Government’s response to motorhome parking

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mulaz, Jun 26, 2009.

1. mulaz

mulaz Read Only Funster

I signed a email petition last year for more motorhome parking.:active:
    “We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to provide stopping places for motorhomes.”
    Details of Petition:
    “We the undersigned respectfully ask that councils can provide stopping places or areas for the overnight stay of individual taxed and insured motorhomes.Many people like touring the UK in a home on wheels and the setting up of such stop over points might encourage them to visit towns and resorts they otherwise might not.This goverment has provided freedom to roam,freedom to stop and rest awhile whilst doing so would we are sure,prove popular.”
    Read the Government’s response

Thank you for your e-petition.
    Responsibility for policy on parking rests with the relevant local traffic authorities and it is for them to decide on appropriate policies that balance the needs of local residents, emergency services, local businesses, and those who work in and visit the area.
    The Government’s planning policy for caravan parks and related developments is set out in Planning Policy Statement 7: Sustainable Development in Rural Areas. PPS7 asks local planning authorities to allow appropriate facilities for tourism such as overnight stopping areas for motor-homes provided that they do not detract from the attractiveness or importance of a feature or the surrounding countryside.
    Local planning authorities should carefully weigh the objective of providing adequate facilities and sites with the need to protect landscapes and environmentally sensitive areas. Where appropriate, e.g. in popular holiday areas, local planning authorities should set out in their development plans policies for the provision of new sites. They should also ensure that any visual intrusion caused by such developments is minimised by high quality screening. Where possible these should be located near to villages and rural service centres.
    Further advice for motor-homes and travelling caravans is provided in the Good Practice Guide on Planning for Tourism published in May 2006.

as normal the reply from number 10 was lots of word without any commitment :thumbdown:

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

On the contrary, it gives the facts exactly as expected. See my post on This thread (10:55 pm 27 October).

Also, given that only 635 people signed it apart from you and I the government could easily be justified in thinking that the idea doesn't have widespread support.

Graham

3. Elvis

Elvis Read Only Funster

no storage in London either!

Well, I would love to know what thier excuse is for hardly any storage or overnight parking in London then! Hardly any 'beauty' to spoil here!!

It is a nightmare and an expensive nightmare, finding storage in SE London!!! £1000 a year!!! And could be miles away for some!:cry:

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

seems to me going by the reply letter that the un-enlightened have got the wrong end of the stick again......
    they seem to be refering to CARAVAN PARKS and not overnight rest areas(aires):Doh:

5. The Wallace

The Wallace Read Only Funster

Yet another wrongly worded petition sent to the wrong place. What did they expect? The government do have a bit more to worry about than 635 motorhomers so it is reasonable that the issue of parking is devolved to local councils.
    What a waste and devaluation of the petitions system.

The main problem with e-petitions is that there is no control on what is submitted - any group can promote their hobby horse.
    Hands up all those happy to see an Aire de Service positioned at the end of their street.

I am thinking of sending one in to make the provision of Barolo on prescription mandatory - it may have more chance of getting signatures.

6. pappajohn

Barolo???

(sheltered life:Blush:)

7. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

The guy in No 10 saved the world so he must be able to fix it for us !!! not

8. The Wallace

The Wallace Read Only Funster

Google is your link to the outside world.
    (outside motorhomes that is)
    Drink and enjoy!

9. pappajohn

Ah!!!! "Wine of kings, and king of wines".:thumb:

10. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

My local authority have just revamped their tourism website and in the accommodation section there is no mention whatsoever of any campsites,despite the fact that we have a Caravan Club site in the area.With this kind of attitude what can you hope for.
    I have written to the clowncil pointing out the error of their ways.
    See if you can find anything.
    Welcome to Wirral - Visit Wirral

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

here

Wirral Country Park Caravan Club Site - Where to Stay - Visit Wirral

:Laughing:

12. MME

MME Read Only Funster

Overnight parking for motorhomes

Firstly, thank you all who signed.

The message is clear, councils are expected to provide overnight stops.

Lobby your councillors.

Best regards
    John

13. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Well done-it must be me-when using the search facility at the top of the page it returns nothing.
    Thanks I do feel a pratt now (is there one handy?):Blush:

14. ImaHeadaU

ImaHeadaU Read Only Funster

bigfoot,

I too was able to find the information using the search feature by inputting camping.

Happy Trails!