Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi from the Dolomites .

It has been one of those days ! We thought that it would be a good idea to pick up some autogas for our Gaslow system since one of our bottles is empty . We stopped in two Garages where the attendants refused to serve us telling us that
It was not allowed in Italy and could result in a €5000 fine ! That is the first I have heard of it having had the system for 6 years now . The only problem has been finding stations in places like Austria but never a total refusal . Our second problem today was at a tollgate being closed where you pick a ticket ....the red light was on and the barrier down only telepass traffic was allowed through ! This resulted in some very illegal manoeuvres driving briefly on the wrong side of the road just to get out and instruct our GPS to take us on toll free roads which actually turned out to be a very scenic option ....all we need now is some nicer weather since at the moment it is tipping it down ...that and finding somewhere to fill our Gaslow bottle . Any info would be much appreciated on the gas situation.

Last edited:

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
Hi, your question made me do a bit of research, as I've had no problems in filling with LPG, but it would seem there used to be none Italy but that seems to have changed and if you want to check this web site,
http://www.mylpg.eu/stations/italy it gives addresses of LPG sites in Italy.
The refusal maybe Italian confusion about the use of the gas, ie for cooking, heating and not for the car engine. Anyway perhaps the website maybe of use, enjoy your trip:Smile:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We had a similar problem in the winter of 2011.

At the first station over the border from France along the coast, we filled up with Diesel and then went to the Autogas pump to fill up.

The attendant blankly refused to fill "gas for cooking"

We went to the next garage down the road, Pulled onto the forecourt and Joan went to ask if we could get gas. There was an Italian filling gas into a car and he spoke English and assured the attendant that it was OK to fill up our tank.

All of this was in a blizzard and well below freezing temperatures.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I never get diesel and LPG from the same station.
If you've already filled with diesel it is obvious that the LPG is not for road fuel, whereas if it's the only thing you're buying they will not query it if you have an external filler.

OP
OP
Cobweb

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks

Thanks folks . We did not pick up diesel at the same time . No panic yet since the first bottle lasted 20 days when it was really cold and we used the heating a lot . We will try to find an unmanned pump and if all else fails we will find one of the few suppliers in Austria . Usually our two bottles last us at least two months in a normal summer but this trip has been the rainiest and coldest we have made to france and Italy .

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
That's one of the reasons I fitted my gaslow filler to the outside of the MH last year, previously it was inside the gas bottle locker,
Also I remove the Gaslow sticker from the plastic filler cap, underneath is Autogas indented so used some white paint to make it stand out plus I used an Autogas sticker semi circle around the filler,
So to all intent and purposes to an onlooker the MH runs on LPG,
downside was convincing the chap at the Eurotunnel that it was only my gas for cooking/ heating,:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cobweb

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
GPL

Hi

Finally got some GPL in Lienz Austria in a place dedicated just for GPL . Relief !
There is bound to be a heat wave now !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back