GPS Sat Nav Europe under £50 (inc p&p?)

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by Wortle, May 12, 2009.

1. Wortle

Wortle Read Only Funster

GPS Sat Nav Europe under £50 (inc p&p?)

£49.98. MyGuide m.imove 3218

I was pleased to find this. It does say free p&p in an icon beside the item but elsewhere says p&p free for orders over 49.99 so I may have to buy some thing else.
    It uses
    "TurboDog navigation software, and includes 2008 maps of UK and Ireland and Western Europe by Tele Atlas, the industry's leading map provider. With high end navigation features including lane indication, 3D landmarks and in-map and text-to-speech guidance support.

Could anyone who has experience of either this hardware or the TurboDog mapping system give good points and bad points. Is it slow for example when searching the whole of Europe rather than just the UK?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/161002

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  2. andycotterell

andycotterell Read Only Funster

My guess is that it is the mapping that is compromised to achieve this price. Tele Atlas were the leading mapping company for first and second generation car Sat Nav systems, but I believe that they've been long since overtaken by the likes of Tom Tom.
    A current set of Tele Atlas maps for Europe (but not all of it) costs about £150. The maps on the My Guide system seem to extend about as far east as the standard offerings of 7 or 8 years ago so maybe they're suppling old versions.

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

TeleAtlas have been overtaken by TomTom in the sense that TomTom owns TeleAtlas - having bought the company a year or two ago.

TeleAtlas still supply mapping products to other customers as well as TomTom. Their web site gives the impression that their products are fresh, accurate and content rich (to paraphrase their terminology) so maybe the My Guide offering is simply country restricted rather than being old versions.

Graham