Gothenburg stopover possibilities ?

Discussion in 'Denmark Norway Sweden Finland' started by iceclimber, Apr 12, 2016.

1. iceclimber

iceclimber Funster

Hi, we are traveling through Germany, Sweden, Finland, Sweden, Denmark & then back to UK during May and i'm doing pretty well in booking a mixture of camping sites & planning various stopovers (Stellplatz etc..) EXCEPT for one place .... Gothenburg !
    I wanted to stop at the Lisebergsbyn camping site (on the fringe of Gothenburg) 20 - 22 May but they are fully booked (bit surprised by that ?) but they have suggested their other site Askim Strand which is well south of Gothenburg and a very 'touristy / holiday' type site. Just what we don't want.

The motorhome park-up (also run by Liseberg as per the 2 camp sites) does not open until 1st June !

So, does anyone know of any other options for stopovers close to or "in" Gothenburg .... please ?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. dabhand

dabhand Funster Life Member

Kungsbacka, a short tram ride from the centre, has large car parks where you are able to stay, it's unlikely you would need to book, I am assuming you are aware of the right to roam in Sweden, ie you can stop virtually anywhere for a night

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Watching this with interest, as we will be in the Gothenburg area in August.

4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

CamperContact shows a couple of sites and an aire right in the middle. Worth downloading their app if you have a smartphone or tablet as it will be of use to on the rest of your travels I think. http://www.campercontact.com/en/alles?map=1&term=gothenburg&filter=|

This places looks open all year round but worth contacting them to check. http://www.campercontact.com/en/swe...motorhome-parking-lisebergsbyn-karralund.aspx

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

We have stayed there but for the life of me I can't remember where! If it comes to me I will post...sorry

6. iceclimber

iceclimber Funster

7. iceclimber

iceclimber Funster

excellent ........ have downloaded the full App ...... will see what it brings forth ? (y)

8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Quite a few on here use it. You have to sign up for a few pounds to get the full database. The free app only has about 10% just so you can have a play. Maps can be downloaded for use off line but the scale isn't as good as the online maps.

9. busby

busby Funster

We camped in Sweden 37 years ago,,,,still getting over how expensive it was,,,BUSBY:):):)

10. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

Can't help with anyone wanting to actually wanting to visit Gothenburg but if you're just after a cheapest overnight stop we stayed at a marina based parking area at Bua which is about 40 miles south of Gothenburg. Clean toilets, coin in the slot showers, free water/waste/wifi.

11. iceclimber

iceclimber Funster

Update ....... we gave Gothenburg a miss in the end and we stopped 20km due west of Gothenburg on an Island called Ockero. (the Parkings App was very good for finding places to stay ..... )

12. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Strangely enough we were in Gothenburg on Monday night. We went for the motorhome stopover and it was full, but on our way out we noticed a large car-park, almost empty, on the right down the hill. Turns out it is the carpark for a nature reserve so as such is almost empty overnight and doesn't fill up in the morning (obviously no facilities but you could maybe take your chances in the official site - it's unmanned). There were a dozen vans parked up so we joined them - cost was Sk20 for 24hrs. It's obviously unofficial but nobody bothered us.

A few minutes walk down the hill takes you to a tram stop where you can get a tram straight into the centre.