'GP's to report elderly patients who are considered unsafe to drive'

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mentaliss, Nov 25, 2015.

1. mentaliss

mentaliss

So could this be a issue for many elderly motorhome drivers who have not reached the ripe old age of 7o but have medical condition that may impair their driving ability ?

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Presumably any drivers in this position will have been told by their GP, at least once, that they are not fir to drive and are, therefore, putting themselves and others at risk by continuing to do so. Knowing that they could be reported and banned if they ignore that advice might make some people more willing to take it.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

... whilst I agree that this a good thing if it gets people off the roads who shouldn't be driving ... like the Renault Scenic driver I saw on Sunday who was having difficulty turning a corner ... what worries me is that it could stop some elderly going to the doctor in the first place if they are worried that it may mean they lose their licence ...

• Like Like x 9
  4. StefAndDi

StefAndDi

YES.

5. Oriel

Oriel

Maybe, but if you're a risk to others on the road then, sadly, its time to stop.

Our neighbour, a lovely woman aged around 87, was totally unfit to drive yet did so for more years than was safe. I found it inconceivable that she could legally go onto a motorway when clearly she wasn't fit to be behind the wheel.

• Like Like x 8
  6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

If they are that worried then surely they know that they are potentially putting people at risk and should be honest enough to take the consequences.
    :Eeek: Hang on a drop, 70 isn't elderly these days :laughing:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Yes but better to lose a licence than lose a life.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

I don't know about elderly drivers of which I have met many excellent drivers but anyone with a medical condition that makes them unsafe should not be driving.
    There has been plenty of grief caused by the Glasgow bin wagon driver who thought he should keep driving when obviously he shouldn't.
    To drive if medically unfit is simply reckless and against the law and to think otherwise is bonkers.

• Like Like x 11
  9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I wish someone had taken my Dad's licence away...

He had dementia and I tried to get him to stop driving , but he wouldn't listen.. while we were visiting him in Scotland he went for a drive and was in an accident, fortunately no one was injured.. when he came home he had no recollection of it.. .. first I knew was when the police turned up looking for him.. he had hit several cars and done a runner.. that was his last drive.. sadly he has since passed away

10. jezport

jezport Funster

If they can afford to run a car then surely they can afford to use a taxi for visits to the dictor.

11. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

I concur...I am nearly 71 and at the moment according to my last mot I have good eysight and reasonably fit. No major probs but do suffer from copd..if the doctor informed me that in her opinion I was no longer fit to drive I would be reluctant to give it up ,however if my licence was withdrawn on her recommendations.I would find ways to overcome the lack of wheels..

• Like Like x 3
  12. Minxy Girl

... yes but to lose a life to keep a licence is an issue too if they don't go to the doctors when they should ...

13. Minxy Girl

Not the point I was making.

• Like Like x 1
  14. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I don't think this is new.

GPs have always been able to inform the DVLA if they think someone is unsafe to drive on medical grounds and won't stop voluntarily. The age of the person has nothing to do with it. I'm aware of it happening to someone who was in his early 20s at the time. The DVLA suspended his licence for a year and he had to get a letter from the doctor in order to get it back.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Oriel

Oriel

I think MinxyGirl means that knowing you might loose your licence would stop you going to the doctors for a fit to drive medical.

• Like Like x 2
  16. The Wino

The Wino Funster

But thats their own life not someone elses!! it isn't fair if their choice to keep driving when not meeting the standard endangers others if they choose not to visit the GP that's their choice

• Like Like x 5
  17. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Simple answer to this is a similar health check that you have to do for retention of the HGV to 7.5 tonne. I have to do that as I am over 70 if the doctor is doubtful then the standard HGV medical will sort it and it can be done by any doctor not your own so can be totally impartial.

18. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    I'd go along with a compulsory (free) annual medical and practical check for driving capability for every driver reaching the age of ?? (65?).

• Like Like x 3
  19. buttons

buttons Funster

For sometime now their has been a media campaign to retest all older drivers maybe when reaching 70. It would appear that the government has now taken this on board by putting the onus on to GPs who have been instructed to report anyone for any medical or social problems to the DVLA. If you tell your GP you like a drink for instance or had a dizzy spell or maybe suffer depression he could in his wisdom pass this on to the DVLA.
    The GP will not take the responsibility on himself for your safe driving so he is perfectly in his rights to pass on even minor possible problems you might report to him.
    What do you think.?

• Like Like x 1
  20. busby

busby Funster

Probably a good idea,,,,,BUSBY.

• Like Like x 1