'GP's to report elderly patients who are considered unsafe to drive' (1 Viewer)

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
So could this be a issue for many elderly motorhome drivers who have not reached the ripe old age of 7o but have medical condition that may impair their driving ability ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Presumably any drivers in this position will have been told by their GP, at least once, that they are not fir to drive and are, therefore, putting themselves and others at risk by continuing to do so. Knowing that they could be reported and banned if they ignore that advice might make some people more willing to take it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... whilst I agree that this a good thing if it gets people off the roads who shouldn't be driving ... like the Renault Scenic driver I saw on Sunday who was having difficulty turning a corner ... what worries me is that it could stop some elderly going to the doctor in the first place if they are worried that it may mean they lose their licence ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Maybe, but if you're a risk to others on the road then, sadly, its time to stop.

Our neighbour, a lovely woman aged around 87, was totally unfit to drive yet did so for more years than was safe. I found it inconceivable that she could legally go onto a motorway when clearly she wasn't fit to be behind the wheel.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
what worries me is that it could stop some elderly going to the doctor in the first place if they are worried that it may mean they lose their licence
If they are that worried then surely they know that they are potentially putting people at risk and should be honest enough to take the consequences.
elderly motorhome drivers who have not reached the ripe old age of 7o
:Eeek: Hang on a drop, 70 isn't elderly these days :laughing:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
... whilst I agree that this a good thing if it gets people off the roads who shouldn't be driving ... like the Renault Scenic driver I saw on Sunday who was having difficulty turning a corner ... what worries me is that it could stop some elderly going to the doctor in the first place if they are worried that it may mean they lose their licence ...

Yes but better to lose a licence than lose a life.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I don't know about elderly drivers of which I have met many excellent drivers but anyone with a medical condition that makes them unsafe should not be driving.
There has been plenty of grief caused by the Glasgow bin wagon driver who thought he should keep driving when obviously he shouldn't.
To drive if medically unfit is simply reckless and against the law and to think otherwise is bonkers.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I wish someone had taken my Dad's licence away...

He had dementia and I tried to get him to stop driving , but he wouldn't listen.. while we were visiting him in Scotland he went for a drive and was in an accident, fortunately no one was injured.. when he came home he had no recollection of it.. .. first I knew was when the police turned up looking for him.. he had hit several cars and done a runner.. that was his last drive.. sadly he has since passed away

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If they can afford to run a car then surely they can afford to use a taxi for visits to the dictor.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I concur...I am nearly 71 and at the moment according to my last mot I have good eysight and reasonably fit. No major probs but do suffer from copd..if the doctor informed me that in her opinion I was no longer fit to drive I would be reluctant to give it up ,however if my licence was withdrawn on her recommendations.I would find ways to overcome the lack of wheels..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... yes but to lose a life to keep a licence is an issue too if they don't go to the doctors when they should ...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If they can afford to run a car then surely they can afford to use a taxi for visits to the dictor.
Not the point I was making.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I don't think this is new.

GPs have always been able to inform the DVLA if they think someone is unsafe to drive on medical grounds and won't stop voluntarily. The age of the person has nothing to do with it. I'm aware of it happening to someone who was in his early 20s at the time. The DVLA suspended his licence for a year and he had to get a letter from the doctor in order to get it back.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

I think MinxyGirl means that knowing you might loose your licence would stop you going to the doctors for a fit to drive medical.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Simple answer to this is a similar health check that you have to do for retention of the HGV to 7.5 tonne. I have to do that as I am over 70 if the doctor is doubtful then the standard HGV medical will sort it and it can be done by any doctor not your own so can be totally impartial.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
For sometime now their has been a media campaign to retest all older drivers maybe when reaching 70. It would appear that the government has now taken this on board by putting the onus on to GPs who have been instructed to report anyone for any medical or social problems to the DVLA. If you tell your GP you like a drink for instance or had a dizzy spell or maybe suffer depression he could in his wisdom pass this on to the DVLA.
The GP will not take the responsibility on himself for your safe driving so he is perfectly in his rights to pass on even minor possible problems you might report to him.
What do you think.?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Probably a good idea,,,,,BUSBY.

