Got the bug

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by 2spritelyislanders, Sep 2, 2015.

1. 2spritelyislanders

2spritelyislanders Funster

:smiley: After a very sucessful first trip to France we now have the bug. We have read nearly every thread about travelling to France. Thank you fellow Funsters you have made our moho lives so much easier :smiley: So confident and positive are we, that we are planning to go back again in December for Christmas and New Year :smiley: We have 2 dogs and dont want a long crossing so while I would like to take the tunnel Mr. Spritely has been looking at other options. We met a couple in France who go from Dover to Dunkirk and Mr S is trying to persuade me to try this route. All and any advice will be very much appreciated as would ideas about places to go which will be warmer than good old Blitey :smiley: We dont need wall to wall sunshine and can put up with a bit of wind and rain but would like some warmth and sunshine every now and again so that Mr S doesn't need to pack his thermal undies :smiley: We've got quite an open timescale and like to plod along exploring, so the worlds our lobster ::bigsmile: I used to end all my correspondence when I was a working gal "look forward to hearing from you" the difference is that I really mean it this time ::bigsmile:

• Like Like x 2
  2. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

May I suggest the South of France, namely Provence area. It has been known to be extremely cold in winter, but equally it can be extremely hot. But whatever the weather, it is a very pretty region, and the wine is superb! Also, you are a stones throw from the Camargue!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Please excuse my ignorance, what is this Camargue ?

4. 2spritelyislanders

:smiley: Aha! how that for a swift response, dont you just love this forum. Thanks Daniel, the Carmargue sounds great, especially as I have a horse and would like to try a bit of riding while we're away :smiley:

• Like Like x 1
  5. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

The area below Provence, famous for the horses, there is (I believe) a particular breed of horse from that area. And best to visit in the winter, when the flies aren't an issue :D

6. 2spritelyislanders

:smiley: Quite right Daniel :smiley: the Carmargue is famous for it's white horses, born dark they get lighter as they get older and become a beautiful white (grey) colour, they are stunning :smiley:

7. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

if visiting the camargue be sure to visit Arles and see the roman coliseum where horse shows are still held, visit the shops in front of it for unique models of people in local dress, every one of them different. Park for free in the huge free aire by the river.

8. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Thanks Daniel Ford.

9. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Just in case anyone is in any doubt the Camargue is famous for horses, bulls, flamingoes and mosquitoes! Our family lost several pints of blood half a century ago when we camped there. I suspect the mosquitoes are even now still talking about that legendary feast.

• Like Like x 1
  10. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

It is the Rhone Delta area of France. Agree it is a beautiful place, but for the mosquitos. Another word of warning - probably best to not eat the molluscs. We used to love Moules, but about 30 years ago had a bad batch there in a restaurant (don't ask me to describe what happened!) and both of us are now allergic to them. The Rhone then was not very clean, and the mussels filter the water.

Dam annoying nowadays when the table next to you orders them.

11. Cobweb

Cobweb

Yes the pink flamingoes are lovely and the mozzies voracious . We stayed in an aire in Aigues Mortes a few years ago in the spring and the mozzies were not too bad then .Many years ago we passed through on a sailboat on the canal and were eaten alive .

12. tuftywufty

tuftywufty Funster

Ha gives new meaning to the title of this thread :D Didn't realise the Carmargue has a mossie problem. We visited in May a couple of years ago and loved it and didn't notice them.