GPS Dingle probs

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by wivvy's dad, Jul 28, 2011.

1. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

I've just bought a GPS dongle to work with AutoRoute 2010 on a netbook while we travel, and to find campsites, aires etc etc.

:cry::cry:But it's a frustrating exercise trying to get it to work:cry::cry:

Anyone done it?

I've installed the drivers, and the extra piece of software to enable to usb port to act like a coms port (COM port 3; baud rate 4800).

The dongle is flashing, so I know it's powered by the usb port, and has locked on to a satellite.

But AutoRoute just refuses to recognise it.

All help gratefully received, and thanks in advance.

2. wivvy's dad

I guess that's a NO then.............................:Sad:

3. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

Yes I have that setup on my netbook and it works a treat, you have to turn text to speech on to hear anything:thumb:

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I have done it and it was a pain getting it to work.. If I recall correctly, once the dongle is live you have to go into Autoroute and tell it which port the dongle is using ... if your not sure just keep changing the port until it sees it.

It is good for telling you where you are exactly and the bonus is having a large screen but as a piece of navigation software I found it useless.. Perhaps because I was using Vista but it kept freezing up .. requiring a re boot..
    Another issue, my Sony Vaio has hard drive protection, this would lock up when you went over a bump and Autoroute would crash or freeze up.

All that aside, when you go off route it doesn't re route .. so I gave up on it, went back to using TT and used Autoroute just for planning ..

5. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Yes, making sure that autoroute knows which port you are using is vital with mine. Along with, if I remember, you have to use the port that you configured (?) the dongle to. I think you can have it configured to more than one if you forget which one you did, or it was less convenient than another you decide later. Autoroute still does need to know which you are using though. Clear as mud :thumb: Jane :BigGrin:

6. wivvy's dad

Guess what - it'll never work.

The dongle is NMEA 182 compliant, and AR2010 wants NMEA 2.

Hoping for refund

Thanks for all the replies guys.