Reactions: GJH
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
As far as I am aware Dr's have had a list of conditions that they need to report to DVLA. I guess this suggests that they also apply their professional view to the general state of health of their patient. They would discuss the position with the patient and then inform DVLA.
Difficult stuff, telling someone that their health now means that they are not able to continue to drive, real life changing decisions, not something I would like to do too often. A GPs life is not an easy one, although very lucrative.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
It would appear that the government has now taken this on board by putting the onus on to GPs who have been instructed to report anyone for any medical or social problems to the DVLA. If you tell your GP you like a drink for instance or had a dizzy spell or maybe suffer depression he could in his wisdom pass this on to the DVLA.
The GP will not take the responsibility on himself for your safe driving so he is perfectly in his rights to pass on even minor possible problems you might report to him.
What do you think.?

I don't think you're right in saying that the GP's have been instructed to report any social or minor problems to the DVLA. GP's are urged to report medical problems which would affect the person's ability to drive.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I don't think you're right in saying that the GP's have been instructed to report any social or minor problems to the DVLA. GP's are urged to report medical problems which would affect the person's ability to drive.
Like a dizzy spell a drink problem or maybe depression you mean.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Report on radio only the other week about this and some of the diasterous consequences and loss of life caused by oldies refusing to face facts. About time
I think but in no way enough leaving it up to doctors, should be re tests for all at some stage...

The main thing that came out of program was that concerned family members have no way of reporting an elderly relative who refuses to stop...

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Well if it stops people like my dad driving then I'm all for it.
We tried & tried to get his licence removed but couldn't, even when he drove under a double-decker & nearly killed my niece.
Thank goodness he now can't drive.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Well if it stops people like my dad driving then I'm all for it.
We tried & tried to get his licence removed but couldn't, even when he drove under a double-decker & nearly killed my niece.
Thank goodness he now can't drive.

And these incidences not uncommon: (

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

A dizzy spell or depression - absolutely would not affect a person's ability to drive. Why do you think they would?

A drink problem... well that depends on whether the person drives while under the influence. If they're sober enough to pass a breath test then I would think they're just as capable as anyone else.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Dizzy spells probably depending on diagnosis but drinking and depression maybe not. Parkinson's and the like, probably. Besides that, the dvla have enough problems coping as it is, there's no way they could cope with policing that. Doctors, well they are pulled out enough, I think they have enough on there plates without reporting Mrs turtle for having 2 glasses of wine with her breakfast.
The realistic view is that if it's a disease that will effect sight and ability to drive safely without risk of passing out at the wheel then I think the doc is able to stand up and not fear reproach for not reporting.
Drink driving is a police matter not a doctors. They just pick up the pieces when it's all gone wrong.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Dizzy spells probably depending on diagnosis but drinking and depression maybe not. Parkinson's and the like, probably. Besides that, the dvla have enough problems coping as it is, there's no way they could cope with policing that. Doctors, well they are pulled out enough, I think they have enough on there plates without reporting Mrs turtle for having 2 glasses of wine with her breakfast.
The realistic view is that if it's a disease that will effect sight and ability to drive safely without risk of passing out at the wheel then I think the doc is able to stand up and not fear reproach for not reporting.
Drink driving is a police matter not a doctors. They just pick up the pieces when it's all gone wrong.
All very logical Wickolad but remember these are the times when the DVLA will revoke your license for something as minor as not getting a form back on time.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I'd go along with a compulsory (free) annual medical and practical check for driving capability for every driver reaching the age of ?? (65?). [/QUOTE]

That would never happen DVSA cannot even cope with the number of people wanting tests let alone people needing age related. Although accidents with OAP's often hit the headlines you need to look at the figures the majority of accidents are attributed to 17 to 23 year olds and then progressively less as people get older.

The biggest problem as far as I can see is that provided you only want to retain the right to drive a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes you can self certify that you are fit to drive without seeing a doctor

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back