Government slashes motoring red tape

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by wivvy's dad, Dec 18, 2011.

1. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 3
  2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

What's the catch ?

Less bodies in Swansea I guess. Yipppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Hope that doesn't mean we've got to go through the hassle of getting photo licences which we've never had to bother with so far.

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Useful abroad where they expect that sort of ID.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Another reason not to do abroad :Laughing:

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

extended sorn notification.......at last :thumb:

i have a car which is constantly sorned each year but easy to forget to do it (not so far :thumb:), resulting in a penalty and payment of back duty.

7. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

No Brian. They are getting rid of the 1200 usefull staff that man theDVLA local offices and closing them. We will only be able to deal with that lot at Swansea, god help us.

I remember as a young man that they were proposing to abolish road tax and put it on fuel. They put the price of fuel up but didn't abolish road tax.

Get rid of that bit of paper in the windscreen as well as insurance certificates and counterpart driving licences.

Also allow drivers at 70 that hold grandfather rights to C1+E to keep them for SDP purposes. Yes, have a medical to ensure that they continue to be fit but stop automatically removing the entitlement.

John

8. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

What a load of spin. Don't believe any of it.

According to Transport for London (TfL) If you are driving outside the LEZ and you are diverted into the LEZ by the Police as the road is closed for some reason, you will still be charged.

The onus is on you to prove that you were diverted stating when and where to entered the LEZ and the place and time you exited the LEZ.

TfL states that you have to the right to appeal the charge.

See this months (January 2012) edition of MMM.

So whilst the government says they are reducing red tape in fact they are increasing it.

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

According to TfL Here
    So, if there was an official diversion it should be a formality.

However, whatever the case it is nothing to do with government red tape. The LEZ is operated by TfL, not the government.

10. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

LEZ isnt mentioned.
    How is it relevant to the OP?
    Cant see that it is.

11. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

With these proposals, I can see a major problem for us motorhomers!

When our MH became a year old, we needed our insurance certificate to re-tax our vehicle! Because of the wait for our new insurance certificate, we had to get the certificate emailed so we could retax our vehicle on time!

We insure through a well-known broker and there was a delay of 2 weeks before our insurance showed on the MID (motor insurer's database)!:Angry:
    Because of that, we couldn't tax online!

We took the opportunity to tax for six months at that point to avoid the fiasco occurring in the future!

Removal of the need for a paper V5 and insurance certificate would have possibly resulted in a crushed motorhome!!!!!!:Angry:

12. harryoxford2

harryoxford2 Read Only Funster

Can this be true? If driving abroad will we still need to meet that country's requirements to show your insurance, its not sufficient that your own country cancells that offence. So I guess we will have to pay extra for the issue of the certificate to our Insurance company..whats fair do you think for that certificate...£95??? £1000???

• Like Like x 1
  13. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

From the link in the OP...

Other proposed changes to road transport regulations include:

Removing the need for an insurance certificate. The Department for Transport will work with the insurance industry on removing the need for motorists to have to hold an insurance certificate.
    Abolishing the requirement for drivers to prove they have insurance when applying for tax meaning 600000 more people will be able to tax their car online. This has been made possible by new checks of existing databases for insurance under new Continuous Insurance Enforcement rules. The DVLA’s records are compared regularly with the Motor Insurance Database (MID) to identify registered keepers of vehicles that appear to have no insurance.

Seems like taxing would be less problematical, not more..

You would actually be able to tax online, without waiting for your insurance certificate, or for the MID to be updated..... More simples.....:thumb:

If it ever comes into effect....:RollEyes:

As with the existing system, you could have re taxed your MH before your existing tax and insurance had expired.
    If your tax is due to run out at the end of the month, you can renew it from the fifth day of the month. Presumably your existing insurance would also still be valid till the end of the month, as with your road tax, so no problems.

Then no need for a 6 month disc, you save a few quid and give yourself one less thing to remember, (renew tax after 12 months not 6 mths.)

Callum.....:Smile:

14. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

I currently have insured 3 vehicles online, and another one (MH) by phone, direct with the insurance company.

On all of them I can go online to the insurer's websites, log in and print out my certificates as required, as well as policy summary, full schedule etc...

and for no charge...:thumb::thumb:

15. harryoxford2

harryoxford2 Read Only Funster

You computer techys are very cleva....you lost me after the first three words of the instruction...im old what can I say, plus I have a qwerty keyboard and in all my years on a computer I have never had to use the word qwerty....it all drifts ova me ed

• Like Like x 3
  16. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Using someones elses ink & paper then :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  17. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

In practice, this did not work.
    We renewed our insurance 2 weeks before it was due. As the renewal date approached, we had still not received our paper certificate.
    The MID was not updated until 2 weeks into the new insurance year!!
    DVLA would not issue a disc online for a period for which no insurance cover was apparent on the MID.
    So we had to take our reminder and an emailed insurance certicate to the post office and do it the old way!
    Our tax and insurance renewals overlap by six months now. We just tax online for 12 months as normal.
    The broker, by the way is Safeguard, the Insurer is Allianz. Both failed to get the MID updated in a timely manner.
    We needed our paper certificate to prove cover in these circumstances!:RollEyes:

18. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

After receiving A1 plus service from Swansea during the last ten days told by the stunningly helpful staff they they are being shut down sadly..................

19. estcres

I am glad you used the term "should be a formality" but time will tell.

I accept the LEZ is operated by TfL and not the Government but my point is still more paperwork for the motorist, especially if you do get diverted and have to keep some form of record of the incident, Ie Time, place, police details, route etc.

• Like Like x 1
  20. estcres

Question,

If you have an accident, how do you prove to the other party, and they prove to you, that you and they are insured?