to text you its location at a frequency you determine. Say every 4 hours. I used a PAYG sim card in them. The SMS text contains the GPS reference of the unit or the cell phone area if a GPS signal is not available. You can program it remotely by sending text messages from your own mobile. The disadvantage was that I never found any free software that would convert the SMS text into a location on a map, You either had to pay for that service or manually key in the location into your sat nav or google maps.
I'm sure there are more sophisticated ones available now, but they served their purpose at the time. I never had to put them to a real test though.
Paul

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There are a few similar devices, this is another. You can get a kit to wire it in permanently. Amazon product ASIN B00NB2KR66
They are not perfect, a clever thief can buy a cheap jammer and you have to hide them in a position where they can still get a gsm and gps signal. You also have to be awake when something happens!

Giffgaff do a 2g sim card for about £5 a month which is sufficient.

Good for peace of mind at minimal cost but by no means as secure as more expensive systems which link to vehicle immobilisers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back